1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PG situation - Mike Bibby and Aaron Brooks - How much longer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Aaron Brooks needs to see the court more.

Perhaps after this initially brutal schedule.

Many would say he's sitting in line behind Stevie.Francis is more of a two as far as I'm concerned though.

Then again we might actually deal for Bibby who knows this offense and has a monsterous expiring contract in a couple of years.It's really a shame he got hurt when he did.
    But even so if we make this move then Aaron could be the backup in this situation.I could really see this team making up big ground if we have these two as our PG's.Even at 80 - 90 % Bibby helps with those "growing pains".

Still again many might say."oh,Aaron's a rookie and won't see the court much if at all for another year."

I think we need to deal for Bibby,but definitely let Brooks start to get some minutes.IMO he's the real deal.

Let's have some takes on the PG situation(especially how much sense a Bibby deal makes) and Mr.Brooks.

#1 Plowman, Nov 27, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  2. stingray88

stingray88 Member

How bout Battier, Alston, Head, James, and first round pick for Bibby and Artest.

3. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Brooks imho is basically the ideal PG Adelman would like to run this team. the only problem is experience...but hopefully his time will come.

4. Plowman

Supporting Member

As much as I like Shane,THAT is a deal I would jump all over.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Bibby will not be a Rock:

Reportedly Maloof X 2 will not 'help' Adelman.
    There is no way a team (Sac in this case) takes a load of crap to cut o dump a Bibby. I do expect MB to be traded, and a 3way may be requisite.

Brooks? Who knows? What's happening in practice? I'd love him as a change of pace guy, like a younger Boynkins. Hey, there is an Earl sitting on his arse - want a 5th '1'?

Back to the question: if one could upgrade one position would it be the 1...or the 4? I like Scola's morphing into an NBA player, but Garnett he ain't. I love Chuckie, but the man has a deficiency or two.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Running the point takes natural skills and a lot of experience. Brooks played more as a scorer in college.He might be able to run the point as a backup some day,maybe I'm wrong but expectations shouldn't be high right now IMO.
    Acquiring Bibby is going to be tough and even if we do get him,will he be able to overcome his disappointing season last year quickly enough after coming back from an injury?

7. Plowman

Supporting Member

Yeah,I remember hearing that about the Maloofs....

On the 4 I'd like a long, athletic guy that could come in and play 15 - 25 minutes/night and give us solid rebounding and interior defense.
    Scola's definitely a keeper...He just needs spot help from a 6'9" - 6'11" PF.As much as I love Chuck we need to do it.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Back to the question: if one could upgrade one position would it be the 1...or the 4? I like Scola's morphing into an NBA player, but Garnett he ain't. I love Chuckie, but the man has a deficiency or two.[/QUOTE]
    We aren't likely to get a Garnett or even a Boozer.Scola can become a good PF with time and experience.Who knows even Landry might turn out to be a useful player. The PG spot is a bigger need.

9. Plowman

Supporting Member

In college Aaron played with a 5' 7" point...and considering his outside shooting and ability to get to the rack,Brooks was the MAN.
    We both know he dropped because GM's weren't sure about this very question.I live in Tahoe over half the year and got to see Aaron play quite a bit and he hasn't done anything to disuade me from my thinking watching him back in college.Saleem,I honestly believe we stole him.The guy has a feel for the point.I know it's early in the season and I might be pressing this because of our woes at the 1,but Aaron eventually is going to be a stud.

Biibby's familiarity with this offense even where he is would do wonders for us.

On Landry,I agree,he's a player......Perhaps more of a 3/4 though maybe?

10. kwng

kwng Member

Ab could get some PT if only Adelman does not stick to 8-9 man rotation.
    At this early of the season, I hope Adelman can try various combinations
    and give PT to all players. I believed if AB can control his nerve he perform
    very well. Hopefully AB will get a chance to develop by getting some PT
    and become our future PG. Rockets does not have a good PG quite awhile.
    Yao need a good PG that can penetrate, score and make lob passes. When we
    get a good PG, we will then definitely contend.

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I might be all alone out on an island by saying this but I would prefer Cassell over Bibby.

12. Htown57

Htown57 Member

I think he'll start to get time--the question is, whose minutes will he take? I figure at first he'll get 8 or so minutes coming at the end of the first/ part of the second quarter, and then he'll start taking someone elses minutes. With the rise of francis (who i expect to stick in the rotation) i figure it's either Alston or James who loses the PT. Neither of them has really earned it.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

No, the island is inhabited - but, with medical personnel for our beloved but aged Sammy?

14. fadeawayjae

fadeawayjae Member

Yeah and it seems Head is not working out here so he might be traded before the deadline to acquire another big man. Also James might be moved by next year if he doesn't learn how to share the ball.

15. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Brooks is not ready.

16. FFz

FFz Member

BRING BACK JON BARRY!!!!

17. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand the logic behind not playing brooks. I understand he is a rookie and needs to learn more but didn't the rockets offer the spurs a conditional ( if aaron brooks is gone) first round pick for scola. We passed up our first opportunity by making brooks the deal breaker. Now Scola is working his way into the starting rotation as expected, while brooks has only taken 2 shots( both makes).

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I just have a problem with paying him all that money. $13.5 million + a trade kicker means he'd be making more than Yao. It also means we would probably have to part with Battier, Scola or somebody else of significance in order to even get him in the first place.

On the salary note, I understand that his deal is off the books after next season so it makes the gamble semi-tolerable, but I still just don't know.

With Cassell it wouldn't cost an arm & a leg. Cassell fits the leader role that everybody keeps complaining about plus is there a smarter player in the league? Is there another PG that you would rather have in the 4th quarter taking big shots and quarterbacking games down the stretch? There aren't many names that should be mentioned ahead of Cassell in regards to those aspects of the game.

Rafer/Head for Cassell. Worst case scenario is he gets hurt but we get out of Rafer's deal and force somebody else to overpay Luther in a couple years. Best case scenario is we have a solid "closer" type player that could help eliminate our problems holding leads in the 4th quarter. Basically, a player perfect for the "win now" mentality.

19. tomjc

tomjc Member

The rockets become the Kings, why not try to get kevin martin while you're at it

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

My friend who's a lifelong King fan, who announced its "Reggie Nation" this year, almost confirms from the fan perspective that the Maloofs won't make a deal to an Adelman team or the Lakers. I'd say chances of getting Bibby or anyone off that team, unless its hugely lopsided in their favor, are .3% chance to none.