1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pete Carroll and the NFL

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by the futants, Jan 9, 2008.

1. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Why would this guy consider leaving USC for the NFL? To prove something? He's living the dream in California and producing a championship contender every year. Why would he even dream of taking on a team with such a dismal outlook as the Falcons?
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3188045

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Maybe the challenge of it?? He's proven over and over again he can win at the college level. Maybe he feels challenged to do something else.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He can always go back to college, but my guess would be the money...

DD

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Carroll would be better served to go after the Ravens job if they would want him compared to the Falcons. Like someone else said (on one of the many NFL shows on ESPN) the Falcons job is not a very good one now compared to the Ravens job.

5. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

USC coeds.
    even if he's not banging them left and right, he could.
    that possibility would keep my happy ass put.

6. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Who knows? The guy has the best gig in college football. I guess he has to prove something to himself.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I agree. The Ravens are probably the best open job available. The Redskins are a close 2nd. Unless he really likes Atlanta (and why would anyone), why even consider that job over what he's got? It doesn't make sense. Might just be a ploy to get a raise from USC.

8. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I think the Redskins job would be more attractive than the Ravens. Who's going to be the quarterback of the Ravens in the future? Smith? I doubt it.
    I'll go with pushing for another raise from USC.

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

He is a great college coach, but that does not make him a great or even good NFL coach. I guess he just want to prove something. He usually have much better players than the other side in college, but that is not the case in NFL. NFL coaches are so much better with strategies and techniques than college coaches, which make it much harder for him to out coach another team.

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I think you're right. What I quoted earlier about the Ravens job being better than the Falcons job was said before the Redskins job came available. Regardless which one is better, I think everyone would agree that they are both better than the Falcons job.

11. tulexan

tulexan Member

If he goes to any NFL team then I feel bad for those fans. He isn't a very good NFL coach and I see him failing miserably once again in the pros.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't think everybody would see it that way. I can see taking ATL over BAL. ATL is kind of a blank slate, pardon the pun, and they don't even have a GM. BAL has some lingering personalities/etc entrenched from the super bowl year (Newsome on top, Ray Lewis controlling the locker room etc.). WAS has Snyder to deal with who a lot of people don't like.

#12 SamFisher, Jan 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I would definitely choose the Redskins over the others...He can always come back, just maybe not to USC...

THe challenge would do it for me...That's why you get change ladies every few months...:)

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He should stay at USC unless he's bored and just wants to leave. Some people, like Pete Carroll, are great college coaches and don't do well in the NFL. But if he has the urge to move on to another challenge, I can understand that. He'll probably get the same mediocre results in the NFL he got in the past. I would not hire him if I was an NFL team.

15. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

He seems to have the same management style as Spurrier. I think he'd have the same results in the NFL as him too. When you deal w/ grown men, some of whom are possibly higher on the chain then you (superstar players), it just doesn't work the same way.

16. Asian Sensation

As a Ducks fan I thoroughly approve of Carrol jumping ship to the NFL.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

But Carroll is much more of a hard worker than Spurrier ever was/is. I've heard stories about him rarely, if ever, sleeping and/or eating.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Possible NCAA violations

Supposedly the Reggie Bush money incident worse than whats been reported. The Bush thing being investigated could lead to findings of other violations. So he'd BOLT before any of it comes to the forefront.

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

The only type of coach that would excel in Atlanta's situation is someone of Jimmy Johnson/Bill Parcells ilk. Someone who commands respect from the get go, has final say on personnel decisions, exudes a my way or the highway persona.

I don't see any college coach that can be the next Jimmy Johnson. But I only know the big name college coaches though.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Carroll has been "interested" in going to the NFL for a couple years now, before any of the Bush/money allegations came out.

Maybe the guy just wants a challenge and change of scenery. He has proven all you can prove on the college level (Top recruiting classes, multiple BCS Championships, multiple Pac-10 Championships, etc...). Being a NFL Head Coach is the pinnacle of coaching jobs IMO.