1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Peyton Manning to the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Roc Paint, May 31, 2015.

1. Major

Major Member

If it's a one-year deal and you're drafting a QB of the future, then you absolutely sign him if he passes your basic physicals. There's really no harm unless you think the team is building something with Hoyer. And your QB-of-the-future gets a year to learn about preparation/playcalling/etc from one of the best of all time.

Manning didn't have an arm last year either, but he's smart enough to be effective by knowing exactly where and when to throw the ball and what line protections to call. His problem this year is that he can't plant on his foot. But assuming that is healed by next season, there's no reason he can't be an above-average QB.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Well, dude is basically not going to play football for 7 months, and you only sign him if he 1) passes a physical and 2) takes a Tom Brady-esqe discount.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

And 3) still draft a QB in the 1st round.

4. awc713

awc713 Member

Yup. At the very least, simply having his mind in the locker room is worth a roster spot, IMO. Hell, I'd give him whatever FO or coaching position he wanted, short of HC, though I'm not sure that's what he wants to do after he hangs it up.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah; I like the idea of him mentoring a young QB, assuming he's open and willing. And I'm intrigued by him getting what amounts to at least an extra seven weeks off (did the article mention playoff plan?) to heal.

Having said that... What does 100% health for 39-year old Peyton Manning even look like? Would he be an upgrade over Hoyer at this point?...

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'm inclined to believe that we have nothing to lose by trying him for a year while drafting a QB to groom behind him (and keeping Hoyer as insurance).

He threw 39 TDs last year, then this year they try to fit him into Kubiak's system AND he has clearly been hurt. I'd give him one more shot.

7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

If I'm Peyton I have to look at the Texans and think that I could do much worse in terms of a place to finish my chase for a ring.

1) Good defense
    2) Familiar places & faces
    3) Softest division in football

8. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

4) Get back at the Colts.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

is there a way for the texans to sign peyton this season? do they have the cap room to make it worthwhile for the broncos to release manning and reduce their cost?

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

He was younger and less removed from surgery when he joined Denver and the Broncos are now trying to get rid of him. And not because they have Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers. It's for Brock Osweiler.

11. Major

Major Member

And $19MM in salary. None of us have any idea how good Osweiler might become or how highly they rate him. No one knew Aaron Rodgers or Steve Young would be who they are until they played.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't think they're building anything long term with Hoyer...but I think Hoyer gives them a better chance to get to the playoffs at this point than Manning does....mostly because I think Manning is shot. I could be totally wrong...but this season, Hoyer has been head and shoulders better than Peyton Manning and I can't believe I just typed that.

13. conquistador#11

change the thread to Drew brees to the texans? =)

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Who signed that contract? Rick Smith? Fire him! That contract is more reason why they won't just cut him unless he is not worth. That's like throwing money away.
    Steve Young was brought in to replace Montana. Rodgers was drafted to replace Favre. I don't think this is the case with Brock. Kubiak still said as of yesterday that Peyton is the starter if he can get healthy. If they move on from him, then he must not be healthy.

15. body slam

body slam Member

I was thinking the same thing. I just don't know if they can afford him.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... there's also the fact that once a player looks about done, he's usually done.

Kurt Warner and Carson Palmer are the only possible playesr that comes to mind that experienced resurrections... and neither had the age or wear/tear that Manning still has.

Manning also defied the odds once by not only coming off a career-threatening neck surgery, but playing at an MVP level. Odds are decidedly against him that he can do it again.

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Late career performance improvement you say?

Brett Favre (40)
    Kurt Warner (37)
    Carson Palmer (36)
    Rich Gannon (37)
    Warren Moon (39)
    Boomer Esiason (37)
    John Elway (38)
    Steve Young (37)
    Joe Montana (36)
    Tom Brady (38)
    Randall Cunningham (35)
    Vinny Testaverde (35)
    Kerry Collins (36)
    Jim Plunkett (38)

The list goes on.

It's shockingly common how many good-to-great QBs put together near career-high stats late in their playing years.

I very much believe that Manning's performance has tanked due to cummulative injuries and he will have a nice season next year before hanging it up.

#137 DonnyMost, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Never said a player can't do something late... Manning himself has already proven that once.

I merely said you can't be declared nearly "done"... and then routinely come back to an elite level performance.

Add Randall Cunningham do my previous list of Warner and Palmer as guys who were left for dead... and again, all of them younger/healthier/better arms than Manning has now.

#138 Nick, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  19. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I don't really consider Manning's first hiatus him being "done". He didn't show signs of significant regression as a football player. Dude just had a bad luck injury that nearly ended his career.

I don't expect Manning to ever be MVP again. But top 10? Sure.

And while Peyton may be older than almost all of them were, he is also likely more talented than they were, too.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Neither do I... I considered him to be on the decline last year (couldn't throw more than 10 yards in the playoffs), and that has continued this year with new health problems coming into the forefront. I consider "now" as the close to being done that is much harder to come back from.

He doesn't have the arm strength, still has questions about his neck, and now is having leg/foot issues. He's a better offensive coordinator/game-planner and has better instincts than those other guys.. but unfortunately, that's not what I'd consider as a talent.... and the instincts typically suffer when the body is not willing.