1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[pain/injury advice] shin splints...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CaptainRox, Dec 1, 2012.

1. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Hello my fellow clutch fan brethren. Just seeing how many of you have had shin splints before. For those of you do I'd appreciate advice. And for those of you who are knowledgeable without ever having it, info is also appreciated. So there are things that are certain I know.

My shin splints were caused by over pronation (aka flat feet)
    Just seeing what you guys would recommend besides the common remedies of ice, rest and better shoes/ insoles (already got those)

-What's killing me is how long they're taking to heal (had them since 1st of October)
    -Also worried it could be a more serious problem like a stress fracture
    -Any extra input on remedies and home treatment is appreciated

2. lean

lean Member

I've dealt with shin splints a lot in the past from running track and also basketball. The best way to get them to heal in my experience is to just rest. I know it can be tough to not run or anything for a few days to a couple weeks but if I get them real bad this is usually is the only solution for me. Continuing to play through shin splints just makes it worse and worse. If it's a stress fracture or something the only way you're gonna know for sure is to go see a doctor. Take a week off and see how they feel.

3. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

There really isn't anything else you can do, that I know of.

Make sure you stretch well before you run. Roll your feet around in circles.

The best thing I've found are rest and better shoes.

4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Do you also massage your shins while you ice them? Have you tried running on the balls of your feet? That style (pose method) is supposed to be more efficient.

5. ptR91

ptR91 Member

if you had them since oct. 1, thats 2 months, maybe you should go see a doctor

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

did you over prontate as a kid?

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Literally the worst.

Rest is truly the only way to get them to heal up. Someday's it will feel terrible, and some days it will feel manageable, but rest is the only surefire way to get it to go away.

8. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

I appreciate everyone's input. Doing research online recovery times can range from weeks to months. For those of you who've had shin splints, how long until the legs feel good again?

9. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Compression socks promote better circulation and promote faster healing. Give those a try.

10. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Got zensah compression sleeves and wear em only when active. They do their job for sure

11. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chinese foot massage Bellaire $ 25.00 + tip

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

This is good advice, especially considering you are afraid you might have a stress fracture.

I had shin splints once upon a time. Playing basketball or softball caused pain, but they eventually healed without me having to stop those activities. The cause of them was most likely going for my runs on concrete (e.g. streets and sidewalks).

14. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

I usually advise going to see a doc but not for just shin splints. Nothing we can do about that, so unless you've got awesome insurance and it wont cost you anything or you're worried it may be something else just rest and compress.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If you know for a fact that they are shin splints, I suspect that is a reasonable thing, however, unless you know for sure (as the OP wrote - it may be a stress fracture) a doctor's diagnosis is usually preferable to self (or BBS) diagnosis.

16. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I had them back in early college when I played ball.

What worked for me at home:

1 hour of ice
    1 hour of the heating pad
    +Repeat this all night until you go to sleep.

Also, while not completely safe, I would sleep with a heating pad on the shin that was the worst. I'm pretty sure that heat is not suggested, but it worked wonders for me.

The cold weather would make things worse, so I kept my house warm.

And, when I blew out my ACL, the pain meds took away all the pain. :):)

17. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Can't do anything about it, ice after you're done running. That's about it.

18. Garner

Garner Member

Shin splints are a huge pain and unfortunately, there isn't a ton you can do for them beyond rest/ice.

If you got splints from running, you need to be sure to get off the treadmill and pavement. Both are far very harsh anyway, much less for someone dealing with flat feet and shin splints. Time to run among the trees and find some trails.

Also, I suggest you go to an actual running store (such as Fleet Feet) and get a pair of shoes for your flat feet. Its not going to solve your problem, but it can make a monumental difference.

19. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I don't believe shin splints are caused by muscular tears; I believe they're caused by tears in the tendons connecting the muscles in that part of the leg. With that in mind, it would be better to treat them with heat. Tendons and ligaments take longer to heal than muscles because they don't have any direct blood flow. Applying heat expands the capilaries that feed the tendons and allow blood flow to reach the areas that are in need of repair. Ice is usually reserved for situations with swelling. It may be worthwhile to apply ice to reduce swelling and then heat to allow for healing.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

??

You've got to solve the problem and not just cover it up. The first step is determining why you are over pronating, assuming that's causing the problem you have. A lot of people think the're stuck with flat feet and that's not true.