1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley selected for the NBA Skills Challenge at All-Star Game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Count it fortunate it's not Lin. ;)

Seriously, It is very surprising. The contest is supposed to be about OFFENSIVE PG skills. Beverley, even in his peak last season, has never been known to be good at that. In fact, most people, fans or not, would agree that Beverley is a below average offensive PG. The only offensive skill Beverley is not below average is 3pt shooting (.372).

It would be a lot more reasonable if this was some sort of defensive contest. As much drop off as Bev's defensive performance this season, he at least has the reputation in the league. Where is his offensive reputation?

Joey Dorsey got snubbed. :grin:

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Does this mean harden is going to participate while Bev spots up in he corner?

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Watch him win it. :cool:

4. Airdough

Airdough Member

The general consensus seems to be (outside of the slams on Pat, which we know he hasn't performed well but he's being asked to do play a role for which he isn't suited):

If Pat wins (which I hope he does because it would be cool and gives me a reason to at least record the event and watch), it means his trade value goes up.

If Pat loses, then the event means nothing.

5. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Congratulations and have fun, Pat. Wishing you the best.

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You should watch WWE instead of sports.

7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

patrick beverley in the skills challenge? what am i dreaming?
    [​IMG]

not a dream, its for reals yall! :eek:
    [​IMG]

i hope its a knee cap skills challenge for his sake, westbrook ;)

8. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I knew exactly what it would look like before I clicked.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

SCREW THE HATERS WOLVERINE. GO WIN IT.

10. bongman

bongman Member

You guys have it all wrong... the rules for the skills challenge is as follows:

First held in 2003, it is a competition to test passing, ball-handling and shooting ability. In the current version of the contest, a participant first shoots a layup. After dribbling between three obstacles, the player must throw a pass into a first net that does not touch the ground. Then, the player shoots a jump shot from 20 feet from the basket. Next, the player must dribble between two more obstacles before passing off to his teammate who repeats the process. When all of these tasks are completed successfully, the timer is stopped. The team with the fastest time wins.

The new twist is that they have to all do this while PB is guarding them. He is not a contestant.

11. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

hahahahaaha

12. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Why post this now? With all the pretend insiders that have come and gone, don't you think saying something like this only brings up doubt? It's kind of easy to say you know/knew something after the info comes out. Just saying. Regardless, cool story.

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Does the skills challenge require you to play D?

Pat Bev has limited skills on the offensive end. That J Harden dude doing a lot fo good work to get H town some recognition.

I'd rather Bev stay in town and rest as well as have a deep look at himself.

This is only going to bloat his ego further where he thinks he is a baller offensively and tries to do more than pounding the ball for 24s and taking a fadeaway.

I'm usually one for as many Rockets to represent H Town in the All Star game but definitely not in this case.

14. marky :)

marky :) Member

Y'all misread the article.

Beverley will replace one of the mannequins the players must dribble around.

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Well Clutch you weren't helping anything with the passive aggressive use of the ellipses.

16. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

LMAO:grin:

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Morey, I see what you did there...

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

It'd be pretty cool if there was a defender at the end of the circuit, actually.
    The last obstacle in the challenge will be a one on one battle with Pat Bev.

19. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

My thoughts exactly.

20. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Maybe he'll pick up some pg skills and actually improve the 2nd half. Why ya mad though