1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[PET HELP] My Dog Is Getting Too Skinny

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by roxxfan, May 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

I have a little brown chihuahua. We consider him an inside dog. However, the past year or two, he spends an exceptional amount of time outside. Sometimes 9 or 10 hours a day. Most of the time, he is running around barking, growling, running, sniffing, enjoying his heart out. Yapping, and making noise. He puts alot of pressure on his little leash that I have on him (it's pretty long. He knows how to escape the fence otherwise.) He is two and a half years old. More or less.

The issue is that he continues to get skinnier and skinnier, but he definitely eats. That is not the issue. He eats a lot of food, but I guess his energy outside overpowers it. It's come to the point now where his rib and shoulder bones are obviously visible.

It kind of looks like I don't feed the dog or I am abusing him, but that is definitely not the case. I am concerned that he will continue to get smaller to where it becomes a major health issue. The thing is that when I bring him in, the ****er won't shut up because he constantly is whining, barking, scratching my arms, just making the loudest ruckus in the world so I will take him out again. What should I do to remedy the situation? Thanks in advance. I love my baby..... :(

BTW, I have been suggested to give him wet canned dog food, although I would prefer not to because I have known that to be unhealthy.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Tapeworm or internal parasites?
    Worst case scenario organ failure.
    I mean if he eats and he's getting skinnier that's the first thing I'd imagine.

Don't take chances... take him to a vet.

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Take him to the vet yo. Did you check webMD for dogs?

4. roxxfan

Arhghh...I really need to update his shots and start him on a heart worm regimen as well. Next paycheck or asap I am taking him....He is still as happy as can be so I will take that as a good sign. My brother had a dog that died from parvo so I know it's not worth the risk to ignore it. I'm one of those people that view a pet as a family member. Like a human.

5. roxxfan

Woah. Thanks, man. I didn't even know WebMD had a pet section.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, I think this is the way to go. Parasites can really decrease weight even while the dog seems to feel great.

Good luck to you!

7. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I don't know where you're located, but in the Missouri City area I use the Economy Pet Clinic for office visits, shots, etc. They have a friendly staff and I've never had a problem there with either of my dogs.

http://economypetclinic.com

They're off Murphy (1092) and Lexington in Missouri City, next to Subway.

I think the office visits are only like $10 and the shots are a little cheaper than the other place I used to go (Lake Olympia Animal Hospital). Good luck, keep us updated.

8. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

[​IMG]

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Do you have neighbors? They must hate you. Shut that little damn Taco Bell dog up!!! ;)

10. roxxfan

[​IMG]

Yep. He is! :cool: He is thinner than this at this point. But not by much. It's hard to tell from this angle tho.

11. ashiin

ashiin Member

Take him before your next paycheck bro, don't go when it's too late.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Definitely parasites. Go see the vet.

You also want to feed your dog good quality kibble or make it yourself. Look for kibble that has every low or no corn in it. The less fiber they get= less crap and more real energy.

You should probably get him fixed if you want him to calm down.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Dude, please take him to the vet!!!

This sounds like classical parasites. Your dog is essentially starving if that is the case.

14. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

take to the vet, if they can't find anything, consider a raw meat diet

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

TAKE HIM TO A VET!

Therein lies your problem. You think he's your baby and you're afraid to discipline him.

SNAP at him or bring it to his attention that barking isn't right. OR, let him bark his way out until he's tired that he won't get anything in return for barking and whining.

Stop being a wuss. :p

:confused:

Beethoven? Bach? Vivaldi?

I wonder if they can have CONTEMPORARY parasites... or MODERN parasites... or... some other kind. :p

17. HPD

HPD Member

Da AIDS

18. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I think I've discovered your problem.

That's not a dog.

Take it to the vet anyway.

19. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Get yourself checked out for worms also. The thought of intestinal parasites freak me the hell out.

20. AXG

AXG Member

It sounds like kidney failure. You may have to start him on a canned food diet high in fat. Either way, I would take him to the vet, and I hope it's nothing too serious.