1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul Millsap or Al Jefferson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Furious Jam, Nov 9, 2012.

?

Paul Millsap or Al Jefferson - who would be the better Rocket?

1. Paul Millsap

137 vote(s)
    49.6%
  2. Al Jefferson

139 vote(s)
    50.4%
  1. alethios

alethios Member

I think Greg Monroe would be a better fit for this team. Sure he plays center but he could slide over to PF. Come on Morey, git 'er done.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

??? Smith would have a huge cap hold until he either signs or the Rockets would relinquish his rights. The only way Smith doesn't block a max free agent would be for the Rockets to use salaries of players they want to keep like Lin and Asik to match Smith's contract.

3. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

As much as you all hate it... I really think this is a real possibility and one that can get us into the top half of the western conference.

Asik
    Gasol
    Parson (so far the biggest disappointment)
    Harden
    Lin (really needs to work on pacing the team and ball control)

We would have to trade Terrence Jones or DMO maybe both plus royce white and a first rounder that they could then send to the Magic... We may be even able to swap out any of the three for morris

but a two man game of Gasol and Harden or Gasol and Lin with either Lin or Harden as the man waiting to knock the open three would be fun to watch

More importantly our interior defense would be superior with two legit 7fts and our rebounding at the 4 spot will no longer be a problem

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'd much rather bide our time and wait for someone better to come available (or see if one of our own develops) than overpay for good but not great players.

If we're paying someone near max, they better make us serious title contenders.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't know about Monroe, but I expect someone like him is the Rockets top trade target. Young guy on rookie scale that produces well. Use trade assets to get a young guy that could grow into a max player would be great. Someone like MKG who can play in the uptempo offense the Rockets want as well as someone who can take the best wing defensively.

I do think the Rockets have high hopes for the Patterson, Morris, Jones, Motiejunas, and White as a whole. The whole acquire every PF possible could just be is shotgun method to get a star PF cheap.

I think once acquiring a guy on rookie contract, Rockets will sign one of the max guys in off season. Who, I don't know.

6. jocar

jocar Member

7. alethios

alethios Member

He's better off with us than he is with Detroit. And they have to develop Drummond.

8. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

This makes no sense. You can't sign both Smith and CP3 (or Dwight). You'd have to get creative to sign CP3 alone.

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

He's Detroit's franchise player. He'll stay there for many years.
    And Drummond they got to pair with him, long term. Monroe's a 4, defensively.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No way. This idiot doesn't want to be here.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Correct. I voted Millsap over Al,but we need more than that.

12. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I say Al Jefferson. He can create his own shot and draw double teams, which Josh Smith cannot do. LMA, Love, and Cousins = pipe dreams. Not going to happen. Is Al Jefferson really that big of a dropoff from Bynum, whom CF was drooling over? I would like a Jefferson/DMo/Asik PF-C rotation. I think it makes sense to just invest money in three guys up front rather than four and give them all starters minutes. Is Jefferson that bad with the pick and roll? How is his outside shot?

Paul Milsap seems a little undersized. How is he on defense? I know he can't play center.

This young Stoudamire fellow you all mention - who is he? I don't know of anyone fitting that description in this reality.

I really wish we had just picked up Landry this past offseason. For $4M a year, that guy is a STEAL!!!

13. Mr Striker09

Mr Striker09 Member

I would love to have Cousins so bad! Hopefully it goes downhill for the Kings and they be willing to trade him.

14. roxxy

roxxy Member

LMA Love Cousins may all be pipe dreams but I would rather wait for a player of there caliber than settle for Paul or Al who won't get us past the second round.

15. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

actually seen al jefferson in houston after shortly after the jazz season ended last post season.

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Sorry, just saw this. Your premise is flawed in that you assume the Rockets can (or even would) trade Jeremy Lin AND Omer Asik to a team (or teams) that had sufficient cap room to take on their respective salaries and would not be trading back any salary whatsoever. Also, Josh Smith's CAP HOLD would be the maximum salary, so the Rockets would have to either dump him or commit to him long-term BEFORE being able to fit Dwight Howard or Chris Paul under the cap. Howard and Paul will have already agreed to sign somewhere before the Rockets could negotiate Smith into a reasonable contract.

While it is not theoretically IMPOSSIBLE to accomplish what you are talking about, for you to talk about it as if it's a sure-fire approach is rather irrational.

No offense.

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

THIS. People hate on Gasol like it's going out of style. But, from among the players the Rockets have more than a snowball's chance in hell at getting, he's the best. I'd take him 8 days a week over Josh Smith.

Sadly, I think if Phil gets hired as the new Lakers coach, the franchise will say "luxury tax be damned" and keep Gasol despite the hefty, hefty cost next season.

Here's hoping Jim Buss comes to the rest of the league's rescue (basketball-wise, not financially) and still tries to dump Gasol (and his $19.3 million salary in the final year of his deal, which could cost the Lakers upwards of $90-95 million when the new, more punitive luxury tax kicks in next season).

18. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Beggars can't be choosers. Love and Aldridge ain't coming here.

19. nono

nono Member

Funny how the Bulls let go of Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas. Lols.

20. thething

thething Contributing Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Zach Randolph. Memphis has a lot of money tied into Gasol, Gay, and Conley, so Randolph may be the odd man out with Tony Allen hitting free agency.