1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pat Riley invented Seattle Illegal D against Akeem in 1986 WCF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Feb 9, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

When media says Embiid's low post game is more polished than Akeem, I don't think they remember. Do we just tend to think that, because he rose to such high, GOAT Center status? Akeem was unstoppable when not double-teamed. He polished that to become unstoppable no matter what you did.

This is just from one game (Game 3, 1986 WCF), but of course, on the biggest stage against the Magic/Kareem Defending champions...tied series. Wish I could d/l this game to slice up, but alas, you have to bare with me on using multiple vids with time-codes per play.

This game illustrates:
    • Not just a few great moves by Akeem
    • But also the commentary of the CBS crew praising Akeem.
    • But most interesting is I found how the Lakers where using Seattle's legendary illegal defense against Akeem in the 4th Q to try to stop him. He scored 23 in the 2nd half, and 13 in 4th Q,,,40 overall.
    • The point is not that he had it harder than Centers today (obviously, because this defense is legal now), but that the Lakers would go to such extreme measures to stop him -- risking technical fouls.
    --------------------------------------
    First half move illustrating why Riley had to go to triple teams and illegal defense in the 2nd half
    • "What a move that time by Olajuwon"
    • Continue watching for replay.
    • "Watch Olajuwon the poise to slide through the double team ... the triple team, really. Under total command."

---------------------------------------
    Now the 4th Q. Here's a string of illegal defenses. The first one is actually called on Magic in no-man's land prevent Sampson from spinning right. These are followed by Illegal Defense several plays in a row.
    • roughly 8:00 4Q
    • Illegal Defense Called -- Lakers first illegal defense of the game ... with replay

• The VERY SAME possession. Rockets go to Akeem, and
    • Magic is playing Seattle Defense -- although arguably OK, but clearly testing the Refs to call Illegal D twice on same possession

Same possession -- Akeem burns the Lakers regardless of that Seattle Defense

----------------------------------------
    • This is blatant Seattle Illegal Defense on Akeem --
    • Rockets swing it to other side, but find Akeem in the lane for a foul and two.
    Again, the point is not that he had it harder than Centers today (obviously, because this defense is legal now), but that the Lakers would go to such extreme measures to stop him -- risking a technical foul in such a huge tie game.

#1 heypartner, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    Williamson and napalm06 like this.
  2. heypartner

Hit video limit per post. Starting new one
    • And again with under 5 minutes
    • "What a Great Player" after rebound
    • Blatant Seattle illegal Defense on Akeem
    • "Magic is doubling off Robert Reid" -- how can that not be called?
    • Baseline turnaround ... didn't fall. He hit that at 50% over the course of series.
    [

#2 heypartner, Feb 9, 2017
    Williamson likes this.
  3. heypartner

Now, amidst Riley launching his surprise Seattle Illegal Defense strategy in the 4th Q, here are two crushing moves by Akeem in the 4th, in the heat of battle, in a tie game of a tie WCF series

Commentators
    • How do you stop that?
    • Heinsohn: I tell, ya. He's got those fakes now. He goes right. He goes left.
    • Keep watching as there's a BS Goaltending call on Akeem blocking Jabbar

-----------------------------------------------
    Next possesion
    "Akeem double...triple teamed." Almost gets it to fall, but a great look.​

And with under 2 minutes. In the Clutch, the move that separates Akeem from the rest with his speed against Jabbar and a double team.
    • "Uh...uh. What a g.r.e.a.t move, Dick."
    • Keeping watching after commercial timeout for the replay
    • "One of the most amazing moves we've seen of *any* player this year"
    • "I mean. Kareen was waiting on it. But whoops, right underneath Kareem."

And if you want to say, "Well, Jabbar was old." The very same possession prior to Akeem's move, the 7'2" Jabbar blocks the 7'4" Sampson. (Maybe goaltending.)

Oh, and @Tha_Dude says he loves you. And so does @tinman

#3 heypartner, Feb 9, 2017
    Williamson likes this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@heypartner
    @DaDakota

the knowledge dropped here by the legends of clutch fans will show other beings that humans can have superior intellect

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Epic post. Unfortunately, you're preaching to the choir here instead of the unbelievers. ;)

heypartner likes this.
  7. heypartner

Damn, I messed up the time-codes in the vids of my third post. The ones of Akeem's moves were pointing to the same play....fixed.

@jmwilliamson ... noticed after you liked the posts.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I remember after they lost that series, Riley commented that they knew Olajuwon was good, but didn't know he would be that good.

HP you are looking at Game 3. I wonder if they started realizing in that particular game that they were in trouble it they didn't come up with something that could stop Akeem.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Notice the attention to detail by the OP by using "AKEEM"
    This accuracy proves that his dedication to the truth of the Houston Rockets is relentless

10. what

what Member

Somebody said that embiid has more refined moves than Hakeem? Lol, they dont think the NBA is thier sport.