1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul for Hayward makes the most sense IMO

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RKREBORN, May 23, 2019.

1. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I would do it. Paul is definitely on the decline and Hayward can still improve. Baynes would be a nice backup.

You guys sound like you have a choice. Danny Ainge would not be dumb enough to take CP3 contract though.

Y2JT and RKREBORN like this.
  2. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm not a fan of bringing Hayward here.

All I'm saying is that, looking at other guards historically, Paul probably isn't going to get back to being a .260 WS/48 guy, so people shouldn't plan on that when trying to figure out what the Rockets should do this offseason.

HP3 likes this.
  3. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Daryl will figure it out.

4. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

If we got the Hayward before he broke his leg, i would be ok with it.................

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Lot of things in regards to CP3 ….

His age and the probability that he declines further going forward - probably a significant decline over the life of this contract.

The other thing is asset allocation - It just doesn't make sense to me to spend ~30% of your total cap space on CP3 when Harden is the defacto point.
    $40m for a secondary playmaker …. and one who cant really defend at a high level just doesn't make sense in the grand scheme. Its a luxury you just cant afford in a capped league.

I really believe you'd be better off with an allstar wing - 3/4 and a solid if unspectacular backup point (Rivers would be ideal in that role) and maybe a high level defender off the bench than the redundancy of Harden / CP3. Harden standing 35 feet from the bucket …. CP3 way out near the timeline when he's off the ball ….

I really don't believe they trade they trade CP3 …. but I think they could be better without him , especially long term.

Y2JT and smp like this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The numbers definitely agree with you, but context is important here. Chris Paul was in poor shape to start the season and it carried into the season. It is almost unfathomable that he'll repeat that mistake, especially given he parted ways with his own trainers mid season and made a comment about how his fitness was mishandled.

The other thing I see is he can definitely shoot better.

His ability to get to the rim and get open mid range will almost certainly continue to diminish. Being able to defend at 6'1 is becoming a bigger obstacle with each passing season independent of age. But there are parts of his game that dropped off for reasons other than age.

I don't know if it's the more likely outcome. I just think it's interesting to consider. On Hayward my opinion is that he was overrated before the injury and the game has not evolved in his favor. I don't think he will ever be able to keep up with players 6'7 and below again, and I don't think he will ever have the ability to move over to the bigger forwards like many ex-SF's have done. He is a good but not great shooter. He certainly has the ability to be a good scorer/passer and maybe a mediocre defender but I don't think it's a given he will be better than, say, Eric Gordon next season.

HP3, Gray_Jay and mike2k132 like this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't think anybody is planning for Cp3 to go back in time 2 years, even the other poster you quoted isn't certain of it,
    But we don't really need CP3 to be a max player just get double digit pts on good % and more than 5 assists a night while not being a liability on defense, even at his age he can do that and has been that for most of the regular season.

We just need a coach who doesn't assume how things play out in the regular season is how it plays out in the playoffs and we'll be alright.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  8. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Honestly I agree with u. I was wait till the playoffs guy for cp3...but was let down by him. So I'm just as mad as everyone that he played like **** last year. But the basketball observer in me think he played like trash cause he wasnt properly integrated in the offense due to injury n harden having to carry so much. I dont blame harden. He was in a groove n the games mattered so u didnt have the luxury to try to integrate cp3 properly. So I think a full season we may see a better cp3 as well. But with that said I'm not chancing it I'm still going for butler

Mathloom likes this.
  9. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Paul for Washington Beal, Thompson or leborn only.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Morey and MDA: Hold my beer

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

These trade proposals are reminding me of the time Morey wanted to trade a guy named Anderson. It's unrealistic to expect anything of value coming back in a trade when the player is on a bad contract.

Hayward only has two more years on his contract. His play was improving throughout the season. I don't see Boston trading him at this point.

ilias likes this.
  12. ilias

ilias Member

No matter what we may think of them as players, Paul is owed $124m to Hayward's $66m. At the going rate of $15-20m for a mid-late first, we are talking about an impossible deal for Morey to pull through. Plus Hayward's contract expires when Tatum's new contract would kick in, unlike Paul's. Plus Hayward has a higher chance of improving his recent form.

Only contract anyone would consider trading for Paul is Wall's. Let's face it we are doomed, we have no option but to ride this out. Our only hope is that we strike gold with minimums, MLEs, 2-way contracts and 2nd rounders, or that GSW breaks from within.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Huge decline after those injuries.

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

LMAO...so delusional

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Welcome to the Offseason though.

javal_lon likes this.
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

And yet...

17. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

His leg is broke! Like Tillman.

18. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Hayward was an amazing point forward with superior atheticism 3 seasons ago. With that said that ankle damage is a shroud of mystery.

19. Remlap

Remlap Member

IDEA:
    Someone should start a "Random Trades" thread for stuff like this

[​IMG]

20. tc0330

tc0330 Member

this aint it