1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pat Mahomes, the savior.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

OU had an amazing offense but they were abysmal on defense last season, there is no going around that. And the SEC team they beat was a 5 loss Auburn squad playing their 2nd string QB.

But none of that is Mahomes fault and you play against who you play. But to the original post about footwork and playing against good defenses, he didn't have to do the latter much, if at all, last season. Something to be considered for sure in the evaluation process.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

That was my point in bringing it up. Anyone can work on footwork and taking snaps under center in Ts and shorts. I'm sure all the other QB prospects are doing the same thing. However, it's not the same as game experience under center facing elite defenses.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I understand your caution, but you can say that about any of the QB'S coming into the league.

raining threes likes this.
  4. raining threes

There will be guys that can start late in the 2nd.

Taylor Moton
    Rod Johnson
    Antonio Garcia
    Ethan Pocic

Are a few that have the tools to start. If Ricky has a guy he really like he should move up like he did with McKinney/Fuller.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh there's people that CAN start in the 7th....I was talking about people you'd WANT starting, and that's a first round kind of thing.

6. raining threes

Moton/Johnson are really good and would be massive upgrades over Clark. The guy I really like because he plays with a mean streak is Pocic. I wonder if he could play RT? He played all over the LSU OL during his career. Has great feet and is very physical.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You're talking about guys who will go in the 3-5th rounds for a reason. I get it, you don't think O line is something that should be taken seriously but a RT is by far the most important thing the Texans need in this upcoming draft.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Pocic will go mid second at the worst. But getting them in the 3-5 rounds would be absolute steals.

9. raining threes

I'm an OL 1st kinda guy, but they need to find a QB of the future. I want Jimmy G but agree with you that's not gonna happen. Mahomes is my favorite QB in this draft and there's no way I would pass on him.

You can build an OL in rds other than rd 1.

Look at the Pats/Packers/Atl

Pats Solder 1st/ Thuney 3rd/ Andrews UDFA/ Mason Cant remember late rd pick/Cannon late rd pick

Bahktiari 5th rd pick/Taylor late rd pick/Lindley Late rd pick/ Lang 2nd rd pick/Bulaga 1st rd pick.

Matthews 1st rd pick/Levitre 2nd rd pick signed off scrap heap from Titans/ Mack signed in FA, 1st rd pick/ Chester gotten off scrap heap Ravens 2nd rd pick/ Schroeder Late rd pick.

If these teams can build their OL's with scrap heap pickups/late rd picks then Ricky should be able to find a freakin RT in a rd outside of Rd 1.

But he probably will fail again. I mean this is the guy who thought Newton was a good RT.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  10. raining threes

Do you think he can play RT at a high level?

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He'd be a better RG I believe.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

There are far and away more right tackles in the league playing at a high level that were not drafted in the first round than there are quarterbacks.

A great quarterback is going to win you more games than a great offensive lineman.

I'm all for building the line first, as well, but if there's a quarterback you're sold on, go and get him.

Problem is, we may never know if there is a quarterback they're sold on, so basically, just take BPA. Whether that's a quarterback, right tackle, safety, running back, tight end, I don't care. As long as you get someone that will immediately contribute to the team.

Rick Smith has done a good job in the first round. Let's continue that. Let's also continue to hit on the middle rounds for depth as well.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree with btg on this. I wouldn't care if they went OL rounds 1-4 and road it out with Savage/Brock or a discounted Romo or Cutler.

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I want a QB too, and I think Mahomes is my favorite. But he is not top 10 worthy. I think all the teams that need QBs, will also have early 2nd round pics and look for them there. One of the top 4 should fall to us. If we had the 10th overall pick, no way in hell I'm getting Mahomes.

15. gucci888

Reminds me a lot of Geno Smith.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

Let's all be honest. We have no clue how these guys are going to pan out in the league. We like them, we think they'll be great. But we don't really know how they'll perform in the NFL not to talk of with the Texans. I'm prepping myself to like all the possible picks so I'm not too upset regardless of who they pick.

17. raining threes

Geno is dumb/lazy/cancer

Patrick is smart/driven/leader

I don't think you could come up with a worse comparison.

18. gucci888

Funny a lot of the analysis on Geno coming out was that he was confident, a leader, and willing to work. The analysis and outlook for these guys are very similar. Sure Geno ended up being a dumbass but that is not the sole reason why he busted.

#278 gucci888, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  19. raining threes

That must be why some draftniks had him rated as a 2nd rd pick.

I believe Mayock was one of them.

Some have Mahomes rated in the 2nd/3rd rd for different issues, issues that can be corrected.

20. gucci888

Don't want to derail the thread too much but Geno was widely considered the best QB prospect in his class. Him falling out of the first and EJ Manuel going ahead of him might have been the biggest story line of the draft. Ya maybe attitude was one of the reasons why he fell, but the system he came out of, footwork, and pocket awareness were the biggest concerns with him, very similar to what we're hearing about Mahomes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.