1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pekingese - maybe, maybe no

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by swilkins, Jun 5, 2007.

1. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

OK...

I have never owned a dog in the 22 years I have lived on my own. I have had a handful of cats. This is mostly due to growing up around dogs and having to clean after them. That's neither here nor there at this point in life.

I just found out that a breeder of pekingese dogs passed away and there are supposedly a very large count of these dogs that might be put down, if they do not find a home. Supposedly, they have had their shots and have AKC papers. I will confirm this very soon and update.

I'm seriously considering getting one. I have no small children. It's just me and my 8 month-old cat. I thought it would be cool to have a play partners.

Does anyone here have experience with this breed?

Here are a few pics I found
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

I've Never really liked "small dogs" until...I was running into a Pet store to pick up a bag of dog food about 8 years ago and there we're a couple of small Pomeranians in the window (my wife was sitting in the car waiting for me) and she could see me inside the store - so I pointed to a small Pomeranian (a much smaller version of my Chow/Spitz mix - that looks like a real wolf). She's never been a "dog lover" - I don't like cats - I'm alergic to them. I really didn't expect a response, but as I pointed to the dog she nodded her head 'yes'. I was shocked! I knew we needed another dog because it's not fair to the dog to just have one, but I really didn't think she wanted one. Nevertheless, we ended up buying "Foxy" on the spot. :)

One less tail (*thanks to the kids) and 8 years later, she's an awesome dog. Great with the kids and very personable.. I never thought I would ever like a small dog, but Foxy is a wonderful dog. I think you'll love a Pekingese.

* don't let your kids play with rubber bands around the dogs! :mad:

3. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Please let me know if there are others that are not adopted that may be put down. :(

We're not in the market for another dog, but I would hate to see one of these put down. Please contact me through the board.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

My wife an I had a purebred Peke. They are really prone to congenital defects. Their eyes bug out naturally and have been known to pop out. My dog's eye actually popped out twice. Their small legs also have a hard time supporting their body weight, leaving them susceptible to degenerative back problems.