1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Past 50 Years; Democrats Private Jobs Added: 42 million; Republicans: 24 million

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RedRedemption, May 8, 2012.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...rease-more-with-democrats-in-white-house.html

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2009/01/09/bush-on-jobs-the-worst-track-record-on-record/

But tax cuts for the rich creates jobs because trickle down/supply side/voodoo economic theory has worked so well the two times we were subjected to it...:rolleyes:

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

who controlled congress

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Who gives a ****? You certainly don't.

5. Hightop

Hightop Member

None of them created any private jobs.

6. RedRedemption

This entire article is about PRIVATE JOBS.
    The statistics are about PRIVATE JOBS.

7. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

Presidents don't create private sector jobs.

The private sector does.

Once people understand this, they'll be able to place the blame on the right parties.

8. RedRedemption

Obviously they don't directly create it, but economic policies can influence the growth of the private sector. You can't tell me the president can't directly effect the economic conditions in the country.

9. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

You're right, I can't. But that doesn't mean that they create jobs. Their policies may move jobs from one state to another; or from one sector to another; or even one country to another... But they don't create them.

The only thing that creates jobs is an imbalance in products/services demanded and the workforce's capacity to supply them. Jobs are a result of a healthy economy. A healthy economy is a result of products/services that are in high demand. Products/services that are in high demand are a result of an EDUCATED AND EFFICIENT WORKFORCE.

So actually, I think I’ll backtrack a little on that. A president could create jobs with sweeping educational reform. However, the results wouldn’t show until decades after his/her administration.

1 person likes this.
  10. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    And that was a hell of a 300th post, if I say so myself...

11. Classic

Classic Member

This is true. I will credit Clinton with my current perspective on BJs. Even after all these years. :cool:

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

I'm not saying that I don't agree with this. I just think it is a poor way to judge everything. As mentioned above the president has little to do with the private sector job market. Additionally the results from any policy the president pushed may not be seen until after their term.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Presidents don't create private sector jobs. But they play a part on whether private sector jobs are created in the US or elsewhere. The private sector will always create jobs where wages are lowest compared to revenue generated. And that's been moving away from the US for quite a while now.

I will say that what a president do probably doesn't affect the job market during his term. IMO, a lot of what allows America to have high paying jobs is a better education system that allows us to have the most skilled laborers. But education is a long term plan where you don't see fruition until much later.

14. Nook

Nook Member

There are so many factors that go into job creation that the numbers are interesting but I suspect mean very little.

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

This is why our system is obsolete. Both sides can often blame the other.

For years many government haters, conservatives and libertarian types have claimed to have wanted "divided" government.

We would be like Europe with another current recession if we had followed the austerity approach.

Kudos to Bernanke and Obama, though it would have been better if we could have had a bigger stimulus. Our growth would be more robust?

How long can the ideological rigidity of the conservative/libertarians discount acutal historical reality?

16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I think you are sincere. However, you are wrong. Do you believe that your ideology allows you to create your own facts?

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Incorrect the President can create jobs with a stroke of his open.

I see it daily.

I help operate these programs in my state and without the tax credits and without the SSBCI grant funds thousands of jobs would not be created. The subsidy in SSBCI for example is subordinate to bank debt. Thus banks are more willing to lend because they take a senior position on collateral to our funds. Without our collateral support the bank would not be able to get the coverage requirements it needs to lend and projects and businesses would not get financed.