1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Patterson Post-Draft Diary

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by idrockfan, Jul 19, 2010.

1. idrockfan

idrockfan Contributing Member

[Sports Illustrated] Patrick Patterson Post-Draft Diary

First Summer League experience ends on high note for new Rocket

What's up everyone? Just finished my first NBA Summer League in Las Vegas, and it was great. But before I went out there, our team had two-a-days in Houston and while I was in town I got a chance to scout out my new home. Some of my new teammates helped me find a nice, gated community near a grocery store and some fun spots to go out to at night, and though I'm still learning all the great places in the Houston area, I've already explored the The Galleria shopping center and found a great soul food restaurant in Midtown.

I flew to Vegas on July 8 and was en route with some of my teammates when LeBron announced "The Decision." I thought he might go to Chicago, but the Miami choice didn't surprise me. I think people are being too critical of LeBron; I'm sure he would have wanted to win a title in Cleveland, but he just didn't think he could. You go to the NBA to play basketball and to win championships. You can't blame a guy for wanting to win championships. I think it's wrong for people to portray him as an villain.

When we first heard the news, one of my teammates was like, "Man, I'm glad we only have to play them twice!" It cracked me up, though I can't say I disagree. That team will be a monster, so I'm glad they're in the Eastern Conference.

Right now, my primary focus is the Rockets. We left Vegas on July 14, and it felt good to get back on the court. But it was definitely challenging. The NBA has different rules, schemes, techniques and movement than college. The pro game is so physical, even in Summer League, and it's tough to remember all the plays and defensive rotations. In college, a lot of the time it's just about going out there and playing ball. In the NBA, as I'm finding out, if you don't score on a fast break, you have to run a play.

I took the Summer League experience as an opportunity to try to soak in as much information as possible, since I have so much to learn. On a typical day, I'd wake up around 10:30 or 11, order some room service and then head to the team trainer's room to pick up my jersey, warm-ups and the rest of the gear. About an hour later, we would head to the gym to play.

One of my goals is to getting used to shooting the NBA three - which, at the top of the arc, is four feet farther from the goal than the NCAA line -- in game situations. I've been really working to improve my outside shot because it'll be key to helping our team win, since Yao Ming attracts so many double teams in the post.

I had a lot of free time during my days there, and since it was my first time being over 21 in Vegas I got to really enjoy the city. One night I was at one of the clubs at The Palms and DJ Jazzy Jeff from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was there. I recognized him right away because he was dressed just like his character in the show. It was hilarious.

We ended up going 3-2 in Summer League play, which is OK, but we really wanted to go undefeated. Fans probably think we don't care about winning or losing in Summer League games, but our coaching staff really emphasized to us the importance of winning, even in what seems like a few meaningless games.

I don't know how many of the guys on the Summer League team will be with us when the season starts, but I really hope [guard] Ishmael Smith from Wake Forest makes the squad. He put on some great performances and he's a great guy to have around [Smith had double-doubles in his last two games, while averaging 7.8 points on 58.1 percent shooting and a team-high 4.8 assists in Vegas.]

Early last week I signed my rookie contract. Even though I knew it was more of a formality, it was still an unbelievable feeling. It ranks right up there with being drafted because it's like the team, the city and the people were accepting me. When you put your name on that dotted line, it's settled. You're signing your life to a team, and committing to being a part of something bigger than yourself.

I'm headed back to Lexington for a few days to see everyone from Kentucky before I take a much-needed vacation in Florida. It's been a crazy past few months, so I'm going to hit the beach and try to relax.

When I get back to Houston, I'm throwing out the first pitch at an Astros game and attending an MLS exhibition game between the Dynamo and Manchester United. You already know I'm a big soccer fan, and just like I predicted, Spain won the World Cup. Of course, I wanted the U.S. to win, but I said before the start of the Cup that Spain was going to win, and I was right.

Catch you all next time!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/patrick_patterson/07/18/diary.4/

#1 idrockfan, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Defeatists. The Rockets will play them and beat them 6 times.

1 person likes this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Cool stuff, thanks for sharing.

I don't think Patrick realizes that people are bashing James for how he conducts himself, not only the fact that he's going to Miami. Anyway, enough of that.

I hope he doesn't fall in love with his outside shot; we don't necessarily need him, Miller, Andersen, and Scola running around on the perimeter, but I like that he's working on versatility.

Cool that he likes Ishmael Smith... if our roster wasn't so full I wouldn't mind seeing that guy get plugged in.

4. Prince

Prince Member

he went 2/2 in the first game. great potential.

5. idrockfan

idrockfan Contributing Member

This has been my hope too.

6. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

I'm sure you still have a chance. ;)

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I like this guy... great stuff, interesting read... seems a bit coached out of him from SI staff, but that's OK. It's a great read.

8. angrykitty

angrykitty Member

He was a communications major, so he probably knows how to write.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Attaboy.

10. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I am impressed with your courage, gentleman. Please impregnate my ex so that I may have the gift of care for someone from your bloodline.

11. alethios

alethios Member

Quote: " In the NBA, as I'm finding out, if you don't score on a fast break, you have to run a play."

well, duh! It's not Rockets science.

ok, seriously, I love the kid. He's smarter than most.

12. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Nostradamus predicted that:

"The NBA will have a new champion.....and that will be the Rockets!"

13. DUHK

DUHK Member

I just hope he doesn't get too in love with just the 3 point shot O_O

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Keep in mind who his two college coaches were... DDO is basically let the guards set up the situation and before that he had Billy Clyde... who basically had no offensive set up other than beat your man.

He didn't have a Tubby or Coach K to force him into learning offensive sets.