1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patterson Playing Time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BoomTown, Jan 27, 2012.

Tags:
  1. conquistador#11

there is something about patterson that i'm not liking. He is a little timid right now. Yesterday, he had an open lane from the baseling, and instead of going in there to throw it down, he shoots a 5ft jumpshot and misses. he is still rounding into shape.

2. gambingo

gambingo Member

Trade away your only player who has a reliable post game. NOT a good idea.

3. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

At this point I have to agree with this. We have no other player that has any type of post game. I agree that we should trade him but not for peanuts.......he is still a valuable player and probably our 2nd best player.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Youth is the only thing Patterson has gong for him.

Scola has a better post game, he's a better rebounder, shoots a higher percentage, and is a better defender. Patterson frequently get lost or bullied down low. Scola is even a better finisher at the rim, he doensn't dunk, but neither does patterson this year.

Scolas numbers aren't gonna be as shiny as they were last year, but he's been just as effective.

Individual rebounds are down, thanks to Parsons and Dalembert, but the team as a whole is much better rebounding, we have the 3rd best rebound diff.

His FG% is down a little (49% to his career 51%) but nothing major.

He's still averaging 18 and 7 per 36 mins. Scola is fine.

Patterson is only averaging 6 reb/per 36 and he doesn't play as much with Dalembert and Parsons.

Adjusted plus minus

Patterson ( he actually has the worst number on the team for the 1 year)

1 yr -12.00 2 yr - 6.90

Scola

1 yr + 4.15 2 yr + 0.80

Luis is still a much more effective player. Scola is better at everything except the mid range jumper, and even thats close.

Patterson simply isn't that good right now, but the injury i believe is still playing a factor. He's fine in his current role.

1 person likes this.
  5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Patterson doesn't have an offensive game, he has a jump shot.

6. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Patterson starting?

I've seen too many games where son gets out rebounded by one or both of our PGs. I'd take Scola on a off night or that young man we brought up from the Vipers. Patterson seems like he is trying develop a shot like Dirk but without the actual talent or skills necessary for it.

7. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

Patterson is still recovering from injury. You can tell he's not ready for heavy minutes just yet.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am a big fan of Patterson. His post game isn't as refined as Scola, but the defensive lapses are almost non existent. He could very well be the best spot up mid range shooter in the league. Seriously, does he ever miss that elbow shot?

If Scola is moved, I would be comfortable with him starting.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Patterson has neither the post moves nor the rebounding instincts of Scola, and he's only a little bit better as a defender. I don't think I would feel comfortable with Patterson starting at the 4 right now when we are in the middle of a playoff run. He's a good backup though.

10. YaosDirtyStache

Ive never seen what people see in PPat. The guy is a jump shooter that offers zero rebounding and only looks good on D because he is matched up with the opponents backup PF.

He is rounding in to Mo Taylor V2, a no rebounding jump shooter.

11. larsv8

Thats not even remotely true.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

The only real difference I see is that he'll block more shots than Scola, to be honest. Scola plays hard on defense, he just doesn't have very good physical tools.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

Also, I will say that I think in the future Patterson will be a solid rebounder. He was a pretty good rebounder in college and that usually translates pretty well. He just doesn't have Scola's experience or confidence yet.

14. larsv8

Scola is one of the worst defenders in the league, Patterson is above average.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Scola's defense is underrated around the league, and Patterson's is overrated on this board.

The combination of those two = they're much closer in defense than you think.

16. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

He averaged the same reb/min as Nene and most of this forum was on Nene's nuts this offseason.

17. larsv8

You can believe whatever you want, but if one of those things is that Scola is an underated defender, well....smh.

Scola will make rotations, run out on defenders, but its a layup drill within 5ft of the basket. Heck, Ive even seen him move away to get back on offense quicker. Its like he will concede the basket to push the fast break opportunity. Man to man, he doesn't have the lateral quickness to be a good man to man defender

18. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't think you realize that almost all good PFs in the league are bad defenders. I can't even think of a good defensive star PF off the top of my head now that Duncan, Gasol, and KG are washed up. West, Lee, Boozer, Bosh, Stoudamire, Griffin, Love, Dirk ALL terrible.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ok....Patterson still has more potential.... Scola can't jump.... the only thing he can do is help D and his positioning.
    Patterson can alter shots, ...... be quicker on the guy...... with his athleticism coming back of course....