1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley has opted for surgery will miss season and playoffs.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Mar 30, 2015.

1. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

nate robinson anyone?

2. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah.... me too. Even if he were still on the Rockets, he wouldn't be getting minutes over Pablo and Terry.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Depends on the rookie. I agree that McHale and Morey don't seem the types to entrust that position to a first-year guy. But I hope someone reminds them that the first title the Rockets ever won was due in large part to the play of one Sam Cassell who not only was a rookie, but didn't really start to get meaningful minutes til halfway through the season when he replaced Scottie Brooks in the rotation.

Hell, if you wanna go a step farther, the Rockets don't beat Seattle in 1997 if rookie PG Matt Maloney doesn't go off in Game 4 and hit a clutch 3-pointer late in Game 7. So there is precedent for this sort of thing. If a really good PG prospect is there in the draft at 13 or 14, why not take a shot?

4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Um, he plays for the Clippers.

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Bev is gone unless he signs for $3 million or less per year. Johnson is signed for 2 more years at less than a million per, and the Rockets are likely bringing Llull over for $4 to $5 per.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

What the Rockets are losing with Bev out is defense. And Nick Johnson played better defense on the court than Canaan.

Hopefully JT and Prigs can limit turnovers and hit 3pt shots. And hopefully Nick Johnson can get some decent minutes to guard the faster PGs in the West.

7. joeson332

joeson332 Member

eff OKC fans btw

8. joeson332

joeson332 Member

he just got cut today I believe

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am sure Cuban will be willing to offer a contract.

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Terry will likely continue to give us what he has thus far. 20 minutes a night, the occasional game where he goes off from downtown, and no dumb plays or careless TOs. Only difference is it'll be as a starter rather than off the bench.

11. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

If we can't get an upgrade at PG by trading, I could see us trying to lock up Beverley with a 2-year deal above his market value but the 2nd year unguaranteed/partially guaranteed. That would give us essentially an expiring contract to match trades with. Of course this totally depends on the other offers Bev is gonna get.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Good luck on your future team Bev. Too bad it didn't work out here.

13. vstexas09

the clippers didn't re-sign him

14. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

as he is a FA this summer, is waiving him and get a PG from Europe or D-League for playoffs an option ?

15. hakeemthagreat

Well first off, I agree Bev is all those things. While his offense has been poor most of the season. His defense has always been consistently good, which contributed to James Harden's level of play this year. Beverley is a physical player to his own detriment.

Pablo a playmaker? Um ok. Pablo is a sufficient P&R player at times but he's FAR from a playmaker. He's a poor 3pt shooter (worse than Bev) and can't create his own shot or finish at the rim with somebody guarding the paint. Trust me, Bev's toughness will definitely be missed at his position

16. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Oh damn... that was quick.

ETA: I see they cut him because he was too banged up to play. Eh.

17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

As you said, we will probably draft around the 13-14 position, that will be most likely a prospect and most likely, he will need time to develop under this system.

Canaan, Johnson, TJ, Dmo, Marcus Morris, none of them were given too much chance to play in their rookie year and most of those teams were not better than this current Rox team.

Next year could be the last year before Dwight will be gone, there is no time for prospect development. Its the year the Rox must go for it.

So either they trade for a big name, or they will keep Bev, and I will not be surprised to see they will draft another overseas player in this coming draft also and go all in again in FA.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Unfortunately I don't think we can beat the Warriors without him. Morey is innovative though, go sign Joe Haden or something.

19. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

I like Nick The Dick over the other variations (Nick Big Dick or Nick the Big Dick)....

20. vstexas09

is cuban really going to offer bev more? won't he be capped if he tries to re-sign monta and rondo?