1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Shai vs. Luka as the Mavericks try to even the series in OKC. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Palestinian terror org. tries to use mentally handicapped kid as suicide bomber

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Mar 24, 2004.

1. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Go see "City of God" sometime if you need your fill of kids with guns.

Awesome flick, but shocking.

2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

False: We do not draft at 16.

You do not even get a selective service card until 18.

From selective service website:

A draft held today would use a lottery to determine the order of call.
    Before the lottery was implemented in the latter part of the Vietnam conflict, Local Boards called men classified 1-A, 18 1/2 through 25 years old, oldest first. This resulted in uncertainty for the potential draftees during the entire time they were within the draft-eligible age group. A draft held today would use a lottery system under which a man would spend only one year in first priority for the draft - either the calendar year he turned 20 or the year his deferment ended. Each year after that, he would be placed in a succeedingly lower priority group and his liability for the draft would lessen accordingly. In this way, he would be spared the uncertainty of waiting until his 26th birthday to be certain he would not be drafted.

3. Supermac34

More: You can't even register if you are under 18 to be drafted:

Almost all male U.S. citizens, and male aliens living in the U.S., who are 18 through 25, are required to register with Selective Service. It's important to know that even though he is registered, a man will not automatically be inducted into the military. In a crisis requiring a draft, men would be called in sequence determined by random lottery number and year of birth. Then, they would be examined for mental, physical and moral fitness by the military before being deferred or exempted from military service or inducted into the Armed Forces.

http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm

4. Supermac34

You have to be 17 to join the Army, but after training and placement, you would be 18 when you finally see duty:

Serve in Active Duty as an Enlisted Soldier and you begin at Basic Training with the rank of Private. Or serve full-time as a commissioned Officer.

To enlist as an Active-Duty Soldier in the U.S. Army you must be:

• Between the ages of 17 and 34
    • A U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident Alien
    • Healthy and in good physical condition
    • In good moral standing

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I actually have no problem with kids having guns. My best friend got his first gun when he was maybe 10. I do have a problem with sending your kid out to blow himself up, and even more so if it will kill hundreds of innocent people in the process.

6. Zion

Zion Member

The Other side of the story. I don't have a link, found it on another forum so i don't know the source.

7. nyrocket

nyrocket Member

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Other side of the story? That does not sound credible to me. Are those the same guys who said that all jews were told not to show up for work on 9/11?

9. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

I didn't think the Henry and June movie was all that sexy. If you want to read depraved, read Gravity's Rainbow, winner of the National Book Award. I thought I was pretty open minded having read Heinlen's free love tracts disguised as sci fi, but I was a bit shocked by the acts of depravity in this book. Then another one came up, then another one topped that one...