1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul Millsap or Al Jefferson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Furious Jam, Nov 9, 2012.

?

Paul Millsap or Al Jefferson - who would be the better Rocket?

1. Paul Millsap

137 vote(s)
    49.6%
  2. Al Jefferson

139 vote(s)
    50.4%
  1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

[​IMG]

could we get him or do you think its impossible?

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Well he's locked up on a long-term contract because they matched our offer sheet. He's basically their franchise centerpiece.

No way the griz parts wih him.

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

If they matched your offer sheet, they aren't allowed to trade him to you.

4. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

^ everything above. Wait two weeks into July, and if CP3 is staying put, Morey should start calling the Lakers.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

For one calendar year (I believe).

After that? It's okey-dokey artichokey.

6. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I havn't heard a peep from Al Jefferson ever since he was traded to Utah.

I think Utah fans may miss Boozer because Jefferson can't run a pick and roll.

Give me Millsap all day.

7. Aruba77

But Bima, that sounds like a move you make when you think you have the pieces to contend. Do you really think we're there yet? I agree I'd rather have Gasol than josh smith, but I don't want josh smith so that's not saying much. Truthfully I wouldn't want either unless I thought we had the pieces to contend because they'd take up valuable cap space and effectively end our rebuilding process. I don't think we're there yet, and I'm willing to be patient so that we build this thing to last. Paul Gasol seems like a short-sighted splash move that threatens to derail a very thoughtful, quality rebuilding process that is undoubtedly headed in the right direction. Instint gratification may be the death of us. Gasol and Harden don't make you a contender. It will, however, impair our ability to keep building a contender. Given his age and $20 cap number he should be the final piece. We're not there yet in my opinion.

#67 Aruba77, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  8. josh123

josh123 Member

this plz

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

We never signed gasol. There are no restrictions on him being traded here. Memphis is unlikely to trade him to us though.

10. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

no, for the duration of the contract.

The one year thing is a no-trade clause, it applies to other 28 teams.

11. teebone21

teebone21 Member

i would take jefferson since he draws doubleteams and i dont want a PF thats gonna sit at 3pt line all game. Big all can rebound like Asik and his ability in the post is ALOT more deadlier than scolas

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

He'd be an expiring. If you don't want Josh Smith, Pau seems like a great way to use that cap space for one year.

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

He doesn't like to pass out of those double teams, though.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

First of all, THIS. Daryl Morey only EXPLORED THE OPTION of signing Marc Gasol to an offer sheet in 2011, but he always knew it was never REALLY going to go anywhere. If anything, he just forced Memphis's hand to finally sign Gasol to a new contract. Morey wasn't going to tie up cap room on a lost cause.

Incorrect. The rule is that, FOR ONE YEAR after signing the offer sheet, the former restricted free agent whose offer sheet is matched cannot be traded (a) to the team with whom he signed the offer sheet or (b) to the other 28 teams without the player's consent.

The "duration of contract" thing you may be thinking of is the amnesty rule, in which a team cannot re-sign a player it waives via the amnesty provision for the duration of the waived player's contract.

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

no, i'm thinking of this:
    http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q43

i'm not aware of any actual CBA copy online, and now that I think of it, this quote could be interpreted both ways

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yes, the grammar isn't perfect; but it's only one year. Trust me on this one.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=7301353&postcount=87

(If you want to reply to this post, please do so in the "Pau Gasol" thread from which this post is pulled. It would be much more appropriate than in a thread supposedly about Paul Millsap and Al Jefferson.)

#76 BimaThug, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  17. nbafever

nbafever Member

can we go get DeMarcus Cousins?

18. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

If the Kings hadn't given him that ridiculous long term contract, I'd have given Jason Thompson a shot, to play P&R with Lin/Harden. He would've been worth an experiment at about 3 years 15mil maybe.

Either way, if we can't get Cousins, we need an athletic big that can run the floor and roll well.

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This is a good thread -- even though personally I don't want to see the Rockets go for short-term bandaids, it's a relevant question (Utah is shaping up to be a logical trading partner for the Rockets) and it should bring out intelligent replies. Not sure why some are voting the thread down.

20. Aruba77

How would I know that? I'm simply replying to your post. Thought I was making a fair point and was curious to get your take. Not sure I understand.