1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pelinka: Lakers obsessed with chasing the Warriors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jul 13, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Lulz, Magic. We didn't have multiple playmakers....and our two that we have can stretch the floor without the ball, because they can shoot! But you're right, Morey would like another playmaker, better than Gordon.

As for the Lakers following suit,,,lulz,,,just Magic and Pelinka spinning their pickups...McGee and Lance don't really fit all that much, and Rondo/Ball can't stretch the floor, like our playmakers. Not only is there absolutely no proof that Lebron can win without floor spacing, there is absolutely no proof that anyone can beat GSW without the ability to unclog their premier defense and get it out of the lane. You can't let GSW send help, or they will, and their Hampton 5 is very good at it, it plays right into their small-ball offense, to cheat off shooters if they can, and help on mismatches.

#61 heypartner, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    RyanB likes this.
  2. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

LMAO..... lebron and what army?

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That was my point. Just that the Rockets have to evolve slightly. Harden+CP+Gordon as players that can create their own shot are key. But even more is needed. And that's one of the reasons I think Morey wants to add Carmelo. And be on the look out for other playmakers or shot creators.

As for the Lakers, no question they are spinning with their roster additions. BUT, the "reasons" they state are accurate as it relates to the Warriors.....even if the actual players don't add up.

heypartner likes this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, I have no problem with stating the Morey formula, but lulz at the media saying they are executing it, much less saying better than the Rockets are executing it.

This Lakers team looks like it might be the worst floor-spacing team Lebron has ever played on since his 1st stint in Cle. And as for switching defense to match the Rockets, that's theoretical. I'll wait to see if they coaches can teach it, and whether these young kids can execute it,,,because it requires a high-level of cerebral knowledge of the game and elite levels of communication vs any other defense ever invented in the game..

It's like some team saying, "Oh, we're going to run GSW offense this year."

5. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Lakers will have to compensate for their lack of shooting by being an Elite defensive team.

Don't see it yet but LeBron and Rondo are two great creators so offensively they might have something.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Boston's E.C. run had absolutely nothing to do with Golden State. We have no idea how they would've fared. Houston was the only team that took Golden State to the very brink (and should've won). It annoys me that people lump Boston in there.

7. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

They should be a pretty good defensive team next year, Ball and Ingram are both positives on that end, LeBron and Rondo are pretty good when they try, Hart and Stephenson are serviceable, the only problem with them on that end is at Center, Java and Zubac are liabilities on switches and Kuzma isn't stopping anyone either. This would be a great defensive team if it weren't for lacking options at the most important defensive role in the league, a shortage they could have prevented if they just paid Randle 9 mil per.

The spacing tho, OOF. I count three reliable three point shooters on the roster, LeBron, Kuzma, and Hart. Two of those are poor defenders which negates the talent advantage you have on that end. Its time for Ingram to rise up and start knocking down shots if he doesn't to be trade bait and if the Lakers want to get past the second (or first) round. Say what you want about how "GSW neutralized Capela", but that was only possible because Green was superglued to the Swiss Roll at all times, allowing CP and James to finish with impunity around the rim. GSW's defensive prowess is really shown when they play a roster filled with non shooters, Stephen Curry is a liability at on ball defense, he is ELITE at playing the passing lanes, the same applies to Thompson, and while Green is good on ball, he eats souls when teams try to run a pass-heavy motion offense. Playing off ball sounds great until Draymond is turned into a Quadruple Double threat.

The only way these Lakers beat the warriors, or even have a chance against them, is if Silver orders it and LeBron goes to the free throw line 30 times a game, which I wouldn't put past him, evidenced by my sig.