1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul Silas out as Bobcats coach

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Apr 30, 2012.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_the_nba/2012/04/paul-silas-out-as-charlotte-bobcats-coach.html

2. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

I never understand these coaching changes for a tanking team. The fans know you are tanking and its a top down directive from the GM & owner, so how is it the coach's fault the team sucks if it was mandated & a result from personnel depletion??

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

5 coaches in less than 8 years. Damn.

I know they had a bad season, but they also had a terrible team. Got to give the guy more then one year with Corey Magette as your best player.

4. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

If they win the lottery, maybe Nate McMillan will step in..

5. Mashing

Mashing Member

What's the point of firing the coach if the talent sucks? Phil Jackson or Pat Riley couldn't do anything with that bunch. He may suck, but I'd at least give him one season after they get if/when Davis in the lottery. If at the half way point of next season they are still in line for a <20 win season then you fire him.

With that said, can't go wrong with McMillan. I actually want to the Rockets to hire him.

6. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Press conference on NBA TV.

7. TheresTheDagger

Wait....

They successfully tanked the season...gave them the most lottery balls.....

AND NOW THEY FIRED HIM?

And people talk about how the ROCKETS said bad messages to players/coaches.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

He didn't do a good enough job tanking. They won 7 games...7 games too many ;) :p

9. MONON

MONON Member

What do you expect with MJ calling the shots?

10. Major

Major Member

They could have won 13 more games and still gotten the same number of lottery balls. They locked up the worst record in the league a long time ago and still lost out the rest of the season - that's not tanking, it's just sucking. They were simply awful and the coach brought nothing to the table, so why retain him?

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

Wouldn't surprise me if they decide to bring in McMillian (Cho worked for the Blazers) or Jordan decides to bring D'Antoni.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Man what an exciting organization! Wish the Rockets could learn something from them. After drafting Anthony Davis this year they might actually win more than 10 games in a few years!

13. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

i'd be surprised if the hire d'Antoni .. they r supposed to draft Davis, they have biyombo, i see'em hiring a more defensive minded coach

14. ashiin

ashiin Member

They should move out of Charlotte

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yep. McMillan.

Firing Silas certainly doesn't disguise WHO actually is responsible for losing so much, although MJ might have the ego to believe it.

Silas did as he was supposed to. Showed up. MJ provided the bad team. Now he'll get the high lottery pick and will look to move in a winning direction (he thinks) with a new coach.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know why people want to think firing Silas means they want to blame him for their sorry season. When he got the interim coaching job 1.5 years ago, they'd decided to blow the thing up. They needed a caretaker coach. Maybe Silas wasn't their dream coach, but was adequate to the job and was already on the payroll. Now that the tank job is over, they're hoping to get a good guy in the draft and get some free agents to start building the team in the way Cho sees fit, with a coach that Cho can work well with and so on.

In light of all that, I think the fact that the Bobcats hired him (to oversee the tankage) says more about his worth than the fact that they fired him.

17. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

They did Silas a favor.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

All I can say is I hope they lose out on Davis and wind up drafting a bust.

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

I'd like to see Biyombo and Davis pair up.

I really don't want to see Davis in the West, especially on the Hornets, but I ultimately think they or Brooklyn will get him.

20. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

this is why mj is a joke as an owner lmao