1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paging All Cyclists and Bike Experts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by clutch citizen, May 26, 2019.

1. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I’m looking for a bike to go mostly around the neighborhood and surrounding areas. Concrete maybe a little suburban terrain. But I’m. It so sure where to start. All I know so far is to get a hybrid bike. But where’s the best place and best deals? Looking now since it’s Memorial Day weekend. Trying to stick to a $400 or less budget. Is this any good? Please help! Thanks!

https://www.rei.com/product/121596/co-op-cycles-cty-11-bike

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

TexasTofu and clutch citizen like this.
  3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I always wanted a “nice” bike, and at my age, a hardtail mountain bike seemed like the best choice for neighborhood riding and LIGHT trail use. But bikes with nice components are expensive. I took a leap of faith and ordered a bike off of bikes direct. It’s certainly not perfect, but I probably got twice the bike (for the money) than I would have at a bike store. Their website sucks, and some assembly is required, but the savings was substantial. I actually put it together (to make sure all the parts were held together) and then took it to bike barn for them to make sure everything was tightened properly. Anyhoo....so far, I’m really happy with it.

clutch citizen likes this.
  4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

buy a bike on facebook or craigslist. Don't buy it new. There are plenty of people who think they will actually ride their fancy bike that never do.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

If you purchase blood thinners, you won't need to but a premium bike. They work.

6. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

First thing i would recommend is to go into a bike shop and get sized. Down in the RGV, we have a shop that will size us to Specialized bikes. Based on that sizing, they can give you a breakdown of Specialized bikes...road, mountain, and hybrid. Then you can use that to shop around. I'd definitely check craigslist and Facebook market first. I got a 2018 Specialized Roubaix Sport for $1200 from a reputable bike rental place in Napa Valley of off Ebay. They were clearing out their 2018 models for a new 2019 inventory.
    My first "good" bike was a Specialized Allez that i got for $400 on craigslist.

Good luck. Don't let the bike shop pressure you into financing a brand new bike when they measure you unless you really want to walk out with a brand new bike.

TexasTofu and clutch citizen like this.
  7. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

you could probally do cheaper online, but def go there and talk to them about what your looking for, good peeps fo sho.

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

was in a similar situation last year, thought we'd end up with hybrids but were convinced to go with gravel bikes as a bit more practical for the kind of stuff OP is describing. Although I'd probably get a wider more aggressive set of tires for rocky dirt roads.

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Cyclists are the worst humans. Lock this thread and ban the author of it.

Sajan and cheke64 like this.
  10. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Here's an inexpensive hybrid from Costco.
    The Infinity "Boss Three" Hybrid and Comfort Bicycle.
    Only $199

Although I'm sure the bycicle purists around here may not like it.
    I think it would be adequate for riding around the neighborhood and you wouldn't be committing a lot financially 'til you're sure you will actually ride it a lot.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I'll merge the good advice already give: buy from a local bike shop where you can get properly fitted (and support local businesses), and buy used... go to a local bike shop and ask if they know of any used bikes that their customers may be selling. The bike shop may even be selling a bike on consignment. Many people start off with a decent starter bike and immediately upgrade and so you can get a great deal on a relatively new and unused bike. You could find a decent Trek, Specialized, or Giant bike that will be better built than any off-name bike.

Hybrids are decent bikes (back in the day, I had a friend who had a newsletter on what were called "Cross bikes"), but I'd still favor a decent mountain bike with a tire with relatively little tread. You may decide to ride rougher roads or off-road and you will be much safer and more comfortable on a MTB.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I ride a GT with 3" tubeless MTB everywhere inside the loop. Best bike I've ever owned for city use.

This is what she looks like

[​IMG]

Exiled and clutch citizen like this.
  13. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Thanks for the advice! Definitely don't wanna commit too much money to one, but I do want to make sure I'm getting a decent bike. I'm for sure going to a local shop to make sure I get fitted. I was not prepared for all the options in choosing a bike.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Nice! Almost got a Zaskar years ago. Went instead with a Klein, then blew out my back so went with a couple of Cannondale FS bikes. GT's are solid and love the trademark frame design in the rear

Also like your WTB saddle, I am wimpy so use Terry saddles on all my bikes.

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Go See Ken

No really.

16. Exiled

Exiled Member

a light frame bike less than 15~ish pounds is the only thing you can't compromise, everything else can be upgraded when needed
    &
    Padded short

17. rockbox

15 pounds? That's going to run about 6-8 grand. A good weight for a road bike is under 20 pounds, hybrid at 25 pounds, and mountain bike under 28 pounds.

I've been into gravel bikes lately. Road bike position, speed, and flexibility, but with bigger tires to soak up the bumps.

Falcons Talon likes this.
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So Cyclecross bikes.

19. rockbox

More relaxed angles than a cyclocross bike. More like a cyclocross bike with touring bike geometry if that makes sense.

Edit: I forgot to mention wider tires on a gravel bike.

#19 rockbox, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  20. Exiled

Exiled Member

around 1500-2000$ when on sale
    I use a cheap mountain e-bike 26" , 20miles effortlessly on weekend ,I do commute to work with the road bike ~8 miles in a bike friendly town with very steep terrains of Rocky mountains while summer last, not sure I would have been eager to do that if I was in Houston though