1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pat Mahomes, the savior.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Last time we saw all QBs drop past the first 15 picks, EJ Manuel and Geno Smith were the 2 first taken.

houstonstime likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that's about the quality of this QB class too IMO.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

[​IMG]

samtaylor likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I doubt the saints take the guy in the first round. They have so many other massive needs, but if they do and he turns out to be the heir apparent to Breesy, I will hunt for rick smiths fingerprints and use them to burn down the superdome.

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

They have the last pick in the first round, too, don't forget. The pick they got for Cooks from the Patriots. They may be doing their due diligence with that pick.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

With the way this draft is fluctuating so early he may end up being the first QB taken.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  8. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Which is pretty easy to predict as most qb draft's suck. But you never give a solution. You and the Texans at great a kicking the can down the road. The only chance we have taken is brock and he sucked, but you have to take a chance. You never give a solution.

9. Mr. Motiejunas

I thought Bobby had already said to get Romo and Draft a QB in the mid rounds or am I mistaken? @Bobbythegreat

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya I highly doubt this is how the draft will actually shake out but with how much the league values QBs and with 3-4 teams in the Top 10 alone needing a QB, really makes you question the quality.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think this is necessarily true. I do think its possible to say this is a weak QB draft or this is a strong QB draft. Some of which might end up being wrong after the fact, but not usually.

For example, jury still out on 2016, 2015 picks #1 and #2 do appear to be solid franchise Qbs, 2014 was abit overrated at the top but did give you Bridgewater (average, but capable) and of course Carr, 2013 = BAD BAD QB draft, known beforehand, 2012 = Luck+... strong QB draft known beforehand, etc.

I think there are a lot of drafts that are in the middle QB wise. Not an obvious amazing QB stock, maybe a clear cut #1 guy, but otherwise who knows. But then there are years that definitely seem to be stronger and those that definitely seem to be weaker.

What's clear this year is that its definitely not one of those stronger QB drafts. It's borderline between a middle of the road maybe you select the right guy type draft and a weak one.

Also, not that it matters a ton because the Texans will be too good to be in position to pick a top top guy next year, but next year's draft seems, at the moment, to be a strong one. Darhnold, Rosen, Rudolph, Allen, Browning, and others.

I'm not an NFL scout or a QB scout. I can't tell you if Watson, Mahomes, Trubisky will be any good or if next year's QBs will be any good. If the Texans brass evaluate a QB this year and are blown away and he's available, then they should absolutely take him. But it certainly seems like next year's draft is the one to focus on QB.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm pretty sure that thought didn't originate from the great one

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, that's what I've said many times. Pick up Romo and draft someone to try and turn into a QB. I'm not necessarily against guys like Mahomes, I'm just pointing out that every QB in this class has serious red flags and is risky. It's why personally I'd rather the team find a solution at RT in the first round and draft a QB in a later round. No matter who is drafted, they shouldn't play at all this season.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

We're not good enough to draft a QB in the mid rounds. Mahomes is the answer LT; Romo ST.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We're not good enough to draft a first round QB as a project to maybe start one day when there are other more pressing needs, that's my point.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

But the needs you are pointing out (OL) can also be addressed in rounds other than the 1st.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wow the closer we get to the draft the better the comparisons get. Favre, Brady, Manning etc.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For a day one starter in a shallow draft class? I'm not that certain, but if the Texans are, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt I suppose. I just have my doubts that a project QB that may one day be good enough to play but certainly not good enough to play this upcoming season is really worth being the first round pick but so long as they don't screw up this season for that lottery ticket it won't be too bad.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There were people comparing Geno Smith to Matt Ryan before his draft and I think we all remember the Teddy Bridgwater comparisons to Aaron Rodgers and Joe Montana....

You just have to take QB comparisons with a grain of salt. No matter how terrible the draft class is you'll find people who fall in love with a draft crush and ridiculously overrate them.

Yaosthirdleg and raining threes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.