1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pending divorce between Deron Williams and Nets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SHOKI3, May 16, 2014.

1. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Hello, no. A trade for DW at this point would be a huge mistake, my opinion was largely right on the trade speculations. I do not think Morey will do this trade too, he clearly has a better option from other trades to improve the team.

2. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Even if we could do it within the trade rules I wouldn't trade Lin on his own (and contract) for Deron Williams and his contract.

He isn't even much better than Lin and he may have the worst contract in the NBA.

I sure as hell wouldn't trade Asik and Lin for him. If we can't clear them both to get a star this summer, just stay as is, roll the dice for 2014-15 and see what can happen next summer when we clear their salaries.

3. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Williams appears to be a shadow on himself. Couple that with an albatross of a contract, and there is no sane way Morey does this deal....right? Knowing Morey, you guys better expect the unexpected. Williams is coming to Houston. There will be a sweetner to us, perhaps their promising young PF/C.

4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Worst contract in the league no thank you. Only way Morey does this is if the Nets tossed in unprotected first rounders for the next ten years.

5. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

With DWill you're gonna get Lin but for a worse bargain. The one thing DWill has over Lin is vision. Dude can see the court. But is it really worth it to absorb that contract?

6. s3ts

s3ts Member

i get it, DWill was a great PG.

but given the situation, how would trading Asik+Lin for DWill help us win? Lin for DWill? maybe??? but not when we're losing Asik, a prime big-man who is top-10 C in the league.

if we're talking about Rondo for Asik/Lin, maybe both sides can throw some more players in and make it worthwhile. but downgrading the trade from Rondo to DWill.. that's a huge mistake. if the Rockets do this, i will say that is a big failure from the leadership camp.

7. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Deron Williams has had one down year (statistics wise) under a first year coach on a team with a bunch of old, washed-up stars.

Call it a hunch, but I get the feeling that if the Rockets traded for him, he'd be back to his 18 points, 8 assists per game self.

Unfortunately, $60 million over the next three years is a hell of a lot of money to put down on that theory. This is one of those situations where I would like it if the Rockets did it, but would completely understand why, if they didn't.

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The more I think about this the dumber it seems. I really believe Boston or the Sixers or someone will jump on Asik and Lin for nothing. With all that cap space you could easily outbid anyone for Lowry or make very competitive offers for Melo, Dirk, and Bosh. Why in the hell would you cap crucify yourself for an injury prone has been?! Lowry>>>>>Dwill I think we can all agree. I'd rather give 18 million a year to Kyle than the same amount to Deron!

Makes no damn sense

1 person likes this.
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's a tough one. It'd be nice if there was some correlation to... well, anything in his stats. Like played better later in the season. Or on 2 or more days of rest. But looking at the splits, I can't really see anything statistically significant. I mean he was not good in November, that's for sure. I think he was coming off the bench, or partially injured or something... can't remember.

And then of course there's the playoffs. He wasn't horrible, but he didn't get better. He was basically average. But average... on average. Very volatile. really good or really bad.

I think it's probably a pass, but not sure I can watch another PBev/Lin season.

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Cyberx, any input on this situation?

It really does seem as if the Rockets will walk away this summer with a new player. I have little doubt of that. The question becomes who do we get?

My pipe dream is Kyle Lowry+ Paul Millsap followed by Kevin Love.

The options are plentiful. Trades for Rondo, DWill seem possible. Clearing cap room to sign Anthony also seems obtainable. I'm to the point where I would be surprised to see this offseason come and go and we not get at least one of these players.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

didn't the rockets pass on him at the deadline? bad ankles, getting worse... plus that contract... not worth it.

lowry is cheaper and better.

12. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

IIRC, Morey was the one who inquired and BKN turned him down. But yeah, I'd take Lowry over DW all day, every day.

13. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

I would do Lin and Asik for DWill... If Teletovic and Plumlee came with. Move Mirza to backup Parsons and insert Plumlee in the starting five!!! Plumlee is big enough to guard Love, Aldridge, and Dirk.. Mirza would be perfect off the bench for us..

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No way. DWill is a cancer and he's just not that good any more plus... that contract is a franchise killer.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

We already have Deron Williams on this team. His name is James Harden.

16. yunac010

yunac010 Member

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

I thought we were trying to get rid of our overpaid point guard? Why do we want another one who is even more overpaid? Not to mention DWill's attitude and work ethic leaves a lot to be desired. At least Lin has a good head on his shoulders.

17. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

There's no way Nets will do Lin + Asik for Dwill. As much as I think that would be a good trade for the Rockets.

Even with his contract you can ship him back to Utah or someplace where he can be the star of the team. A place like the Bucks or even Toronto if they lose Lowry.

18. mario_v

mario_v Member

Dwill is a system player. He should thank jerry Sloan for that max contract. Plus, he's fat and out of shape, that's why he's had so many ankle injuries. His ankles cannot support the weight of his fatness.

19. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Williams doesn't have ankles anymore and isn't worth the 20m contract.

do
    not
    want

20. Classic

Classic Member

Yeah, I was kind of 50/50 earlier on this but dumping Jeremy to add 2 more years of that contract with what I saw in the playoffs === no thanks

Lin 2.0 + 2 years

F* that

He will likely go down as the worst contact in the league next year