1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Personal Draft Preparations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 27, 2000.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

The NFL Draft takes way too long and don't get me started on the boredom the baseball draft causes.

There is nothing I like more than the NBA Draft. Even as a kid when I used to chart it on paper I loved it.

I love the trade rumors, the suspense when David Stern walks up to the podium (and everything goes silent), the rush when a stunning pick (that impacts the whole draft) is announced -- it's only sweeter when the Rockets have a good pick like they do this season.

I'm getting pizza -- that's a must. Got to spend a few bucks and get some quality stuff too (not the 3 pizzas for 6 bucks CiCi's-type garbage). Setting the entire computer setup in front of the TV, hopping in the chat room and I'm not moving from 6 on in to the wee hours of the morning.

Anyone doing anything special to prepare for the draft?

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

[This message has been edited by Clutch (edited June 27, 2000).]

2. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

I will be coaching my middle three daughters' softball team in a 5:45 game. This is going to sound silly, but I just can't come in in the middle of the draft and start watching. I like the suspense of each pick as well so I will tape it and start watching it around 10:00. The alternative, since the coaches pitch to their own girls, is for me to blaze three strikes by each of my hitters for 5 innings and make the start of the draft. [​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by grummett (edited June 27, 2000).]

3. LHutz

LHutz Member

DUKE got plans, sorry, he cannot HANG OUT with none of you. HERE is what DUKE will do the for the DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT!!

I will call in sick HA HA HA Wensday so I am free to mentally purpare myself all day.

I bought bags of Cheeztoes, Freetoes, Doritas, guacamolee, cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, beets, andchovers, chili, ice cream, and some beans dip. MMMMM DUKE will pork out on Draft Night?!??

I poured like two WHOLE containers of fish food in the fishes tank so they will not BOTHER me during the Draft, that will keep them quiet.

DUKE always watches the DRAFT wearing nothing except for my super favorite ROCKETS SPEEDO unnerwear, it is GOOD luck when DUKE wears this! The only problem is DUKE cannot do it in public, it makes the securaty guards MAD!! Otherwise I would do it at all the games. I have only been wearing it for six days now, that way it will still be clean enough to wear DRAFT NIGHT!!!!

DUKE also will be in the clutch chat for the drat, CLUTCH did not ask me but I KNOW he wantes DUKE's expert expertise because you know why.

Huh?

Right!

MY DRAFT IS FEATURED on the site and YOURS isn't HA HA HA take it and love it, DUKE kicks you ass.

Oh yes, DUKE gonna have SERIOUS DRAFTY FUN Wensday! BYE BYE DUKE LOVES YOU ALL!!!!

------------------
    DUKE WISDOM: if a tree falls in the FOREST and crushes a leprecon is it really dead?

[This message has been edited by LHutz (edited June 27, 2000).]

4. Rocket Guard

Rocket Guard Member

My draft IS featured,guess you have some competition DUKE.

Huh?

Right.
    I'm also an expert

[​IMG]

------------------
    "Dont ever understimate the heart of a champion"

Rudy T,1995

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Well, I will be at Aerial Theatre not only working on the draft for Clutch (slave drvier!) but also working a table for Save Our Rockets and Comets. We'll be signing up volunteers, handing out buttons and generally acting silly.

If anyone is coming out to Aerial, please stop by the table and say hello! If I am not there, I am running around with my tape recorder trying to get quotes and find out what the hell is going on!!!

It sucks that I will miss the chat. I look forward to those things big time. If I had a laptop and a cell phone, you can bet I would have it up and rockin' at Aerial!

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My draft is not featured, but there is some imposter who is pretending to be me who is featured. If he's right, I'll try to steal as much of the glory as possible. If he's wrong, I'll sue him for copyright infringement on Thursday.

------------------
    http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

7. LHutz

LHutz Member

RocketGuard, you donot even go there. DUKE has no rivals, except for ONE.

WILL SALTINE, DUKE WILL VANQUISH YOU!!!

Hey John Valdez you want HELP, DUKE will help you. We will sue sue sue that jerko!

------------------
    DUKE WISDOM: if a tree falls in the FOREST and crushes a leprecon is it really dead?

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

It will start at 8:30 in the morning for me, so that means an early start, not sure about the Pizza and Beer clutch but how bout, Coffee and cake, and fire up clutch city chat and real audio and enjoy the draft.

Smeg from Down Under

------------------
    Mango is the Smeg of Bizarro World

9. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

10. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Hutz, which draft are you looking forward to? The one through your head, or the one through the empty space in your Speedo?

11. Rocket Guard

Rocket Guard Member

Hey Juan Valdez,I'm no impostor,my real name IS Juan sebastian and just because you made that comment I will share no glory and will keep it to my self when I become the next DRAFT GOD.

HA,HA [​IMG]

------------------
    "Dont ever understimate the heart of a champion"

Rudy T,1995

[This message has been edited by Rocket Guard (edited June 27, 2000).]

12. today

today Contributing Member

Why was LHutz's title of "Incoherent Column Writer" removed? I always found it amusing.

------------------
    "You couldn't have stuck a pin up his @#! with a jackhammer. Yeah, I'd say he was pretty tight." -- Barkley on Pheonix Sun Chris Carr(...I think) after he missed a game winning free-throw.

13. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I keep a tv next to my iMac, so I'm also going to be perched at my desk. As for the past 3 season I've worn my lucky jogging shorts on important dates. Along with the shorts I will wear my lucky Rockets hat.

------------------
    I AM SPARTACUS

[This message has been edited by DEANBCURTIS (edited June 27, 2000).]

14. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Originally, I was planning to go to the draft party at Aerial Theater. One of the prizes they are giving away, is a trip to an away game next year, and you stay in the Hotel and Fly with the team. Now, that is cool.......

However, Clutch has got me all excited, and I would rather spend the time, at home in front of the tv (sorry clutch, I think I would rather have a steak and a baked potato, but pizza's cool), and chat with all my fellow Rocket Fans here at Clutch City.

It doesn't matter, I never win anything anyways.......

I will see ya guys Wednesday 5:00pm all the way till Thursday morning....

Man, waiting for the draft, is worse then waiting for Christmas when you were a kid..

Let's get it on.......

------------------
    My name is Rocketball, and I am a CLUTCHCITY-HOLIC!!!!!!!!

15. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

I will be in Houston at a favorite Irish Bar with some friends. Then maybe to the Aeriel Theatre. Best Pint on Draft. Pickin's and pizza.

Is it only 24 hours away?

Did I mention I will have my laptop with me?

------------------

[This message has been edited by oeilpere (edited June 27, 2000).]

16. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

I will be watching the draft in the movie theatre at my office. I have already made preparations to move my laptop as well as a back-up in there for the entire draft. As far as dinner goes, I'm guessing it will be pizza or something else that can be easily delivered.

------------------
    "Stranger things have happened, but none stranger than this" - Commentator after a parachutist landed in the ring of a Holyfield fight

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I gather up info on about 40 players so I have some reading material after the draft on the rockets.

I usually do the pizza thing and follow the draft. This year I am probably going to prep a friend of mine before heading to the aerial show. It would be humiliating if any of the rockets there are traded on draft day.

I usually have to find aditional research on the rockets draft pick since I never have material on them Rhodes, Horry, Riley, Cuttino. The internet has made it easier in recent years.

------------------
    "You've got 6 fouls, use them well" -Derrick Coleman

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Since I'm too cheap to spring for cable, plus I'm in Chicago, I'll be relying on the chat to inform me about what is going on in the draft. This will be the first one I've ever really followed closely. I hope my home computer can handle the chat feature.

------------------
    http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

19. LHutz

LHutz Member

LEAVE DUKE's underear out of it! Will you are mean. I read your last columm, what is with you?!?? DAMNIT SALTINE I want to read politics not science.

VOTE JESSE VENTURNA!!!!!

------------------

20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Im just realllllllyyyyy excited, this pick could determine the Rox fate for the next 10 years. I really think were gonna either take alexander and deal him or trade the pick.

------------------
    Rockets games are like a box of chocolates, you never know whacha your gonna get.