1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phil Jackson is offended by Adam Silver's comment

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...ver-thoughts-new-york-knicks-triangle-offense

NEW YORK -- Knicks president Phil Jackson didn't appreciate NBA commissioner Adam Silver sharing his thoughts on the team's new triangle offense.

Silver jokingly said it "clearly" looked like the Knicks were "still learning" the triangle after their loss to the Detroit Pistons on Wednesday.

Jackson on Monday addressed the commissioner's comments.

I wasn't so humored by the commissioner actually jumping in on top of that, too. He doesn't need to get in on that. There's enough focus on [the] triangle.

- Knicks president Phil Jackson
    "I wasn't so humored by the commissioner actually jumping in on top of that, too," he said. "He doesn't need to get in on that. There's enough focus on [the] triangle. It's not anything. It's a system. It's simple basketball. Just play the game. We're over the triangle; let's get to business and play the right way."

Jackson, unprompted, offered his thoughts on Silver during a session with reporters before the Knicks' 91-85 loss to the Atlanta Hawks.

Silver was asked about the Knicks' new offense Thursday prior to their loss to the Brooklyn Nets.

"I watched the Knicks' game last night," Silver said with a laugh. "Clearly, they're still learning the triangle. I still don't understand it. But they're learning it. But that's what the game is all about. You have a new coach; you have a new president of basketball operations in Phil Jackson; you have a couple new players on the team."

The Knicks (2-6) struggled on both ends of the floor through the first eight games of the season.

1 person likes this.
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He doth protest too much

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We should have a sticky thread: The Official "Someone is offended" thread.

4. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Phil Jackson needs to STFU. I usually like his candid interviews and humor but in this particular case he is overly sensitive.

Well Phil....it's time you deal in reality. You don't have Jordan, Kobe, or Shaq this season so instead of getting your feelings hurt when someone bashes ur Knicks just deal with it.

Should be interesting to see moving forward when the Knicks are 20 games under .500

5. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

He's not overly sensitive, he just doesn't think its appropriate to have the COMMISSIONER make snide comments about the coaching strategy/philosophy, especially when the commissioner admitted he doesn't understand the offense all that well.

Did Stern ever make snide comments about a coach's philosophy ever? Its very bizarre for the commissioner to comment on any team, management or performance, to the public, has nothing to do with overly sensitive society (which I agree with by the way).

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He should be offended by the contract he gave Carchuckelo.

7. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

What does Stern have to do with this?

It's a joke. Grow a pair PJ.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

is his royal heinous the cummissioner gonna be fined $100k now?

9. Buck Turgidson

Pretty much this.

10. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I have no idea what the triangle is

looks like they are learning it still

WOT

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Adam Silver is too big of a basketball fan to have no comment on the Knicks.

12. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Since when did Phil start hanging out with Parsons?

13. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Chandler Parsons is offended that Phil Jackson is Offended

14. hakeemthagreat

Adam Silver is the commissioner of the NBA. He has no place cracking jokes about a NBA team in the developmental phase. It's not about Phil

15. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Adam Silver should just say, "My predecessor would have fined GM Phil Jackson heavily for that response, but I will just take it as an affirmation of what I said. His team is still learning the triangle, and Jackson is still learning how to be a GM."

16. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

ooops, Jackson is the new President of Basketball operations, not GM.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

And it's not appropriate for a team employee to publicly reproach the commissioner. It's just bad PR. The commissioner's comments were lighthearted throw-away comments that Jackson should have laughed off. By being offended, he makes himself look insecure, makes people think more critically of the Knicks' underperformance, and opens the spectre of personality conflicts between the league and one of its biggest franchises. Maybe Silver was slightly off-message in his public comments, but Jackson **** the bed.

18. shtinkee

shtinkee Member

Wholeheartedly agree. I don't find Silver's remarks to be snide, inappropriate, or condescending to the Knicks team or organization. On top of that, he is right. The Knicks, from top to bottom, are going through growing pains with regard to the new regime. It's natural.

In my opinion, Jackson is incredibly thin-skinned. It seems he is so used to people falling all over him that he can't take any slights, perceived or otherwise. He may the greatest NBA coach of all time, but I find him an arrogant ****.

19. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Yet another example of a person's insecurity blowing up a non-story into an unnecessarily bigger deal. Mountain out of a molehill.

Phil Jackson needs to relax and grow a pair. Verbally scolding the commissioner is not a good look. He should have either kept quiet or responded with his own lighthearted funny comment.

Silver's comment was obviously humorous and harmless, but he may want to stay above the fray in the future.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I suppose that it could be a bit inappropriate for the Commish to joke about a team. Needing to both be and appear neutral and all. Not that this means the League office will scrutinize Knicks' trades any more than it does any other team's trades or something but you don't want fans, who often believe in conspiracy theories anyway, to feel that their team is discriminated against.

But it is kind of funny that Phil Jackson of all people gets offended by someone else's joking/sarcastic comment when Jackson himself has constantly sent public barbs at everyone from his own players to opposing teams.