1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pettite's return delayed....

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Uprising, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Pettitte's return delayed

06/07/2004 11:57 PM ET
    By Jim Molony / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- With less than a week remaining until the day Andy Pettitte had hoped to be activated from the disabled list, general manager Gerry Hunsicker is not very optimistic that the left-hander will be ready to pitch at that time.
    Pettitte went on the DL on June 2, retroactive to May 27, and was planning to prepare to pitch in Milwaukee on June 13, the final game of the Astros' 12-game road trek.

But the strained muscle in Pettitte's left forearm hasn't progressed as quickly as Hunsicker would have liked, and a Sunday return looks unlikely.

"I would say that's very doubtful at this point, given the fact that we only have seven days until that start and he hasn't even been up on the mound yet to throw a bullpen [session]," said Hunsicker. "I would say that's certainly in jeopardy at this point."

Hunsicker declined to give a timetable for Pettitte's return.

"Nothing's in concrete," he said. "The longer a player is out, the more likely it is that he's going to need at least one rehab appearance to test out the injured area. All you can say is that right now he's able to do certain things. The next step is to get up on the mound. Once he gets up on the mound, then we'll see what happens from there."

Hunsicker said that he is frustrated by the situation.

"It's frustrating, but it's part of the game," he said. "In my position I've got to anticipate these things. It's not fun. [But Chicago's] Kerry Wood is still on the disabled list. Mark Prior's missed a lot of time. It's part of the game, unfortunately. But with what we've put together here, the expectations we have and the importance that Pettitte has on this team, certainly, it's frustrating."

Astros Article

2. Moiz.Hafeez

Moiz.Hafeez Member

Damn it, they get Prior back and we lose Pettitte. Hopefully, it's not too bad. Duckworth is HORRIBLE

3. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

This vexes me, this vexes me terribly . . . :mad:

Has their been any word of someone else stepping in for Duckworth???

4. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

this SUCKS!!!!!!

5. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Hidalgo for Freddy Garica

6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Crap!!!

I hope this is the final time he's on the DL this season...

7. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

my bet is we won't see Pete Munro work again until the last game in Milwaukee (sunday?), because it is him that will be making the next start in spotting Pettitte, NOT Duckworth.

8. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Exlplain to me why on earth would Seattle make that deal? Hidalgo has been slumping horribly for 6 weeks and is in the final year of a huge contract.

9. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I wish Clutch could put a filter on this forum so that anyone who includes Hidalgo as the principle figure of any trade will be automatically banned.

Listen, people...Hidalgo has zero trade value to the sellers in trade talks, and we are not in a position to be sellers ourselves. Therefore, unless we trade a package of prospects...and include Hidalgo as a thrown in, with us paying his salary...he is not going anywhere.

10. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more. Especially since were in a pennant race. You don't trade a critical part of our offense in the middle of the season. Besides, maybe Hidalgo can hit in the playoffs. :confused:

We've already got a pretty nasty 4 man rotation for the playoffs. Which is all you need. Miller did great in his 1 playoff game vs the Braves. Pettite always wins game #2 in the playoffs. Roger is a warrior and Oswalt can match any teams #1 pitcher.

Now with Everett, we can finally play small ball when needed in the playoffs. With our pitching, that just might be enough.