1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pats sign Major Applewhite

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mfclark, Apr 23, 2002.

1. mfclark

mfclark Member

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The Patriots carried 4 QB's on the roster last year, but I don't know if they will do it again. Huard is the only backup on the roster with experience so IMO it will be Davey and Applewhite battling for the last spot. Davey has the advantage because he was drafted (Pats had to see something in him...right?). I think Major can beat out Davey though. I bet Davey switches positions.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I think Applewhite could be the next Warner. People are not gonna give him a shot til he's in his 30's, and then he will emerge as an overnight success on a team people didn't give a chance. This post should be taken seriously because I am an Aggie by the way.

4. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Applewhite as the next Kurt Warner :confused:
    I like major but I feel he will end up as better coach then player

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Major could surplant Brady as the starting QB for that team. Honestly, Brady was great last season, but there wasn't a whole lot about his game that I found absolutely spectacular. He just found ways to win. But I think QBs that are like that can easily have up and down seasons, so now that Bledsoe is gone, assuming Major can fight his way into the backup position, I think he has a good chance to get some starts this season if Brady is subpar.

6. Band Geek Mobster

Anyone else catch the Major interview on Fox?

He didn't sound too confident in himself in the interview.

He was like, "Well I'll just try hard, I'm not going to expect anything to happen, it would be nice if I could make the team, etc etc"

He just sounded like he already lost the job before he even got to training camp...

I don't see Major doing much in the NFL.

A funny comment by him was about joining the Patriots...

"I've never played for a championship team before."

:)

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Major Applewhite the next Kurt Warner? You guys are insane.

8. epicRibbit

epicRibbit New Member

I doubt he'll make the roster after the cuts this Fall, if he's going to make a mark in the NFL - it'll be as some type of coach.

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I don't think Major's knees will hold up for him to have a successful pro career.

10. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Brady, Huard and Davey all have at least 3 inches or so on Applewhite, it seems clear that the Patriots value big quarterbacks with strong arms, which Applewhite is not.

I still think he has a chance to stick as a 3rd stringer, and because of that, the value of spending time with Belichik, a defensive maestro might really pay off down the line when he becomes a coach.