1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley remind anyone else of Darrell Armstrong??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DrNuegebauer, Jan 21, 2013.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Just watching him today reminded me of the lil' Penny hustle machine!

Seems like that tenacious defender who finds a way to make an impact on the game.

Loving his performances so far!

2. prs325

prs325 Member

Good comparison! Although I don't remember Armstrong having a jumper. More of a great energy guy, pesky defender type.

3. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Wait until you see his dunking ability. He is gonna dunk it on someone one of these days!

4. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

His run run run reminds me of Skip when he first came over from Toronto.

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Could anyone provide highlights or a good place to find them of the game?

Can't watch cause Comcast sucks dong.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Reminds me of Maxwell!

7. platypus

platypus Member

This is what I've been waiting for someone to push lin for playing time who has good upside!

We all know toney Douglas was only playing because our lack of quality point guards. Douglas dribbles with his head to the ground and rarely helps the flow of the offense.

Beverly on the other hand seems to have good defense and play making ability.

8. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I think we're going to see a platoon at PG for the rest of the season. Unless Lin mans up and stops listening to the coaches. Lin said last year that the reason he failed in Golden State and everywhere before New York was because he was trying to please everyone else and wasn't playing his game, and only when he said, "Fuq it, I'll play my game no matter what, if I get benched at least I'll go out my way" did he find success. Guess what- the coaches are telling him not to play his game now, and all listening to them has gotten Lin is the bench anyway. Time for Lin to mentally toughen up.

9. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

I'll be thrilled if Beverley can be a dark JJ Barea. Great signing by Morey!

10. tor.rocks

tor.rocks Member

LOH making it like he's better than Lin. He's not. I have no idea why he's hoping up the court. I surprise he hasn't been called for more travels.

Lin sucks butt right now though. I'll give him one year.

11. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Yes, he reminds me a bit of Maxwell. I just love the energy he brings. The games he played at RGV he played big minutes and wasn't as hyper as he has been with the Rockets. Important to note that he really hasn't had much practice time at all with the Rockets, so I think he will be even better in the future. He's good at passing, so if he can hit the three pointers on a regular basis he's going to be a great find for Morey. He doesn't finish real well at the basket in my opinion, but overall he's doing great for a guy that's just joined a new team. And props for McHale playing him. People say McHale doesn't play rookies, but Parsons and Beverley show that he will if they can make a difference.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How do you know that?

13. CCM721

CCM721 Member

LOF hating on a Rocket's player that isn't Lin surprise surprise.

1 person likes this.
  14. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Why would a player not play to his strengths? As another poster noted, Beverly goes to the same spots on the floor as Lin when Harden is on the court, making it highly unlikely that Lin is doing it out of his own accord and not following coaching instructions. Lin has never been successful his entire basketball career (or never even asked to) being a spot up shooter and passing the ball to someone else to make the play. Lin's game has always been as the playmaker.

15. durvasa

Because there's one ball, Harden is typically a better option, and he knows it.

In this offense, everyone has the freedom to make a play or pass it if they think someone else has a better play. You actually think in those stretches where Lin is aggressive and he's making plays, he's going against the coach's orders?

16. nadman89

nadman89 Member

lol he looks like him and plays like him great comparison

17. platypus

platypus Member

You're acting like lin is a elite player off the p&r. The coaches are coaching him outside of his comfort zone so that he can improve as a player.

Why would you run p&r with lin when you're paying James harden 15 million a year to be elite at that facet of the game. Lin needs to adjust and learn how to finish and shoot.

18. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I don't think he's going against the coach's orders- I think he's ignoring the coach's orders and just playing on instinct. I've read a lot of articles over the years of NBA stars ignoring plays drawn up by coaches and freelancing and making their own plays on offense (T-Mac was one I believe). I just believe that thinking on the basketball court leads to passivity and what we're seeing out of Lin right now, and when Lin is playing well he just plays out of instinct, like many NBA stars do.

I don't disagree that Harden is typically a better option, but I think there's an internal conflict within Lin (because he's been the playmaker and #1 option on every successful team he's been on his whole life, most notably just last season with the Knicks during Linsanity). I'm just saying that his instinct, reinforced year after year of his basketball-playing career, goes against his current situation on the court and the game plan stated by the coaches.

Even if Harden is typically a better option, this team may still be better off taking turns (maybe Lin with the ball in the 1st and 3rd quarters, Harden with the ball in the 2nd and 4th quarters) instead of wearing Harden out the whole game and rendering Lin practically useless the whole game. Harden can conserve energy and be an excellent spot up option when Lin dominates the ball while Lin is contributing and running the team much more effectively than he tries to now.

19. eman

eman Contributing Member

He is our best PG. In fact, he is the best player ever!

20. durvasa

Or, more likely, there are no particular "orders", and Lin sometimes feels confident enough to be take control and often times he doesn't.

Anyways, didn't mean to derail this thread and turn it into another discussion on Lin.