1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul, Rivers, Green, Clark, Nene...We found something?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PWR, Mar 5, 2019.

1. PWR

PWR Member

Against the Raptors, It was very noticeable that when our 2nd unit of Paul, Rivers, Green, Clark, and Nene came in, the Rockets KILLED the Raptors. That unit was the big difference. It was the first time in a long time that I have seen our bench look like that.

For +/-....
    Paul finished with a +13
    Green +23
    Rivers +17
    Clark +17
    Nene +16

So, since this lineup really seemed to work well, I decided to see how that lineup has looked throughout the entire season prior to this game (we only used it during 2 other games throughout the season...smh):

It has been a very successful bench lineup that we need to start using more of immediately.

That lineup -
    Offensive Rating of 121.1 (wow)
    Defensive Rating of 65.0 (wow)
    Net Rating of 56.1 (wow)
    Assist Ratio of 24.0 (wow)
    Rebound Perc. of 58.8 (good)
    Eff. Field Goal % of 81.1 (wow)

Maybe we found the formula for our bench?

Remlap, hajkov, dkim1984 and 32 others like this.
  2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Any bench involving CP3 as PG is going to beast on the other team's bench. There is a reason why Morey and MDA made such a big deal about 48 minutes of HOF PG play.

amaru, dkim1984, Handles and 27 others like this.
  3. icewill36

icewill36 Member

not to nitpick, but just imagine house instead of clark..... sigh

a man can dream

dkim1984, JuNx, Mr. Dominant and 8 others like this.
  4. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I posted the +/- in the other thread. There is more to it than the fluke +/- of this group. The starters built a large lead and the same group lost the large lead, and it negated the variance. The second group had Gerald Green in it who drained a ton of threes in a short span, him making those is what got the lead back, he hit 3 in a row at one point when the game was close. Austin River also hit a few threes in a short period. It was literally the difference between a game that should have gone down to the wire. Gary Clark was a +17 and didnt even attempt a single shot.

5. PWR

PWR Member

Yeah, I would love to have him back. I would take him over Shumpert.

dkim1984 likes this.
  6. HP3

HP3 Member

The problem with Green is that he's very inconsistent, so you cant really call that lineup full proof. Also in the playoffs teams are going to force Gary to shoot and hes gonna have to knock some down.

7. lionaire

lionaire Member

Danuel House and his agent in shambles

8. smokieethabear

I was waiting for this! Screw House, he couldn't get over his so called ego thinking his undrafted scrub ass deserved so much. Lots of players look good when defenses are soley focused on Harden.

Next season when this scrub is elsewhere he's gonna be a nobody. Guarantee his career will be with like 6-7 different teams and eventually he'll be playing abroad.

Johnbutte, Jontro, buzz1701 and 3 others like this.
  9. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

The only problem is that Faried will take Clark’s mins, as Faried will be a bench player, but will likely play around 30mins a night. Clark May still play, but I think that depends on how much we use PJ at the 3.

BaselineFade and PWR like this.
  10. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

And this is with the Raptors bench being praised again and again for being one of the best in the NBA. Today it looked like the Rockets were the far deeper team, something that would have seemed unfathomable in December and January.

11. deshen

deshen Member

It should depend on what kind of players they played against.

12. PWR

PWR Member

Gary had multiple blocks, multiple steals, and multiple rebounds in 10 minutes of playing time. He made plays.

Handles, Vivi, GotGame15 and 3 others like this.
  13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Most of the better posters said we would be a deep team once our injured players come back. Rivers instead of whatever crap we had at 3rd string PG last season? Faried instead of Black? Shump is basically our LMM, though we haven't really found someone to replace Ariza.

Roomba likes this.
  14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Harden couldn't hit a 3 OR a floater through the 3rd quarter --> Paul does exactly what he's paid squillions of dollars to do! Provide something else.

It isn't unfair to suggest that both Harden and Capela were on the quiter side most of the night. Then Harden comes in halfway through the 4th and goes unstoppable mode. Game.

15. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

It's not easy to replace somebody who was so alert in team defense situations and as familiar with the system as Ariza was.

That said, I think the gang is doing a good job--especially in the last few games--of creating havoc on defense. I've been impressed with the energy and communication on that end. The Rockets can be a good defensive team, still. They've shown it the last few games.

16. icewill36

icewill36 Member

idk why you guys insist on trying to bash a guy who helped us stay afloat while we had all these injures. he most certainly is not a scrub. he was efficient, played both ends, unselfish, and well liked by his teammates. thats why they wanted to sign him to a multi year deal in the first place, but of course low balled him. i just want to see the FO doing everything in their power to get a title. i just dont see how we are if we wont make sign someone who has already shown how effective he can be. Iman looks like a bust

PuzzledFan likes this.
  17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

On the year Gerald Green is shooting 35% from 3, however, since Paul's been back he's been hitting 39.5%. Sure that's a very inconsistent 39.5% but it's encouraging that he can be somewhat of a threat from deep.

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I have been down on Nene a lot this year, but credit where credit is due. He's looked pretty good for a while now.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Shumpert is unreliable, at least House can get physical and play some defense. Defense can help us even when we are going through scoring droughts. It's too bad that we don't have superior players than House, Clark, Nene and Shumpert. Gerald can shoot, but he brings little defense. I'm not trying to belittle Gerald. There was no way we could have won this game without him.

20. smokieethabear

I'll admit I'm ranting a bit. Just so tired of the obsession over this dude, especially since he ain't on this team anymore and may very well not be next season. His name pops up on the GARM like acne on a teenager. Just trying to enjoy this season and appreciate the effort by the current roster

Johnbutte and biff17 like this.