1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pallilo back soon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CometsWin, May 10, 2017.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I never caught any smug. Must have missed those shows.

As for him being from somewhere else... I couldn't care less. Most of the annoying sports fans I encounter in real life are from Houston, went to UH, and now live in Houston. I hear their perspective all the time. I'm ok with a different perspective on one sports radio show, especially if that perspective if usually backed by logic and void of hot takes.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Just to be clear you've never heard Charlie be smug?

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Let me rephrase that as "I've never found his smugness to be so overbearing that it negates his positive qualities - especially relative to the other sports talk in Houston." My effort in the first half of that post mirrors the effort in the first half by the Rockets.

Buck Turgidson and Torn n Frayed like this.
  4. the shark

the shark Member

LIGHTEN UP FRANCIS!!!

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pallilo has lived and worked in Houston for almost 30 years.... that's more than enough time to not only have the city (but its teams) grow on you.

By comparison, the "locals" like Wex and Clanton were in grade school when Charlie was doing post-game Rockets call-in shows.

Ginger wasn't even alive yet.

Of course he's going to be critical at times. None of these teams are perfect... and outside of 2 Rockets championship seasons, they've all come up woefully short over those 30+ years. Oh, btw, its his job to analyze and point out what's wrong when things are going poorly.

moligity and FTW Rockets FTW like this.
  6. conquistador#11

charlie P also is a believer that the rockets only won the ultimate prize because Jordan "retired" but I don't care about his opinions. I just like he talks baseball!! and calls out reed's fatness! and the fans that don't show up to minute maid. It's gold.

7. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Glad to hear the Charlie will back soon. I stoppe listening to sports radio the morning that Charlie was let go. There was no way I would listen to 790 after they employed that racist blowhard Josh Innes.

I'm looking forward to hearing some good baseball talk from CP.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The "I **** on local teams because I keep it real" schtick is old and played out. You can be a homer from time to time, you can be objective. Charlie is all about negative energy and I don't got time for that in my life.

Other turnoffs for me:
    -I don't like baseball, so he may know what he is talking about in that regard, I just don't care
    -Caller driven shows are totally unlistenable for me
    -Generally out of touch with modern times (to be fair, this is a problem with pretty much every sports radio guy)

9. Roscoe Arbuckle

Correct. He's been here long enough. He continually sh*ts on the 94-95 Rockets team due to Jordan, who, BTW, was the 2nd highest scorer in the 95 playoffs to... Olajuwon.

I'm tired of his ass "keeping it real." Clanton is a Homer and I feel he's the best on the radio these days.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The fact that the bolded part is actually considered an insult is exactly why I stopped listening to sports talk radio in Houston when Charlie was fired.

Can't wait until he comes back. Even if you disagree with his sports takes, at least he's giving his sports takes and not just talking about boobs and farts all day long.

11. jae713

jae713 Member

Clanton can be down right unbearable some days. At least Charlie is logical, a realist, and doesn't drink the teams kool aid. He doesn't get too high or too low, he is a constant.

He is not everyone's cup of tea, specially if you want to be entertained with random discussions that don't involve sports (aka Joel Blanc Show).

12. conquistador#11

Never liked Clanton doing a show. He's at his best just doing impressions of bill walton. Otherwise he is the guy that ignores the astros but as soon as they're winning wants to take selfies with his stros gear. In da barrio we call them essays, Transformers. One day he is a crip. next week he's "la familia".

Kam likes this.
  13. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Yeah, I was a huge fan when they were a noon show a few years ago, then they moved up to the prime slot and got really irritating.

14. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

I agree with your take on Charlie. People give him too much of a pass the way he ***** on our teams. He isn't being real or unbiased he enjoys the life he has here that's why he stays here. He dislikes our teams not sure if he hates them, but he enjoys building them up to knock them down. I completely disagree with you on Adam Clanton. Adam is the worst thing on 790 as much as i dislike Josh Innes Clanton is worse.

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

For a guy who's lived here for 30 years... goes to as many local team games as he can (far more than any other local radio hosts who don't get paid by the team to be there), visibly shows emotion during game (good or bad) in response to what the local team is doing, and at the end of the day, does give credit when credit is due (especially when the Rockets are concerned)... he sure has a funny way of being a "hater".

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Charlie is a hater in that he gets REALLY critical when they do stupid stuff. So if that's a hater, then he's a hater.

He was so pumped for the Rockets when they got Ty Lawson and really thought they were a title contender. When the pooped their pants he was hard on them. Same for all of the other teams.

17. updawg

updawg Member

Great news. I'll listen remotely in Austin. He's the only good host in either of these cities.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He thinks Duncan is better than Hakeem and that the Rockets championships should be asterisked.

I mean if you hold those 2 opinions I generally think you're a moron ******* but I love Charlie. He's a fan of Houston sports teams. Even if he's hard on them you can tell he enjoys the successes that they achieve, even if they are few and far between. I'd argue that he'd be great with a solid co anchor and I could do without so many callers, but his takes are worth listening to and he talks plenty of baseball. Love that.

I wish Seth and Mike had a different time slot that I could listen to. They're by far the best since Charlie has been away.

19. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

His take is; sustained excellence and # of rings wins out over dream; when pressed he would admit at their peaks hands down Dream would win. I liked him when he had LZ on for that short time...

20. Nero

Nero Member

Don't care where he winds up, I won't be listening to him. He is arrogant, condescending, interrupts callers, and is relentlessly negative about the Houston teams. Plus, his shtick gets old since he repeats exactly the same routine every single day.