1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pending trade for Bobcats with Warrior and Suns

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mordo, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

I didn't see this posted, please lock if I missed it.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/15657743.htm

Ely's status tops team's questions

Staff writer Rick Bonnell ponders 10 questions as the Charlotte Bobcats open training camp:

Q. What's new with Melvin Ely? Bobcats coach-general manager Bernie Bickerstaff told the Observer on Sunday he has tentative deals with the Golden State Warriors and the Phoenix Suns on a sign-and-trade.

The issue became whether Ely's agent, Dan Fegan, could negotiate an acceptable contract with either team.

Starting today, the Bobcats can pull their qualifying offer -- worth about $3 million this season -- for the restricted free agent. That would release the team's hold on Ely, but it would also give the Bobcats financial flexibility.

If I were Ely, I'd take the sure thing by signing the qualifying offer. Circumstances aren't ideal for him here -- there's a crowd at power forward -- but knowing you have a $3 million gig and becoming an unrestricted free agent in July isn't a bad thing.

2. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

Ely signs qualifying offer with Bobcats

By MIKE CRANSTON, AP Sports Writer
    October 2, 2006

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Melvin Ely signed a one-year, $3 million qualifying offer with the Charlotte Bobcats on Monday after turning down offers from Golden State and Phoenix.

Ely, a 6-foot-10 power forward, had until Sunday to accept the Bobcats' offer or work out a sign-and-trade deal with another team. Ely said the Suns were prepared to give him a multiyear deal while the Warriors were offering a one-year contract.

ADVERTISEMENT

"They both had interest in me. It was a good thing," Ely said "It's happy to be loved, but I didn't feel comfortable making a move. I know Charlotte is home to me, so I came back."

But Ely, who averaged a career-best 9.8 points and 4.9 rebounds last season, will face stiff competition for playing time with the Bobcats, who welcome back Emeka Okafor and Sean May from season-ending injuries. The Bobcats also signed Walter Herrmann of Argentina last month, who is expected to play both forward positions.

"Melvin's here. He'll compete and it just makes camp more competitive, which is what we wanted anyway," Bobcats coach and general manager Bernie Bickerstaff said. "No promises have been made to Melvin about minutes or any of those things."

Ely, acquired by Charlotte in a trade with the Los Angeles Clippers in 2004, ended up starting 22 games last season when the Bobcats were hit with numerous injuries on the front line.

"It was a crowd last year and I ended up with time, so God willing I'll come into camp and earn it," Ely said. "I know what I need to do here to get time on the floor."

The move means the Bobcats have 16 players with guaranteed contracts and 15 roster spots available once the regular season begins.

Ely acknowledged he turned down the security of a multiyear contract for the comforts of playing with the Bobcats.

"Hopefully I can play well this year and make Charlotte my permanent home," Ely said.

3. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

According to rumors, the Nugs were involved in the Charlotte-Phoenix trade. We would have been getting Jerome James back and sending one of our PF's (I can't remember if it was Najera or Evans) out.

4. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

Oh well, it fell apart like many deals do.

5. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

The team that ends up with Ely on their roster will definitely become the world champion team.

6. Genuine

Genuine Member

:eek: :D