1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley has opted for surgery will miss season and playoffs.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Greatest Bev memory?

[​IMG]

2. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

The guys a warrior (not one of those pansies from GS), so if he opted for the surgery and forfeited the remainder of his season, he must really be in pain or unable to move his hand! Good luck Wolverine, I wish you a full and Godspeed recovery!

[​IMG]

GO ROCKETS!!!

#22 BamBam, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  3. lexled

lexled Contributing Member

We will miss his defensive intensity and his "take no **** from anyone" attitude, especially in the playoffs. His offense, not so much. Speedy recovery Bev.

4. bmd

bmd Member

I think he was dealing with injuries. He was shooting lights out for a while. And he said he really worked on his shot over the summer.

Then not only did his shot falter, but his defense didn't look good either. He would get beat a lot more than normal. That was uncharactaristic of him.

So I think whatever injuries he was dealing with really affected his play this season. He's much better than he showed.

5. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Pablo and Jet can handle things fine through the playoffs... if they can avoid injury.

Nick has his chance now and really needs to step it up. We need him to provide some depth, spot minutes to lessen the load, and spot defensive assignments. He has a great opportunity.

6. JazzLakerHater

I'd obviously rather have him healthy and play for us, but boy was he frustrating to watch this year.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I wonder if Sergio Llull will be here next season and give us that second playmaker.

If the price isn't grotesque, I can see Patrick Beverly signing here and getting 28 mpg or so. Perhaps. But to be honest, Nick Johnson could supplant him if just given minutes. Again...perhaps.

In any case, I wish him a full recovery. Needing surgery sucks.

Maybe the contract-year status had something to do with it. Pat often kept us in games with his wild abandon, getting us extra possessions and whatnot. He also shot us in the foot from time to time.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Morey gives no ****s. :p

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Didn't he opt against surgery a few years ago in a very similar situation?

Don't blame him at all for choosing surgery this time. Gotta look out for number 1.

10. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

I think this actually increases the chances of us retaining Bev beyond this season as teams will be scared of offering him multi-year guaranteed deals. We have his Bird rights so we don't even have to use the MLE.

11. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Damn... Backcourt defence just took a serious hit. Anyone who thinks the opposite is blind. Playoffs are a different animal, we needed all the bodies we could get.

12. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Even Rondo?????

13. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Depends on how the Rox will do in the playoff, if we are doing fine and even will win a championship, then yes, Bev is very forgettable and replaceable.

If our PG will be struggling in the playoff, it will only raise his stock.

14. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Its a wrist injury. I doubt that will prevent teams from offering him a multi-year contract.

15. DreamEarlNolan

With Beverley out for the rest of the season, does that open a roster spot and allow the Rockets to sign another player to the team without cutting someone?

16. hakeemthagreat

No need for this, we got Prigs. Apparently he's the seconday playmaker that Bev's been holding this team back from:rolleyes:

17. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

That little tear in his knee that is waiting to go zzzzzzzzip might be a bigger concern. I wonder if he would consider getting that fixed. He deserve the security of contract of 3-5 years. The Rockets paid him 1 milion for two years, I wonder how much he made from other income?

18. Nook

Nook Member

Beverly didn't hold anyone back. He is a warrior, a very good defender and plays very hard. However, he has not been playing well for most of the season, is not the playmaker or steady influence that Pablo is. I would far rather have Beverly healthy and playing, but the reality is, if there is one rotation player they can afford to lose, it is Beverly.

19. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I think any one of Nick, Ariza or Brewer would be more likely to draw that assignment. I'd hope, anyway.

If Nick can put together a passable offensive game, I think we will be okay. I don't think the drop-off from Bev's defense to Nick's is drastic (though very small sample size admittedly) -- but his offense can't continue to be non-existent. I liked what McHale did yesterday... running primarily with Nick and Pablo, giving Jet lots of rest. I'd assume Nick and Jet will run together tonight, with Pablo getting some rest. The more reliable Nick is, the greater odds we have of being able to alternate Jet and Pablo playing big minutes and keeping them as fresh as we possibly can -- especially Jet.

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

His absence is gonna hurt. I think the 3-headed monster of JET, Pepperoni, and Nick the Dick(where'd this nickname come from, BTW?) can hold down the fort most of the time, but Bev for all his faults was playing better in recent weeks and had some timely 3's late in games.

As for his future with the ballclub, I hope the Rockets move on. Bev is not worth the kind of money he's gonna be seeking. He's not good enough to start on a contending ballclub(and you don't wanna pay too much for a backup). And we can't have such an unreliable player in a key position like PG when it comes to health. This is 2 straight seasons the guy has had a serious injury late in March just weeks before the playoffs.