1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pharmacist

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Real Shady, May 10, 2010.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'm sure I'll draw the rage of some pissed off pharmacist, but I'm trying to figure out why they get paid so much. Because at first glance they look like a glorified GNC employee.

To be a pharmacist it seems like you need a basic skill set. 1. Read English 2. Basic math 3. Work a stapler.

You have to first be able to read a Doctor's prescription to find out what type of medicine you need to put into the bottle. 2. If the Doc recommends medication for a weeks worth at two pills per day that's 2 x 7 = 14 pills in the bottle. 3. Lastly you must put the bottle of pills in a bag and seal with a staple.

Is this worth $100k per year?

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Pharmacy school is more competitive to get into than most other types of grad programs.

3. Steve_Francis_rules

Don't pharmacists also have to make sure that the medication you are getting doesn't cause problems with any of your other medications?

4. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

So why aren't you a pharmacist then? :rolleyes:

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

They require an extensive an detailed knowledge of drug interactions and mechanisms to ensure that you don't end up killing yourself. In the end, they are responsible for giving the final "go" to a prescription filled out by ANYONE at the Pharmacy, including the techs. Subsequently, they can be prosecuted to the full extent of the law if you end up with a horrible combination under their watch. They also serve a vital role in the community by educating about many different medical topics.

Your description sounds more like a pharmacy tech :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I've wondered the same thing.

7. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

lol its more complicated than that..they have to see if the medicine you are taking will have any adverse effects on you based on any other type of medication you may be taking, also they take contraindications into consideration , etc.

8. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

Go to UH and try to get into the pharm program. There is your answer.

9. New Jack

New Jack Member

Ask Heath Ledger and Michael Jackson why pharmacists are paid a lot.

If they had competent pharmacists overseeing the meds they were taking, they’d still be alive.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why not have a computer program for that. They are perfect for the tasks you described.

11. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

What a genius idea! :rolleyes:

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

have you ever tried reading a doctor's handwriting? it takes years to learn to decipher the language on the fly.

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Thank God. I can now sleep at night.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_money_does_a_pharmacy_technician_earn

14. shastarocket

They do, but you can never completely replace that kind of expertise and experience. I used to ask the same kind of question when it came to a physician. The answer remains the same.

15. shastarocket

I didn't mean to be sarcastic, I am merely stating the facts. Yeah, 100K is a hell of a lot of money, but it is definitely not a job that any person can do. A pharmacy tech performs according to the description in your original post, not a pharmacist.

16. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

they do have computer programs for certain information but have you ever asked your pharmacist a question? they are pretty damn knowledgeable. i think we even have one on this board.

and some pharmacists actually work for pharmaceuticals researching developing drugs so they don't all work at your local cvs

17. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

I guess you don't have any friends who are pharmacists. I always ask my pharmacist buddy for a second opinion on drugs/prescriptions that my doctor says I should take. Pharmacists have to have a deep understanding about the drugs they work with. They don't just fill bottles and follow instructions as you presumed.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Research is something completely different.

19. DreamRoxCoogFan

In comparison to other health-related graduate schools, this is not true.

20. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Researchers probably get paid even more. Just because a pharmacist isn't conducting research, doesn't me he or she doesn't have the knowledge to do so.