1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Per usual, Alexander is upbeat about Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by doublehh03, Oct 1, 2007.

1. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5177051.html

Per usual, Alexander is upbeat about Rockets
    As camp opens, owner says team has talent to thrive

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Leslie Alexander's familiar, optimistic outlook seemed tempered at first. Perhaps all those first-round playoff losses might tend to moderate the proclamations with which the Rockets owner has so often heralded the start of another training camp.

But as he spoke, he slipped in an opinion that this is the most talented Rockets team since 1995, the second of two consecutive NBA titles for the franchise.

Alexander said he was certain Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming can be the stars of a championship-caliber team. When asked about the criticism of his unconventional choice of Daryl Morey as general manager and Morey's first offseason, Alexander said: "I was right, and everyone else that questioned it was wrong."

As he spoke, Alexander's confidence did not seem shaken by the latest early dismissal from the postseason, a first-round loss to the Utah Jazz he would only call "disappointing." But this time, his optimism was evident long before the usual hopeful comments at the start of another preseason.

Alexander authorized Morey to allow the Rockets' payroll to shoot past the $67.865 million figure that would trigger the luxury tax, a line Alexander has long refused to cross.

Since the latest first-round loss, Alexander has spent $1 million to get a second-round pick (for the second consecutive season), accepted the contracts of Jackie Butler and Justin Reed to get Luis Scola and Mike James, and signed Steve Francis as an unexpected free-agent addition. But he insisted nothing has changed.

A championship chance
    "It's just that I think these changes give us a real chance to win a championship," Alexander said. "Therefore, I couldn't refuse."

He said he would have made similar moves in the past had there been the same opportunities. But the Rockets have often juggled the roster to stay under the luxury tax threshold while making acquisitions.

"I always considered (the luxury tax threshold) a real stopping point," Alexander said. "When you can acquire guys like Scola and (Dikembe) Mutombo, they are really amazing pieces to the puzzle. I wanted to do it because I thought it would give us a much better chance to win.

"I always thought it was good basketball sense to buy second-round picks. I thought that was the smart thing to do. But in the past we haven't been as aggressive as we are now. We tried to get first-round picks for a long time but haven't been as successful.

"I try to go for it every year. I would have spent this money in the past, too. Things didn't present themselves as they did this year."

With Mutombo and rookie Carl Landry scheduled to sign today, the Rockets will have 20 players under contract (including Bob Sura, who is not expected to play again). Of those, 17 contracts are fully guaranteed, two more than the regular-season roster limit.

"Without the investments from Leslie, the Scola deal has no chance," Morey said. "That was a major investment. Carl Landry, that was also a significant investment. Obviously, Steve Francis wouldn't have happened. We always thought we would get Dikembe back, but we considered Steve the piece putting us over (the luxury tax.)"

Morey could not say whether any of that represents a change over the years in Alexander's position. But as the Rockets head to camp today, Morey described a sense of urgency to build a team to contend as its recent predecessors have not.

"There is a general feeling with two great players like Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, while they are younger, you never want to take this window for granted," Morey said. "I do not feel it's a one-year situation. We'd all be disappointed if we're not making significant noise in the playoffs.

Hungry for victory
    "I think there has been a long period since the franchise has gotten to the top. I can sense a significant hunger by him to win. If it's more, I don't know. Carroll (Dawson, Morey's predecessor) would say Leslie is 100 percent focused to win every year."

Alexander is also not without opinions.

• On whether McGrady and Yao can be the top players of a championship team: "No question. I think they are both great players. There hasn't been a player I've seen in 10 years in the playoffs better than Tracy was against Dallas. And Yao gets better every year and with the added coaching of Carroll Dawson, is going to be a much better player."

• Of signing Mutombo for one more season: "There is no more competitive player in the NBA, a tremendous will to win. He was invaluable when Yao was out."

• On Vassilis Spanoulis' refusal to return to the United States from Greece for a second NBA season: "Unfortunately, it was a setback for the Rockets. We thought we were developing a very good player. It didn't work out."

• On Rafer Alston's two offseason arrests: "Everybody is innocent until proven guilty. That's the way it's supposed to work. I hope he wasn't involved in these situations."

• On Jeff Van Gundy's dismissal: "That wasn't fun either. That's all I'm going to say about that.

"There were certain criteria that would have had to happen. Had those criteria (that he would not describe) been met, it would have been OK for him to come back."

• On his optimism: "When you get a good, new coach (Rick Adelman), you're always optimistic because you spend so much time thinking about it, you're focused on the future, rather than the past. The new coach always makes you more optimistic. That's just the way people are."

But to Alexander, this is the season to expect more. With a new coach, a new general manager and an influx of new players to the rotation, he said he can expect a return on his investment.

His definition of success

"In my own mind, we have a terrific team, a lot of talent, a proven coach who has a .610 winning percentage," Alexander said. "The question is how good a season we're going to have. A good season is (advancing) very deep in the playoffs.

"I'm very excited. I think this is the most talent we've had since the championship teams, maybe more talent except we didn't have (Hakeem Olajuwon), who was the ultimate talent. I think the team, while still winning, will be more fun to watch, more enjoyable for people. That includes the owner."

<hr>

i'm EXCITED. i truly am. one more month till the first game :D

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

:eek: Awesome.

3. cskerlecz

cskerlecz Member

It's TIME.... for Les to get the bird off his shoulder, the one that has been going "cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap" for so many years. I do agree with him though that this is the deepest Rockets roster since the championship years. And FYI, It is 1 more month till the 2nd regular season game (@ UTAH). The first game for the Rockets is @ LA Lakers October 30th.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

I don't think any of the NBA Champions in the last 5 years have been over the LT. While their opponents in the final mostly were.

5. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Gotta give it up to Les for going over the luxury tax. The guy's ready to win some games.

6. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

going over the luxury tax does not equal success. i mean, look at the knicks and blazers the last few yrs.

what les said is true though. he doesn't mind spending, but he has to be assured that what he invests in has to generate results.

scola is a high-reward investment b/c he is no doubt ready to contribute.
    francis/james are also high-reward investment b/c how lower can u go when u had rafer alston start every game playing big minutes.

i doubt he would have spend if the only players out there are average players.

we signed good players, players that will contribute and contribute on a contender.

7. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Finally he goes over. He's a smart man though, if he is willing to go over then you KNOW this is gonna be a good team. I'm glad we have a smart owner unlike the Knicks' and Cuban. Seriously, $9,628,000 just for 2007 for Dampier?

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm curious about his statement regarding buy picks. Especially since teams are seemingly more willing to sell them rather than buy them.

9. Pringles

Pringles Member

perfect year to go over the luxary tax imo. we always signed high-risk player, from stromile, anderson, old players (injuires are high-risk). then we started going wit low risk like battier. (only good move from last year), then we continued on, with scola, james. even though francis and bonzi, might be considered high-risk, there is no doubt their better then the players previously here.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How could you look at the changes on this year's team and NOT be optimistic.

Last year, I felt there was a talent gap and it is why I wanted younger players like V-Span to get some run, to find out if they could help when the talent was upgraded.

This year though, WOAH BABY !!!! I think the team is talented enough to compete RIGHT NOW !!

IT'S TIME !!!

DD

11. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

That is hilarious! Les ain't going to pay no luxury tax. The Rockets are over the limit right now, but don't have to pay a tax until after the season. I guarantee you that Les will make sure Daryl Morey dumps some players to other teams to get under the tax limit.

12. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

JVG hates rookies! :D :p

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Does everybody get it now?

They did not want Van Gundy back as is. The only way they wanted Van Gundy back was if he made certain changes, which he was unwilling to make.

And they had high hopes for VSpan.

Translation: They were very disappointed in the way Van Gundy handled the team last year and the fact that he did not develop VSpan and kept running Rafer out there every night.

14. Pringles

Pringles Member

we're only over by a little bit. we're not in luxary tax like dallas or new york. i'm sure we can get rid of alson, reed, butler, and other small contract players for a trade exception or draft picks and cash considerations. (lucas, novak) Even if he does force morey to trade players, i'm sure it won't affect our main rotation. i don't care if we dump reed, rafer, lucas, novak, harris, as long as it isn't someone that has a impact in our season, or is one of our future projects. (brooks)

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

interesting . . .

Rocket River

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Exactly! Screw JVG's boring style. If we are going to lose in the playoffs, at least give me the thrills the Warriors gave their fans.

17. zong

zong Member

"On whether McGrady and Yao can be the top players of a championship team: "No question. I think they are both great players. There hasn't been a player I've seen in 10 years in the playoffs better than Tracy was against Dallas. And Yao gets better every year and with the added coaching of Carroll Dawson, is going to be a much better player."

That implys that CD should coach Yao eariler? Lots of materials in this aricle,
    but one thing is right, everyone thinks this team has a chance to go to all the way.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There is a lot of hidden innuendo in that article and in the quotes from Les.

DD

19. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Yes, the quote were Les said JVG could have been back under certain conditions I bet one those conditions was allow CD to coach Yao and another good guess would be develop and play V-span. I really can't understand how Jeff thought CD coaching Yao was a bad thing. Did he not know how much he helped Dream become a great player? Les wanted JVG to surrender some of the control he had over the team and Jeff stood by his guns and that's why he's no longer coaching the Rockets!

Les really let his feeling show through during that interview.

20. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

Absolutely. Once they trade or cut the 5 players who don't make the team, they will be under the tax limit. Rafer, JL3 & Reed (traded), Sura's contract bought out, and Harris (cut) should get the job done.