1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PETITION: Morey/McHale... Please play Royce White at PG in Summer League!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by woodtee, Jul 13, 2012.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Just sign Alexey Shved and be done with it!:grin:

2. Morey=Money

Morey=Money Member

The OP and I are not talking about him playing point when the season starts only in summer league to see what he can do. Besides it would put Lamb in the starting line up.

Royce
    Lamb
    Parsons
    Jones
    D-Mo

That would be my starting line up fir summer league.

3. zxcvbn193

zxcvbn193 Member

Why play him as PG if in NBA u plan palying him in other position. That would be just waste of talent and summer camp for him.

4. prs325

prs325 Member

^^^^ this

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Except they play two different positions. :rolleyes:

6. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

This would definitely explain the rationale behind some of your posts....

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

signed!

8. woodtee

woodtee Member

After watching the beginning of game 3 in Summer League, I think McHale or Morey heard our plea. Royce has really been bringing up the ball more and FINALLY is looking like a decent player. I think he can be special but he needs the ball in his hands. Roaming around ballless makes him ineffective.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I am really starting to warm up to this idea. He just needs to cut down on his turnovers.

10. TigerBait

TigerBait Contributing Member

Roaming around ball-less would make most men ineffective.

11. woodtee

woodtee Member

Good to hear that bc I really wouldn't mind seeing him as our backup PG to Lin. He passes better than anyone in Summer Team, drives in better than the other PGs, will defend smaller guards well & dribbles just as well too.

12. ISYOOHOO

ISYOOHOO Member

Royce led ISU in scoring, rebounds, assists, blocks, steals, and you guessed...turnovers. It takes a little while for teams to get on the same page, especially with so many players playing together for such a short time. I was hoping he would reduce his turnovers once he got to the NBA. It is hard to determine how well he would react in the transition. A lot of the times where he would turn it over and I thought ahead to his NBA career, I felt like a lot of times the NBA talent level would have prevented the turnover. The combination of identifying when a pass would be coming and the higher athletic ability to receive a pass would make a lot of those that were unsuccessful at ISU into high quality plays at the next level. The jump from college teammates to NBA teammates should see that improvement. In the summer league, Royce is still new to his teammates and most of them are recent college graduates themselves. As he becomes familiar with the team and has more experienced NBA talent around him on the court, I feel his turnovers will decrease or must decrease in order for him to be successful at this level.

As for those wondering about his PG abilities, the reason he had the ball so much last season in college is because we had no traditional PG on the roster. We had four transfers play for the first time together last year with the strategy implemented by our new coach of two years to get the program back to a high level early on. Three of those players were starters and Royce was the tallest player in the starting line up at 6'8" with only two taller players on the roster (both 6'9" one freshmen one transfer.) In a guard oriented line up that we had, Royce was excellent at bringing the ball up against a smaller player because he could get it to a mismatch with a guard against a big where we had the quickness then he could post up or run the pick and roll to set up our shooters or give him a strength and size advantage on the block. I do not feel this would be as successful a strategy in the NBA. If he had a big on him, he could draw them out then penetrate to kick it out to our shooters which we had plenty. If there is no help then he just takes it strong to the hoop because if there is one thing Royce carries from the college level to the NBA that will translate directly, it is his strength. This would be the more effective strategy for Royce in the NBA. I'm not sure how he would fare against smaller defenders while running the point because of his poor perimeter shooting.

13. fawadhm

fawadhm Member

Houston F Royce White

Kevin Arnovitz ‏@kevinarnovitz

Houston F Royce White had 7 dimes/27 mins. Can't recall a big man willfully making plays like a PG in Summer League game.

14. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

In 2k12 I downloaded a roster from live.

Played the entire game with:

Royce
    Lamb
    Morris
    Parsons
    Jones

Beat the heck out of my friend, but let's be real... this idea is one for the sticks only.

15. jbasket

jbasket Member

16. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Sup Royce.

Edit: Noticed he/she has been a member since 2009... This is their first post? :S

17. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Out of our 3 rookies white has been the most disappointing.

With that said, i think it has more to do with how well our 2 other rookies are playing. Lamb looks like he will be a very good scorer in the league while Jones showed some athleticism and ball handling skills that i did not expect.

18. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

OP is a Euro stash

1 person likes this.
  19. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Give him some time. Its still very early but we'll see how well he will be at mid season.

20. IA Rocket

IA Rocket Contributing Member

Being an ISU graduate and living 20 miles from Ames, I watched a lot of Royce's games. He's the real deal. He does play the best with the ball in his hands. I've always been concerned about how his play of needing the ball would translate to the NBA when he isn't the primary guy. Also concerned about his anxiety issues, but so far so good.