1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Overpaid & Underpaid Astros!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Coach Flip, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Gurriel is regarded as one of the best Cuban baseball players of all time. I'm pretty sure he knows how to ****ing hit. And Beltran's leadership has been indispensable this season......you ALREADY have guys like Correa and Bregman talking about how much of a difference having McCann and Beltran in the locker room is making this year. I agree that his bat has been dead this season, and he looks slow, but his impact on the team is very real, and$16M for ONE SEASON is hardly an investment at all. Stop acting like you know everything, especially when you have no problems telling us you barely even watch the sport in the first place.

This act of yours is getting goddamned annoying.

2. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

See below.

#22 Coach Flip, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
  3. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

Oops, screwed up reply again.

#23 Coach Flip, May 25, 2017
  4. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

I heard the same thing last year about Gomez from the Rangers locker room. He still sucks! Of course, Yuli can hit, but why take such a risk on a guy who had zero experience hitting MLB pitching. That's very dumb. My post was about our excessively overrated/overpaid and underpaid/underrated players. I understand the nature of the business, but I see no good arguments to remove any from my list.

5. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

How r****ded are people on this message board? Geez

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  6. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Sure, you can make an argument that Gurriel hasn't turned into any kind of star player, but his performance hasn't been anywhere close to bad enough for his salary to be a detriment to this team. Also, how in the world do you have Reddick and McCann on the overpaid side? A guy that's hitting .289 with 6 HR's and 20 RBI while making $13 million this year isn't anywhere close to overpaid. In fact, you can actually make a good argument that he's worth more than what he is making. Especially considering the upgrade he has provided over OFer's like Gomez and Rasmus from last season. Brian McCann is hitting .269 with 6 HR's and 25 RBI while striking out just as much as he walks and has proved to be a steadying force for pitchers like McCullers and Musgrove when they start to get a little rattled on the mound. He has all the makings of being an all-star catcher this year and he is making $17 million this season and is a vastly significant upgrade over Jason Castro. Sure, Sipp hasn't been great last season or so far this season but $6 million this year is far from overpaying. Beltran at $16 million is the only one you can even make an argument for being overpaid (a weak argument at that). He is only signed through this season, therefore there is absolutely no long-term downside to his contract. AND, like many other posters have said, his leadership in the clubhouse is invaluable. We'd all like to see him start swinging the bat a little better, but that's no reason to say that he is overpaid. So essentially none of the players that you listed as being overpaid even come close to being overpaid.

marks0223 likes this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why did they sign Correa and Altuve? Neither one had experience hitting MLB pitching.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

96 messages, 0 likes.

If we judge him by his own standards, he has yet to prove he can make a quality/likable post, thus should not be given the opportunity to make these asinine posts.

Daddy Long Legs and Fyreball like this.
  9. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

Reddick is a good platoon player, but compared to other outfielders on team like Margo, he's not worth 3X Gonzo's salary. Or perhaps I should put Gonzo in the underpaid list. I'm a huge McCann fan, but I just don't think he's that much smarter or a better hitter than Gattis to make 3X Gattis' salary. When you have so much better pitchers on the staff making much less than Sipp, it's obvious he's overpaid. We all appreciate the upgrades in outfield and catcher, but I think we need to save big bucks by avoiding the crazy big veteran salaries, and focus more on pre-arb and arb guys.

#29 Coach Flip, May 25, 2017
  10. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

'What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.' --Einstein

Astrofan59 likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ok... and what if you are both not right and not popular? What then?

Invisible Fan, NIKEstrad and Joshfast like this.
  12. bobrek

Until one is beyond their arbitration years that is the way salaries work. Since you make things happen, contact the player's association and get that changed.

13. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

I'm almost always right, but open to suggestions. What am I wrong about? Speaking the truth or thinking outside the box?

14. Buck Turgidson

Goddam this is a stupid thread. I'm afraid if I ignore list the guy yall respond and back and forth with him so much that it'll make the threads weird to read. I guess I'm willing to take that chance.

15. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I had him ignore-listed so i didn't even see this thread in the sub-forum; i saw it on the main forum page under last message. The exact scenario you described happened to me. So confused.

16. bobrek

You're not entertained? I can't put him on ignore because I want to make sure I am around for the #billgatesmoney thread.

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I'm not entertained. This guy feels like a troll. Canyonero was truly crazy, which was mildly more entertaining. Either way, both cause clutter and bad discussion in a place that is fighting a turn towards some GARMishness.

18. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

Coach Flip likes this.
  19. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Should we release the young guys once they start getting expensive? Do we need to be cheap like the A's or Marlins (pre-stanton deal)?

20. Major

Major Member

How exactly do you propose getting more pre-arb and arb guys?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.