1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Patterson=Antawn Jamison!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by robroy77, Mar 18, 2011.

1. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

We are always trying to compare young players to established stars, and I think Antawn Jamison is very comparable to Patterson on the offensive side. About the only thing that Patterson lacks is Jamisons 3pt range, but he didnt even get that until he was in the league for a little while. They both are good rebounders. They both have a nice high percentage mid range game. The thing that Pat has a lot in common with Jamison is the great soft touch within 5-7 feet of basket. Im sure somebody else can think of somebody better, but dont think about Jamison now, think about him when he was younger and more athletic!

#1 robroy77, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I've said Paul Millsap since the beginning, steady/solid PF who will just do everything very well.

3. Mr Chuck Norris

YES! right on the money. Exactly who I was looking for. I think he will increase his range next season tho

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Patrick is in my opinion, still very raw. He has no go-to move; and most of his shots are created by others not on his own. Imagine Patterson with Scola-esque or Hakeem-esque post moves... :eek:

Since it's his rookie season and teams haven't heavily scouted him yet, it's going to be okay to keep on doing the things he is doing... but come next season, he's going to have to improve his game.

Definitely a keeper for the Rockets.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Pat will have to stop playing defense to reach the Jamison level.

2 people like this.
  6. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I think the best comparison I've heard is Antonio McDyess.

7. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Antonio McDyess.

8. Rockets_4_life

Honestly, he reminds me of David West.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm not as interested in increased range on his outside shot,as in low post scoring and better defensive rebounding.We need the best of Luis and Chuck out of Patterson. I hope he become a more aggressive player offensively with time, while getting better defensively as well.

10. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

1. I hope that he stays with the Rockets for his whole career
    2. I hope that his career doesn't end like Jamison's, playing for a team that sucks massive donkeys

11. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

I think is athletic ability kills the comparison to West, but other parts of his game are similar!

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes,that's a good description.

13. MajorSeanBond

MajorSeanBond Member

This!^^^

14. devilsdandruff

Antawn Jamison does not dunk [rarely]

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I think some of you guys are reaching a bit.

I think his ceiling is closer to a more athletic Antonio Davis. Not a bad player to have by any stretch, but he doesn't have the offensive polish that Jamison had coming out of college. He was a great, great player at UNC.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He's more physical than Jamison. Better Defender, but not as good offensively. Not a good comparison.

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

For some reason I always thought Jamison was either a small forward or a tweener, but I always thought he was more of a finesse player. I think Patrick plays/ can play more physical than AJ.

18. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Patterson can block shots and defend. Jamison is a tweener that can't play defense.

I hope he develops more like Horford than Jamison.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Jamison was a soft tweener who gets abused on defense. He's also a chucker on offense. Patterson is a legit four who can play defense like a legit four... and apparently capable of blocking shots to boot. He also plays smart on offense and shoots wisely.

In terms of offensive skillset, I would love to see PP reach Jamison's levels. But otherwise, PP is not nearly as limited.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Patterson's true limit is the most hated Power Forward by Rockets fans. :)

20. ThaShark316_28

My CEILING for him was MAYBE Carlos Boozer if he developed a sick face-up game with that nice mid range...

(check the capped words before you flame me)