1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PANTS] Cords and belt rotation mystery

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by B-Bob, Mar 7, 2008.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I have purchased corduroy pants from J. Crew. I love them, they fit, and I wear them a lot, as a shabby academic.

However, they have created a puzzling mystery. At the end of the day, I often notice that my belt has rotated around my waist by about 90 degrees (sometimes more!). Is is always such that the belt buckle moves to my left side. (Looking down toward my feet, it is a counter-clockwise belt motion.) This does not happen with other pants, and when I wear the cords, it happens to all different types of belts.

Q1: Has anyone else experienced this?
    Q2: What mechanism could cause this?
    Q3: Why would it only happen in one direction?
    Q4: If you see someone with a belt buckle on their hip (or even further around), do you think of that person as a dork?

My best guess on Q2 is that the cords have a "knap" or an asymmetric fabric texture, leading to a stick-slip belt motion. It slides easily in one direction, but then encounters fabric resistance when it tries to move the other direction. Other possibilities are more horrifying. What if I twist more to the left than the right. What does that mean? Am I experiencing an Exorcist like motion, where I can twist in one direction without equal and opposite twisting in the other? Also, is the Coriolis Effect at work?

Even if this thread sets a record for fewest replies and fewest views, I am happy to have posted a wholesome thread that can help clean up this forum a bit.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Regarding Q4.....if I saw someone like that, and they proceeded to theorize as you did in the following paragraph...then..um...how to put this delicately....I think the dorkiness would be pretty much confirmed.

Just use a twist tie to fasten your belt buckle to your fly and you'll be JCrew Hip all day long.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

It's not so much the belt, it's seeing someone over 10 years old wearing corduroy pants that causes the "dork" thought. When I was 5 I had an awesome pair of Osh Kosh cords. I was a complete badass.

Now, not so much. I do wear and undershirt though. I still have a little bit of rebel in me.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

5. B-Bob

Well, fine, but at least I do not own a polo shirt. Not one.

I think my belt buckle rotation could catch on, kind of like my favorite band with their unique take on pants.

[​IMG]

PS -- I note that the excellent company Suzuki approves of this thread topic. "Susuki 7000, with the all new belt straightener as a standard feature."

6. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

No way. This thread is incredible. Trying to figure out belt movement in engineering terms? This is awesome. You, sir, are a winner.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What kind of uber-dork starts a thread on a basketball bbs asking for opinions on such an inane topic as clothing preferences?

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

bored people?

9. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

for the record, i'm wearing cords right now.

10. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Its the corealis effect.

CometsWin likes this.
  11. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

So then should B-Bob spend a week in the southern hemisphere, would his pants rotate clockwise, or would they cease to rotate at all? :eek: :eek:

12. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Only until they rotate to where they should be. Then he should staple the belt to his hip bone.

13. B-Bob

This is the kind of help I've been waiting for. So thanks, FT and meggo.

I need to put the cords on, fly to South America, wait for the cords to rotate clockwise, and then use a staple gun to fix the belt... not just fix the belt to my pants but to my skeletal infrastructure. I like the added security, making sure it never rotates again and I never have to start this particular type of thread again.

14. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

You gotta sag them corduroy's son

Lose that belt and step up yo game playa

15. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

I notice a similar effect with certain sneakers. Over the course of the day, and this only ever happens with a right sneaker -- the tongue gradually moves down toward the outside of my foot (so the laces are sitting somewhat uncomfortably on the top of my foot with no tongue-cushioning,... and there's an extra lumpiness on the side of my foot). It happens regardless of how tightly I tie the laces or whether I utilize the little lace-tunnel that they sometimes put on the tongue. I've tried many different brands of sneakers and it seems to happen on all of them.

Up until now, I've concluded that there's something strange about my right foot relative to the left. This discussion prompts a few questions though. If I were on the Southern hemisphere, would the tongue on the left shoe move? If so, which direction would it move? Or would the one on the right shoe move in the opposite direction (toward the inside of my foot). :confused:

Thank you B-Bob for the thought-provoking quandry.

16. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Sorry, but B-Bob's problem makes sense. You, sir, on the other hand, are a freak. I'd see a doctor ASAP if I were you.

:(

17. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

It's like being the club-footed Lord Byron but without the poetry, incest, bisexuality, or poor money management.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i was flipping channels last night during halftime and came across turistas. yikes.

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

When you walk, you are probably swinging your right arm MORE than your left, and in turn are moving your belt buckle in that direction. Else, you're just being a pansy. :eek:

20. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

kpsta, one of two things will happen:
    1) the tongue on your right foot will correct itself
    2) option 1 AND the tongue on your left foot will begin to turn as well.

I believe these options are directly related to time spent in the other hemisphere. Therefore, you should stay there no longer than 72 hours, else wise you will be increasing the probability of #2 occurring.