1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Palmer to Join Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jeff, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Palmer to join Texans as offensive coordinator
    By JOHN McCLAIN
    Copyright 2001 Houston Chronicle

HONOLULU -- Former Cleveland Browns coach Chris Palmer, one of the most sought-after assistant coaches in the NFL, has agreed to a contract to become offensive coordinator of the Houston Texans.

Palmer is scheduled to come to Houston on Friday and, barring unforeseen complications, will sign the contract and start working immediately with general manager Charley Casserly and coach Dom Capers.

"I've committed to the Texans, and I'm looking forward to this opportunity," Palmer said late Wednesday from his home in Cleveland. "I've known Charley and Dom for years, and I'm very excited about working with them and doing anything I can to help the organization."

Palmer, who began his NFL career as the Oilers' receivers coach for three years (1990-92) under Jack Pardee, turned down offers from Chicago and Cincinnati since being fired after two seasons as the Browns' first coach. He also interviewed with Tampa Bay, which elevated quarterbacks coach Clyde Christensen to offensive coordinator.

If Palmer had not agreed to the Texans' offer, he would have been the leading candidate to become offensive coordinator at Buffalo if Titans defensive coordinator Gregg Williams gets the Bills' head coaching job, as some NFL sources were predicting Wednesday night.

Williams, who also interviewed for the Cleveland job that went to Butch Davis, has had Palmer and Titans secondary coach Jerry Gray at the top of his list to become his coordinators if he's hired as a head coach.

"I haven't spoken with anyone since Tampa Bay, and it wouldn't have mattered, anyway, because I gave my word to Charley and Dom," Palmer said. "When I was the head coach at Cleveland, I met (Texans owner) Bob McNair. I was so impressed with him.

"I've followed the Texans' progress closely. I like everything about the approach Mr. McNair's taken in starting his franchise from the ground floor. I'm happy I'm going to be a part of it."

Palmer's hiring in Houston had been the subject of speculation for almost two weeks. As soon as Capers was hired, he and Casserly began to pursue Palmer, who was in high demand as a coordinator but was in no hurry to accept an offer because he was fired with three years left on his contract with the Browns.

When Casserly and Capers called, Palmer was immediately interested for a variety of reasons, including another chance to work with a quarterback selected with the top pick in the draft and the added luxury of returning to one of his favorite cities.

"My family's always loved Houston," Palmer said. "We spent three great years in Houston, and we've still got a lot of friends there. Donna and I can't wait to get back there. We've heard how much Houston's changed since we were there the last time (1993). We're eager to see how much the city's changed."

Palmer has a proven track record for his work with young quarterbacks. His former quarterbacks include Doug Flutie (New Jersey of the USFL), Drew Bledsoe (New England), Mark Brunell (Jacksonville), Rob Johnson (Jacksonville) and Tim Couch (Cleveland).

Bledsoe and Couch were the top picks in the draft. The Texans have the first pick in the 2002 draft.

Jaguars receiver Jimmy Smith, who is playing for the AFC in Sunday's Pro Bowl, worked with Palmer for two years (1997-98) in Jacksonville.

"Chris is an excellent coordinator," Smith said Wednesday. "When he was our coordinator those two years, our offense was almost unstoppable.

"It's unfortunate that he was put in that predicament in Cleveland. He lost his (starting) quarterback and running back. It's tough to win when you lose players like that.

"I think it was a real premature decision by Cleveland, but the good thing is that the Houston Texans are getting a great coach and a quality person."

Smith also knows Capers from his last two seasons as the Jaguars' defensive coordinator.

"Dom and Chris are going to be quite a team," Smith said. "When they get some athletes in Houston, they're going to win some games.

"A couple of things that really impressed me about Chris is that he's a great teacher who believes in sound fundamentals. The players really liked and respected him.

"Chris accepts nothing less than 110 percent from his players. He's very detailed. Things have to be done precisely for his offense to work."

In his three seasons with the Oilers, Palmer coached four Pro Bowl receivers -- Drew Hill, Haywood Jeffires, Ernest Givins and Curtis Duncan. Palmer left after the 1992 season to accept Bill Parcells' offer to become New England's receivers coach. He was promoted to quarterbacks coach and called plays when the Patriots went to the Super Bowl after the 1996 season.

When Parcells left the Patriots for the Jets, he wanted to take Palmer with him, but Palmer accepted Tom Coughlin's offer to become Jacksonville's offensive coordinator.

"Getting Chris Palmer's good for Houston," said Baltimore free safety Rod Woodson, another member of the AFC team at the Pro Bowl. "He had a great system in Jacksonville. They scored a lot of points and won a lot of games.

"One thing that really impressed me when he was the coordinator was the way they did so many things in the running game and passing game. They were so hard to stop. I think this is a great move for Houston."

------------------
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

2. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

He was doing some good thigs with the Browns, if he didn't have to rely on Doug Pederson and Spurgeon Wynn at QB, the Browns wouldn't have stunk down the stretch.

I think this is a good move.

------------------
    The Rockets will be the NBA champions. Believe.

3. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

WOW.........I`m very impressed with the way the Texans are handling business. I am ready for some football!!! [​IMG]

------------------

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I agree. The Texans are putting together a great staff. Bringing in Chris Palmer makes me feel a lot better about the hiring of Dom Capers as head coach.

------------------

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Great news. I was a little not sure about Dom Capers but this move getting Chris Palmer is a very good one. I like how the texans are doing this, they go after the right people.

------------------
    "Break off the block like Maurice Green" --- Steve Francis

President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Can it actually be? A Houston sports franchise (particularly a football organization here) that seems to make the right move at every turn??? Huh???

------------------

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

ignore this post, stupid question was asked and answered by self upon pressing "Submit Now" button

------------------
    "No Brain Grant, no trade." -- Typos are a b**** as ZRB is holding Rocket trades hostage while he seeks a brain. Conspiracy theorists say this would explain why Hakeem has yet to be traded...

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited February 01, 2001).]

8. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

LOL at first I thought he ment the post by MadMax then I read that his was edited.

------------------
    Charles Barkley on TBS on the "fat track" poll: "What? 47% said I'd gain more.....why those.....they better be glad this is a family show."