1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Perry Jones = Face of Jordan Hill + Body of Tim Thomas

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

PJ3 is a chimera!

Seriously, though, I read a Milwaukee reporter saying that some scouts told him PJ3 reminds them if Tim Thomas. What do you think of the comparison? Fair?

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]Several NBA scouts have told me Baylor’s Perry Jones reminds them of former Buck forward Tim Thomas, for good and bad.[/rQUOTEr]

I have no idea or thoughts otherwise.

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And the aggressiveness and willingness to bang inside of a chinchilla.

4. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

This is probably the best comparison I've heard for PJIII. I thought of Channing Frye first off, but Tim Thomas is more like it. Heck, maybe even an Eddie Griffin.

All the tools, but charmin soft. You don't want him as a Rocket. Pass.

5. Raven

Raven Member

He's worth the risk. His potential is off the charts, and the last thing we need is another NBA Ready player.

6. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I don't know, I'm not that familiar with Thomas...

Does Thomas have a 38.5 max vertical? What about 12'2 max vert reach? Does he have a legit 6'11 frame with a 7'2 wingspan? Does he have the lateral quickness of a guard and guard like handles incorporated into his game?

cause if so... then they're identical twins... :p

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

They do not have combine stats from that far back, but Tim Thomas was big, athletic and skilled enough to be drafted 7th overall.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think you severely exaggerate what he can become. His athleticism is undeniable but his skills aren't that great. We'll get a chance to see. Want to watch him in Vegas this summer where it will be a LOT more physical than college. Since the games don't count, maybe he will play with a little more intensity and abandon.

9. Crank

Crank Member

I dont know who the naysayers are talking about? PJ3 has as much potential and natural athleticism to become KG. The jumpshot,post moves will come with time. That kind of athleticism for his size is very rare. He can play both 3-4 spots. If he bulks up can play center in a small ball lineup.
    He is worth the risk. You take risks going for superstars. But no risk leaves you with safe mediocre players.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Tim Thomas was Lebron before Lebron: basically the bulk of a pf with the skills of a guard. Too bad his play was like Rudy Gay, way too soft. Even funnier, he was always known for beasting in his contract years, making mad money, and then chilling again until his next contract year.

As for Perry Jones I think a lot of posters here always ham it up and ask for RISK, RISK, RISK!!! But then a couple of years down the road when their player turns out to be dog droppings then they'll either pretend they never picked the player or fall into the patented DD "I'm not paid to do this **** I don't know anything" defense.

Perry Jones is an amazing athlete, but its not like he'd been LBJ-ing it up in college, he wasn't dominating the best of the best like guys like true high-reward prospects like Cousins or Beasley. Comparing him to future HOF guys like KG or whoever just based on several flashes of greatness is stupid, because guys like KG were given both talent AND had the work ethic/mental capacity to expand on their game. The NBA isn't an athletic exhibition, you need actual skills to be effective and that's something these combines don't show.

I look at him and his biggest weaknesses are his motor, his bball IQ, his lack of jumpshot AND his amazingly soft play. Last year was his biggest year and he played with all the intensity of a wet rag, does anyone think he's gonna magically turn it around and become workout king when he starts getting guaranteed millions? LOL GS has a freaking stock of PJ III clones the past couple of years (Ekpe Udoh, Brendan Wright, Anthony Randolph), ask them how their "we found another KG except this dude's kinda lazy and dumb" experiments worked out.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Great analysis! Athleticism + low intensity + softness + poor jumpshot doesn't bode well for success at the next level.

IMO, PJII had ONE flash of greatness last season (against K-State) not several.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Heck Plumlee has better size and athleticism that Jones. Why aren't you pushing him?

A lot of players have great size and athleticism. What they don't have is the tenacity, drive, nastiness and competitive spirit of KD. And if they don't have it by now they are never ever going to get it. So Jones will never live up to KD's jock strap.

13. delishman

delishman Member

Tim Thomas was a very talented player. Tons of Unlimited Potential. (TUP)

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

With all due respect, you lost me right here. In Tim Thomas's WILDEST WET DREAM he was never on the same planet as Lebron.

15. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

I Google Earthed it. You're wrong.

16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

LOL. Touche!

17. Nook

Nook Member

Where did the myth that he is the worlds greatest athlete come from? He is a very good athlete, but not even in the top 3 in this draft. He lacks the dexterity and foot speed to play the 3, and lacks the motor, feel, basketball iq or skill set to play the 4. If Morey wants to gamble on the 5% chance he magically clicks, fine... But people comparing him to KG are ignorant.

1 person likes this.
  18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Tim Thomas had a bigger build,and had better handles. He didn't live up to his potentail.
    Nook is the right on the money about PJ3.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

I was talking about in terms of build and skillset, he had a good frame that can actually make him a PF but he had a sweet stroke, decent BBALL IQ and really advanced guard skills.

He was a guy who never worked on his game at all, but he always produced at a level during his contract years that was high enough to earn a lot of guaranteed $$$, and he kept burning teams until he was old enough to retire. Of course he'll never be in LBJ's stratosphere, LBJ has both talent and work ethic while this dude wasted his potential. But if you look at the gifts God had bestowed on him and Tim Thomas IMHO it was pretty close.

20. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

What's most people's thought on where Jones III will actually play in the NBA? I think he's strictly a 4 that's got to beef up a bit and get more intense.

He WANTS to play the 3, but I just don't see it. He's not got good enough ball skills. And no killer instinct! He settled for too many fadeaways this past season...and when he's got his back to the basket against smaller defenders, he doesn't use his size advantage to bury them like he should.

I've got to pass on PJIII. Too many ????