1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Owners Approve Rule Changes

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Timing, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Timing

Timing Member

Here comes the ZONE!

Owners approve rule changes

Associated Press

NEW YORK – NBA owners approved a package of four rules changes Thursday, one of which eliminates the league's long-standing ban on zone defenses.

Designed to improve the flow and pace of the game, the new rules will go into effect next season.

The changes are:

All existing illegal defense guidelines will be eliminated.

A defensive 3-second rule will be established, limiting the amount of time a defensive player may stand in the lane when he is not closely guarding anyone.

Reducing from 10 seconds to 8 seconds the amount of time a team will have to advance the ball past midcourt.

Redefining what constitutes a foul to allow for brief contact initiated by a defensive player if it does not impede the progress of a player with the ball.

The NBA did not release the result of the vote.

A two-thirds majority was required for passage, meaning at least 20 of the 29 teams were in favor.

------------------
    The ox is slow but the Earth is patient.

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Oh well, there goes Rudy's system. Should be an interesting season next year. Hopefully, if nothing else, this will help the Rockets' quite pitiful defense.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

3. Steve_Francis_rules

I don't think the game will be as entertaining with the zone allowed. Real basketball players should be playing man-to-man anyway.

------------------

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

THIS IS FREAKING BS!!

------------------
    snap crackle pop

5. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

When owners play the game, they should be allowed to make the rules. Right now the players are the ones who have to play, and they have been overwhelmingly against zones, maybe these guys should listen to the people who actually play the game.

------------------
    Founder and President of the Houston Homers Club(HHC) - Are you a homer? Join now!

The Rockets will be NBA champions. Believe.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm ok with the rules. I don't see how it will increase scoring (you'd think if the zone actually helped the other team score points, the defense wouldn't implement it). But, I don't give a damn about scoring more points anyway. I like watching knock-down defensive battles anyway. If you make scoring too easy, it'll be like watching lay-up lines which is worse. When teams have to really work for points, I'm entertained. So bring it on.

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

7. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I think what the zone does is goes back to more traditional basketball. Not many NBA player shave good outside shots nowadays, at least not as many as 15-20 years ago in the NBA.
    It lets the big guys control the lane and give help defensivly but it wioll open up more outside shots from the zone defense.

The outside shooter so fht eleague should be happy! I don't know if it is more exciting, but I know I kind of like it. Maybe I have just watched too many Vince dunks on ESPN!

8. DJ

DJ Member

The NBA should not have changed any rules.

------------------

9. Hydra

Hydra Member

The only ways that Shaq will be taken out of a game are if the refs start calling fouls, or people pull a Barkley and get him to swing at them.

------------------
    "Of course, thats just my opinion, I could be wrong" -- Dennis Miller

10. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

I think that the new rules are going to lead to more 18+ foot jump shots. I don't think that is exciting. I would much rather watch a guy with great one-on-one skills and his defender go at it. The Rockets ran this offense to 2 titles. No one could stop Dream, so they doubled. Guys hit 3's and we won.

I think the new rules will hurt Shaq a lot. Teams will lay off the post-passer and play Shaq with a guy in front and behind him. I think the post game will really start to disappear. Tim Duncan and C-Webb can step out and take their man off the dribble or shoot the 15 footer. Shaq can't do either. I think he will have to get a lot of points off of offensive rebounds next year.

Personally, I think the zone rule is terrible. The 3-seconds in the land for a defender rule is not a big deal. The NBA basically already has that rule with the illegal defense; if the guy you are guarding is above the 3-point line, you can't be underneath the free-throw line. The zone really will just eliminate the post game.

------------------
    - Beck

Dream...bring back the goggles

11. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I think the NBA had to do something. Ratings are down and many fans hate watching one-on-one basketball every time (myself included in that group). I love Cat 7 Franchise but I don't enjoy watching ISOs or PNRs every time down.
    I love to see ball movement, I love to watch a guy hit an open outside jumper, rather than dribbling twice to get closer and having a hand in his face.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

As everyone has stated
    MORE JUMPERS
    LESS DUNKS

Kinda like one of the sports reporters
    were saying . .. about baseball
    people feel bad about low scoring games
    but a pitcher's duel can be entertaining

Well . .. every game will be a pitcher's
    duel . .. if ya shooters on . . you win
    If not . .. you lose

Rocket River

------------------

13. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree that it will eliminate the post game but I disagree that it is not a big deal. What is the point in running a zone if you can't put your center in the lane and have him try to block shots or rebound. All an offensive team has to do is pull their center out and then overload one side, pass to a cutter and there is a good possibility that he will 1)score on a layup or 2)be fouled by the defensive center trying to get back in position to block a shot or help defensively. I think what will eventually happen is that you will see most teams go to a combination of part zone part man. Very similar to what we have today without the illegal defense, allowing players to float around and help out on the perimeter.

CK