1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pence and Patton for Santana??

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by FLAGRANT1, Nov 1, 2007.

1. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

All of the Astros deficiancies cannot be allieved in one offseason however they are buyers for the first time in some time. Would you be willing to give up a potential for a true top of the rotation guy like Johan Santana? A Big lefty at the front of the rotation along with Oswalt would go a long way from dropping the 'rebuilding' tag to actually positioning us as division favorites. Of course he would be seeking around 6 yrs/ 120mil--that six straight years of contention. Add Torrey Hunter (prob 5/60mil) to bat in the 2 hole and sign our draft picks we are a much more interesting team to follow.

Would you do it if you were the Gm?

2. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

In a heatbeat (and i love those two players)

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm not expecting Hunter here really, I understand that we aren't at the top of his list. Be nice though, him or Rowand.

Pence + Patton for Santana? Absolutely. Pence is a real gem, but a Roy O/Johan combo puts us in the hunt.

Evan

4. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I'd do it too. Pitching is the most important thing in winning baseball. And i'm happy with an outfield of Lee, Torri Hunter, and Scott.

5. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I'd do it only if we could snag Hunter or Rowand. But none of this is realistically possible since pitching's always at a premium. Still if the club manages to get one of those guys, you might as well test the waters.

I do like the fact that Wade as called these guys and shown interest (Rowan, Hunter, Schilling) whether or not that interest is mutual.

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

in a heartbeat.

get it done Wade!

7. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Only if we get a CF like hunter without overpaying big time...or we get Willy Taveras ;)

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

pence is going to be a perennial all-star but you'd have to do this trade if and only if santana signed an extension beforehand. i doubt the astros want to pick up a monster santana contract plus a pretty big rowand deal.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No thanks.

10. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

So basically the salaries if we get Santana and Rowand or Hunter plus the salaries of Oswalt/Berkman/Lee will approach if not equal our current payroll by a year or so. Ouch.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If we are going to end up paying 6 years 120 million just wait until he's a free agent and keep all three.

12. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

BINGO!!!!!

I am not opposed to getting Santana, but IMO trading the guys mentioned would create one hole to fill another. You don't want to turn an area of relative strength into an area of weakness.

13. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

and sign torii hunter

or trade sign and trade jennings for wily t

i'm going to have to say keep pence, we'll have to wait for next year for a free agent pitching

14. Akhorahil

Akhorahil Member

Trade our 2 best, and only mind you, top prospects for 1 year worth of Johan Santana.... HMMmmmmmmm

No.

Why rent when you can buy next season?

15. Mysteryhunt

Mysteryhunt Member

if we could trade and sign him long term i would go for that. all any team needs is pitching to get to the postseason in baseball. i would not want to trade top talent for a pitcher who would be a one year rental-i.e jennings