1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul could learn so much from champions like Tom Brady, Tim Duncan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Senator, Feb 8, 2019.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

So it's essentially a gamble, then. The athlete puts some of his guaranteed earning power up against the chance that he'll make more if his team wins a title or two.

The problem with that is that there are so many factors that can prevent such a gambling athlete from ever winning a title: injury to himself or a key teammate, bad matchup in the playoffs, catching a team when it's really hot, you or your teammates not playing up to their potential, the front office taking your money and spending it stupidly, etc. Very little of that is under control of the gambling athlete, too. If this were tennis, it makes more sense for an elite athlete to bet on himself to win it all, but even then you could injure yourself or just have a bad day and all those possible earnings fly out the window.

It's a huge gamble which only looks great and heroic when it works. When it doesn't work, which likely happens more often, you're a fool who gave up millions betting on a long-shot horse.

I totally get that it sounds awesome to sacrifice for your team. It's just not the smart bet.

2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

This statement is funny to me. You do know that Durant and Draymond are the only ones on the team who actually took a paycut to keep the team together right?

Curry was injury prone and signed a fair contract first go around, but the first chance Curry had to sign a super max he did. He's making 40 Million this year compared to Durants 30 million. Klay also signed a Max contract just his escalators were not as high due to his starting salary. s Durant could easily be making 45 million if he stayed with the Thunder and kept signing super max contracts. He's also on record taking less money so the Warriors could resign Iguodala.

See what happens this summer and next. WIll Klay actually take less money to keep the team together? Will Draymond do it again? He is on record saying he will not take a pay cut this time around. We shall see.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/12/draymond-green-not-taking-pay-cut-next-contract

HP3 and topfive like this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Congressperson, your thread is a waste of your time and our own. I asked about the possibility of Chris adjusting his contract to give us more room to improve the team earlier today. A member I respect, @heypartner, told me what I suspected but couldn't recall for sure. It is against the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the CBA, for Paul to "adjust" his contract, even if he wanted to. The rules don't allow it. I'll also point out that when Chris first came aboard, he gave up money to do it.

We all would like the Rockets to have more available funds to spend on improving the team, but those funds aren't coming from Chris Paul. They either come from Daryl Morey working some magic and creating cap space, not easy, or Tilman Fertitta opening his checkbook and cap be damned. Sorry, but from where I sit, that's pretty much the options we have. This idea of blaming CP3 for our current financial state is being wildly overblown in the GARM, in my humble opinion, and with a little luck, Chris will prove to all of you that having him here is terrific for the Rockets.

Proof? 65 wins last season. Somehow, the impact of acquiring Chris Paul before last season keeps being ignored by some. Had Chris not gotten injured at the end of game 5 against Oakland and we had won the championship in the Finals, or if the rest of the team, aside from Harden, had stepped up and we had managed a win in either game 6 or game 7, or if even Trevor Ariza, who's loss keeps being moaned about here, had hit a few shots himself, we might have won anyway. Heck, if the refs hadn't called the last two games like they were in Oakland's back pocket, we might have pulled it off, although the Finals would definitely have been more difficult without the fellow you are complaining about.

Just some food for thought, food we have chewed on here several times already. You "pointed out" nothing new.

4. aroundtheblock2

People here keep blaming CP3 for taking the max. How about KD taking less than max? That's why the Rockets cant capitalize on CP3 right now. The league was tricked when KD decided to take less money with GS, not once but multiple times. Cousins left $35 million on the table to go to GS.

The problem is other players. CP3 did what he is supposed to do based on the league design.

buffalobills!!! and HP3 like this.
  5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

If I was an NBA player, I would like to be like any Rocket player past, present or future that wins a Championship. I would do almost anything to contribute to another Houston chip. Unfortunately the size of my heart does not match the size of my basketball abilities.

I know A BUNCH of you out there feel me. Gerald is out there living our dream and we love him for it!

clos4life likes this.
  6. clos4life

clos4life Member

Nothing wrong with that either.

7. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How to deflate basketballs?

8. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

O’s Trig would be proud of this statement

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

WHY ARE WE EVEN TALKING ABOUT HOW MUCH MONEY THE DAD FROM THE BRADY BUNCH MADE?!?!?!

10. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Don’t forget: You need to take the pay cut because the team’s front office gave a role player a 4-year, 80-million dollar contract before you ever arrived.

topfive likes this.
  11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Dont blame paul when Morey and Tilman didn't sit down with him and negotiate.

When Lebron and Wade teamed up, they all took paycuts in their primes. CP3 is past his prime and still getting paid the max.

12. HP3

HP3 Member

I've nothing to contribute to this thread other than the fact that I think Tom Brady is a douche.

topfive and buffalobills!!! like this.
  13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Chris Paul : Danuel House :: Gimme money : Gimme money

No?

14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

For the record, Tom’s wife probably got a lot money herself. Don’t think CP3s has that luxury.

That said, CP has other endorsements and is an intelligent guy — he’s smart enough to do more with less money. Some athletes are immature and reckless with their finances.

Has an NBA player ever restructured his contract? Is that allowed in the NBA CBA?

15. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I said this already. What CP3 means when he says he is all about winning he really means he is all about winning the most money he can squeeze out of the Rockets.

16. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

The thing about your argument is that CP3 isn't worth max, the others you are mentioning are.

17. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Our boy Ryan Anderson took like 5 mill less the last year or his contract. So yes.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Negotiation is about both sides leaving something on the table.

CP0 took it all.

19. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Conference Finals last season.......

People need to get over it that he is getting a contract like this. He will earn his keep in the Playoffs, that is what he is paid to do

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't think it is allowed but even if it was it damn sure wouldn't be the President of the Players Union setting that precedent.

DatRocketFan likes this.