1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Peter King article on the 2005 Draft. A Must See, and you will laugh all day!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by robroy77, Oct 26, 2009.

1. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

THE 49ERS and the Dolphins picked the wrong year to be selecting at the top of the NFL draft. The early book on next April's player pool: very few sure things at the top of the board, but lots of good mid-first-rounders. "This is the year to have the 12th pick, not the second," a college scout for one NFL team said on Monday. It's too early to know which players, such as fourth-year junior quarterback Matt Leinart of USC, might declare early for the draft, but here are the top five prospects who are now eligible, four seniors plus former USC wideout Mike Williams, who unsuccessfully tried to enter the 2004 draft after his sophomore season.

1. ANTREL ROLLE, CB, Miami

A player the 49ers, who desperately need a cover corner, should pick; he's a physical tackler too.

2. MIKE WILLIAMS, WR, USC Smooth, athletic and mature, but will the pros downgrade him because he missed a year of football?

3. ERASMUS JAMES, DE, Wisconsin Might develop Michael Strahan--like run-stuffing and pass-rushing skills, which every team needs.

4. CADILLAC WILLIAMS, RB, Auburn Speedster edges teammate Ronnie Brown and Cedric Benson of Texas as the top running back.

5. TRAVIS JOHNSON, DT, Florida State

Inconsistent 290-pounder could become an every-down force in the mold of the Vikings' Kevin Williams. -- Peter King

Can you believe what he said about Travis Johnson?? Hilarious!!!

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He did say could and did not say will.

3. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Travis Johnson had lots of people fooled including good ole Charlie Casserley.

4. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

Yes he did say could, but comparing him to a every down force like Kevin Williams is crazy talk!!!

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Sure, it's easy to say all this now, but back then, Johnson was a stud in college. I remember people were pretty high on Travis when we drafted him.

6. jdh008

jdh008 Member

An even worse judgment was his take on Erasmus James. Or maybe Mike Williams.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

ok, then tell me which players projected to go in the 1st round of next year's draft are gonna be busts and are ridiculous to project in the 1st round

he didn't guarantee anything. he called him inconsistent. I'd have more issues with his Mike Williams eval than TJ

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I think every college player had Charlie fooled.

9. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

None of those guys are top 5 worthy picks. It looks like this was probably written some time before the draft anyway, probably before individual workouts and the combine.

10. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Actually his scouting is right as far as I thought. Most people saw him as a force int he middle considering how he played at FSU. I did not think he was top 5 pick worthy though and no one saw him going that high either, but the texans were desperate so they reached. I'm passed it already.

11. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Wait, didn't we trade down in that draft and end up getting Johnson at like 15? I remember we needed some LB help and most people thought that we were going after Derrick Johnson which we passed up and most of the horn fans were whining about that (ala passing on vy).

12. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

DK is a great starting LB for the chiefs