1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Owners proposing to add 3rd round in NBA Draft?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by astros99, Sep 7, 2011.

1. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Seriously? There's only 15 roster spots, and most late 2nd rounders end up with scarce playing time as it is. I'm all for more college kids going pro, but seems like a 3rd round would be irrelevant.

Thoughts?

http://sheridanhoops.com/2011/09/07/exclusive-nba-wants-3rd-round-in-draft/

Lock if already posted

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I guess the thinking is that a rookie sitting at the end of the bench making the minimum costs less than a veteran sitting at the end of the bench making the minimum.

3. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

This could allow teams to tie up the rights to marginal players who will be sent to Europe or Asia to develop.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Even if dharocks is right, it still seems absolutely pointless to have a 3rd round. It certainly doesn't do anything to address parity, as Sheridan is suggesting, unless they also want to push strong teams out of the first round of the draft. Even then, what's wrong with the current system of signing undrafted players? They always get the minimum anyway.

I'm equally confused by why the union would oppose it. Is it just a gambit to change the complexion of the union?

5. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

My guess is so that they can have more unknown prospects (affordable assets with potential to be worth something) to stash away

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

I can't see anything good in terms of basketball quality a 3rd round would add.

7. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Why? The second half of the 2nd round is bad enough.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If this is under serious discussion between the parties along with the union's lunatic counter-proposal, the sides must know a deal will get done soon. How else can you explain tertiary issues like this even coming up at this point?

9. JuanValdez

I wouldn't underestimate the ability of lawyers to quibble over inconsequential matters when the elephant is still in the room.

10. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Did you read the article? It's suggesting that the second and third rounds have 15 picks each. Same number of draft picks as the current system, just split up differently.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Terrible idea - encourages tanking and acts as a disincentive for teams to fight for the 8th seed.

This isn't a horrible idea.

But if they do anything like that, they still aren't addressing the issue with tanking. If anything, this still encourages it.

12. redhotrox

Rockets would get 14th and 29th pick every season. Won't really help us much.

13. Asian Sensation

Excellent points as always.

14. JuanValdez

I don't like this top-8 or bottom-8 ideas. Anything that has a sharp cut-off is just begging for tanking. The only reason the current lottery system works is that it coincides with the cut-off for the playoffs. Honestly, I don't think I've ever heard a recommendation that's better than the system the NBA now uses.

I did, and then went and read it again. Where do you see an indication that a round would be defined as 15 picks?

15. redhotrox

I guess you're right, my bad. I read a different article somewhere else earlier and that's how I understood it. I guess a third round would just be all all 30 teams going in order.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is for the small market teams which are usually bad. With what they are proposing bad teams could become better quickly. In the NBA rebuilding can take years, that's a big problem.

Fans don't want to wait 5 or more years watching a team rebuild.

With the first proposal (Basically the bottom 15 teams getting the entire first round...the top 15 getting the entire second round) bad teams can load up on young talent quite quickly. I like the idea, not sure why you need to add a 3rd round but meh it wouldn't hurt.

17. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

The more you saturate the league with players, the less the salaries will be for each. Atleast this should happen for the third tier players. I think its just a matter of money savings/cap flexability.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Wasn't that long ago when we have many more rounds to the draft. Adding a 3rd round, meaning that the otherwise undrafted FAs like Chuck Hayes, Marqus Blakely, etc. would become 3rd round picks with their draft rights controlled by a team probably isn't going to be game-changer.

19. JuanValdez

I don't see how it would matter unless you changed the league minimum and/or expanded the number of players each team could have.