1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pence out 4-6 weeks with injured wrist

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DOMINATOR, Jul 23, 2007.

1. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

looks like i won't be watching the astros for 4-6 weeks.

2. ak47

ak47 Member

darn it, there goes his Rookie of the Year. Ryan Braun of the Brewers is tearin it up.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

The Jason Lane era has begun.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Well, the season's lost. Don't rush it back.

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

And my XBOX 360 NCAA 2008 gaming just got a jump start.

Just...sick.

6. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I have now officially crossed you of my list of secretly being Tim Purpura on this board. :D

It's a marathon, not a race. Our team has just under performed to this point and we can still win the division. It's just all Phil Garner's fault. We don't need Petitte and Clemens, we have Woody and Jennings. :)

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Why AAAA player Lane? Why not give Josh Anderson a shot to play some CF? Or Mike Rodriguez?

8. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

If you arent gonna watch the astros for 4-6 weeks just cuz one player is out, you were never an astros fan in the first place.

9. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

you could say that but it sure is boring watching a bunch of has-beens, never-was' and no heart players. i will watch Oswalt when he returns though... since he is my favorite player.

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

that's cute.

11. coogz

coogz Member

Let's hope that Purpura tries to at least salvage his job by bringing up some young talent when the rosters expand.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he has the 'I just don't think we're going to be able to contend' conversation with Drayton in a few weeks - let's face it, they haven't had it yet. Would you want to tell him???

12. sm0d

sm0d Contributing Member

we place lane on waivers and no other team in the majors wants him. then we call him back up instead of giving another player a chance. gotta love timmy.

13. biggz

biggz Member

SI curse strikes again.

14. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

Let me get this straight......they called up Jason freakin Lane! What does Lane have on Purpura? I need to know.

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

There really wasn't a much better option than Lane. The farm system is that thin. And, he has been playing very well.

That said, as I wrote in the recap (see official site), this is Burke's chance. He was already the road starter at 2B... it's a safe assumption he'll get a lot of home starts at CF as well. While he'll have to play multiple positions, he's likely to be a close to everyday player, which is what he's asked for and what the organization needs to evaluate him. These final two months-plus will determine his future in Houston.

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

hope chris burke does something.

17. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

I haven't been following any of our players aside from the AAA club. Aside from that, do we really not have anyone in AA or below Cat?

18. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Well, there are some potential bats, but none that can reasonably be expected to play in the majors this year. When I said it's that thin, I meant in terms of near ML talent.

http://www.roundrockexpress.com/asp/statistics.asp?stats=t_iba

I know Lane has worn out his welcome, but the only other options are Mike Rodriguez (.714 OPS) and Josh Anderson (.652 OPS). Clearly, those wouldn't work out well. Lane has outperformed both by a mile, so it's hard to get too worked up about this.

19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

[​IMG]

20. kevwun

kevwun Member

There are some nice hitting prospects in AA and below. JR Towles is a good looking catching prospect in Corpus. He's probably going to be the one that gets here first.