1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phil Jackson is 6-8 after losing game 1: Rockets need to keep fighting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by code_red, May 5, 2009.

1. code_red

code_red Member

Alot of people cite the number of teams in the NBA that go on to win the series after winning game 1 (over 75%). That stat is completely irrelevant - the relevant stat is Phil Jackson is 6-8 after losing game 1:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=Lakers-090505

Kobe has also been in this situation before and he has come back to win a series after losing game 1. Heck, Kobe and Phil came back after losing the first 2 games against the Spurs in 2004:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2004/series?series=lalsas

The bottom line is, the Rockets need to come out fighting like they did in game 1 and not get complacent. I have faith that they will keep their foot on the gas tomorrow night, but it will be much harder tomorrow as the Lakers won't be over confident anymore, and the Lakers will take the Rockets much more seriously this time around.

Go Rockets!

1 person likes this.
  2. dafranchise0309

He is also 42-0 when his team wins Game 1...Another reason why we should all believe!

3. redao

redao Member

what about Adelman's stat after 1:0?

4. code_red

code_red Member

Shh, don't jinx it FFS

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

of those 14 series which jackson lost game 1, how many were at home? and what is his record in this situation?

i'd like to compare that with adelman's record after winning game 1 on the road.

6. SeeingRocketRed

Screw the stats about Team X winning whatever percentage if they win blak blah blah. JUST FINISH THEM. Win the next game, every night. Period.

7. theimpossibles1

That's insane. 42-0 when he wins game 1. 6-8 when he doesn't. You know his psyche is rattled deeply. Not only was it a home game for him, but with a team that is a huge favorite.

CAPITALIZE.

8. NafeesLACC

NafeesLACC Member

I'm so glad we avoided that First game curse against Jackson.

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Stats about different teams? Wow this is stupid guys, anyone who has taken statistics can tell you those are worthless in determining the outcome of the playoffs when so many variables are involved. That's why the first round curse was stupid and only a myth.

10. tslee98

tslee98 Contributing Member

They had a guy who goes by several different names back then: The Big Aristotle / MDE / Shaq. Can you point to anyone on their roster (or even two or three guys) who adds up to Shaq's impact? But this is all nonsense. The Rockets are in a great position. Game 2 is an opportunity to drive a nail in the coffin. Go Rockets!

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Anyone else get the feeling that the Lakers are still over confident about winning this series? After hearing Phil, and Kobe talk after practice today, they might as well just call game 1 a fluke. It makes me feel better when I look at the stats.

Rebounds Hou-35 La-39 Offensive rebounds(+6 la)

Assist Hou-16 La-18

Turnovers Hou-16 La-13

Bench points Hou-16 La-18

I look at the stats and then shake my head and say "HOW"...?

Von Wafer didnt score a single point.

Scola wasnt himself.

Derek Fishers lack of quickness will make him a dead weight on defense is Brooks stays aggressive. If Aaron keeps it up, we very well may win this series.

12. MisterPink

MisterPink Member

One of the things I love about this Rockets team is that they are certainly well aware of the fact that the series is far from over. They have lost countless games after being in a position to win, and I don't think they've forgotten the playoff futility. They will fight tooth and nail until its over.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

me too.

too many turn overs. poor rebounding, especially on the defensive end (giving up so many o-reb to the lakers).

if the rockets focus on improving in those areas, it doesn't matter if the lakers take it to another level because the rockets will already be there. also, if the lakers focus on taking yao out of the game like the blazers did, expect scola and battier to capitalize. those two guys weren't big factors in game one. they might be the x factors for the rockets this series.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The Lakers are very nonchalant for having just lost on their home floor. All I have heard is it's no big deal from the players and Philip except for Gasol and Bynum who blamed the refs. These guys had a great regular season but don't have any reason to be this confident after a loss. It makes me wonder if they are a bit scared and their reaction is to just downplay the loss instead of displaying the usual frustration, anger and promises to come out swinging in game 2 like you would expect.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The attitude of Ron Artest, Shane Battier, Luis Scola, and Yao Ming wont let this team be satisfied with game 1. If we can take game 2 then we are in a hell of a position.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

excellent point.

kobe and phil say it's no big deal, we can win on the road, etc... gasol and bynum blame the refs as you said.

meanwhile on the winning side, ron says "kobe had a lot of shots that couldve gone in. he could've had 40 or 50 tonight. this could've been a loss so we have a lot of work to do and we have to come in here ready for battle in game 2." <--paraphrased from nbatv interview.

lets hope the lakers think they can just "turn it on" while the rockets come to fight again.

1 person likes this.
  17. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

at least we know who has the winning attitude.. if this keeps up, we can also assume the lakers don't have what it takes to win a championship--even if we're not the ones to end their journey.

18. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Yeah.

I get that feeling, too.

What I can't seem to bring myself to believe is that Phil Jackson lets that mindset continue. If losing the opening game of a semifinal series on your home court doesn't get your attention, nothing will.

Jackson's got more mind tricks than a Jedi. But he said it himself on more than one occasion, as far back as last season.

The Rockets play with a special chemistry and energy. They play FOR each other. They've done that for a while now (...yes, I'm afraid even last season, too). And Jackson knows better than anybody what that could mean to a team's confidence. He himself once won a playoff game playing his bench and overcoming a double-digit deficit in the fourth quarter with both Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen on the bench.

Jackson and the Lakers HAVE to know that he's got his work cut out him...

.....doesn't he?

19. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Maybe we don't have all the variables..

maybe tomorrow night's game will be the worst officiated game since Game 6 of the SAC-LAL series in 2005...

Here's to hoping that the NBA has integrity in a time where not even our government can claim the same.

20. drobsnightmare

Last time I checked, Phil Jackson hasn't played since 1980. I'm not concerned about it.