1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PA 18 now a toss up

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 27, 2018.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Republican platform overall is very unpopular, and yet they stick to it, they are running themselves out. They have had enough time - trickle down fails every time, yet that is all they have, that and Uncle Bubba and the good book folks - which are getting marginalized more every day.

There is zero irony - personally, I am still fiscally conservative, but am way left socially.

I am so fiscally conservative that I want to cut the military in half.....like yesterday.

DD

juicystream and Hakeemtheking like this.
  2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Hi Alanis

TheresTheDagger and Nook like this.
  3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A couple more thoughts:

1) A big part of how Trump won is that Hillary Clinton is also unpopular. Neither Clinton nor Trump is on the ballot in 2018, but Trump being the President keeps his unpopularity substantially more relevant to voters (especially those who hate him) than Hillary's unpopularity. You can run all the ads you want trying to link Clinton (or Pelosi, for that matter-- and Saccone did exactly this) trying to tie the Democratic candidate for whatever office that you want, but she just isn't gonna gin up the hater votes like the President of the United States is. She just ain't got that profile.

2) The left (Bernie??) wing of the Democratic party is reported to be very energized. There have been some fights between them and the "establishment wing" and there will no doubt be more for the 2020 nomination. However, so far it seems that the more left-leaning activists have been rather forgiving in terms of voting for candidates like Lamb and Doug Jones (and I think Northam, too) who have taken some centrist positions.

#43 Carl Herrera, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Amiga, amaru, CometsWin and 1 other person like this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A really excellent post, Carl. Mr. trump is like a big lead weight hanging from the necks of every Republican congressman running for office this year. He's dragging them down, but he's far from the only thing, just the worst. The GOP Congress has been so incredibly partisan and so sucked into the trump vortex of insanity that they are tarred and feathered by the guy and going down. The wave is coming. Wait and see. We're going to get a good majority in the House and they will impeach Mr. trump's sorry ass.

You know what would really make my day? Nancy Pelosi either stepping down from her position, retiring, or getting tossed from the speaker's gig, sliding down the halls of the Capitol on her keester.

CometsWin and Hakeemtheking like this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think the Bernie bros have come to realize that while they do not like moderate liberals that much, they are FAR better than Trump and what he offers. Yeah, there will be fights, but I think Trump has helped them realize that at least had Clinton won they may not have gotten everything they wanted, but they would have got some things. With Trump and more far right candidates they get nothing at all.

Hopefully, in 2020 there won't be so many protest voters and voters on the left shrugging and going "It doesn't matter anyways."

CometsWin and JeffB like this.
  6. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Even worse getting nothing at all, they get active rollbacks of whatever progress their movement had made up to the election.

7. Buck Turgidson

Yet that's exactly how our current President just got elected.

Nook likes this.
  8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

So Fox and Friends and then Trump are now saying that Lamb was a Republican running as a Democrat.

#48 No Worries, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Deckard likes this.
  9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Exact opposite actually. Sweeping changes in direction of conservatism and you completely discount the trash opponent factor so you lose.

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Why are democrats so hard headed and dumb. The guy won't touch guns and he won. Refusing to acknowledge that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You obviously aren't a Chapo listener. If a candidate ain't about legalizing weed, universal healthcare and free college they aren't winning ****.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Does context never enter your arguments?

Serious question.

PA18 is one of the most consistently Red distrcits in the nation. And even with that in mind, the Democrat won even with explictly stating that he will vote ppl pro-choice as a legistlator.

Poltical you, the vast majoirty of Americans agree with the very soft and basic proposals that Democrats desire such as a federal age restriction on rifles, universal background checks regardless if it is a private sale or not, tax on ammunition, and limitations on 30+ round magazines.

You are naive if you think Democrats can't win most distrcits with these policy desires .

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Me too. I live in a military town, so military support dominates our Congressional elections, so it doesn't matter how much I recognize military spending is out of hand.