1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Pat Neshek traded to Philadelphia

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Nov 4, 2016.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

#1 J.R., Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  2. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

PTBNL will be a top 100 prospect in 2018. He's got huge upside.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm not sure why we did this, while not lock down good, he was indeed very good.

DudeWah likes this.
  4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

$$ to even up Aoki

raining threes likes this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Giles, Harris, Gregerson, Devo, and Feliz are 5 arms I would immediately prefer ahead of him on opening day next year. When you add in a situational lefty, possible garbage long man, and Sipp whose salary they aren't gonna simply eat yet, our bullpen is likely full. If Sipp was let go and we kept Neshek, we would essentially be paying 12.5 million, for one decent situational relief pitcher. We may not agree with the Astros frugal midset, but it's simply the reality of what they are right now. As long as our team payroll overall keeps climbing, I'm OK with it.

He's a situational righty, and an OK addition to a bullpen. But he isn't an impact player, he's 36 years old, and he's making 6.5 million dollars, I never though we were gonna keep him, so I'm actually surprised we got anything for him.

kaleidosky likes this.
  6. Progs

Progs Member

He suck during the 1st half, then turn it around after the all-star break. Could use an upgrade.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

$$$, and we also had a surplus in the bullpen (assuming we don't move Devenski or Feliz into the rotation). Really question why Philly would make this move, but makes sense for us. There are better ways to spend $6.5M.

8. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

He doesn't have a case to fill a spot over younger power arms like Devenski, Feliz

He prevents the Astros from carrying a much needed second lefty reliever.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Unlikely. That's not how it works.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I'm guessing that trading Nesek opens a bullpen spot for James Hoyt.

11. conquistador#11

I'm going to miss those bugs bunny pitches. solid vet

12. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros traded Neshek because they have a budget and don't want to pay him $6,500,000 next year. That money is being spent on Aoki.

13. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

I'm hoping its for a good lefty reliever.

14. Progs

Progs Member

Arnoldis Chapman.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

Aoki is small ball. So I would think we need to improve our pitching, not put it at risk. Personally, Devenski should be starting if u ask me. The pen is still above average so I don't really care much, but I see it as a dent.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

agree with seal. Yes, there's a budget, so they were working around it. I don't think it was strictly Aoki though. There is a surplus of young, quality arms that can go in the bullpen and replicate Neshek, so Neshek was wasted $ now that we've seen the young guys' work. Also, it'll ideally leave room for someone in the pen that can be shuttled to/from AAA when injuries happen.

17. vick

vick Member

With this owner its always about the money. Another example is after moving Tals hill the center field fence will be moved in. There will be a foodcourt of some kind being built.He will be like the marlins teams. Twice they won championships and when it came time to reward the players the team was torn apart and rebuilt from the ground up.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, how, after winning two World Series, is Crane tearing the team apart? Oh, that's right, they haven't and he isn't. Personally I hope the Astros will be like the Marlins and win a World Series or two.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Any speculation or rumors to who the PTBNL will be?

20. Buck Turgidson

Lenny Dyskstra.