1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Outside of the refs robbing us, MDA needs criticism for bringing in Nene late in the game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Apr 28, 2019.

1. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

We all know GS exploits mismatches to their advantage better than anybody. Playing Nene, especially late in the game was HORRIBLE coaching. Yes he's a tough defender & good on the boards. But the second he comes in the Warriors eyes light up. MDA gave GS free possessions by allowing Curry & KD the opportunity to go at Nene. THESE COACHING MISTAKES ARE INDEFENSIBLE. I'm a MDA supporter but he lost us this game. Can't let this happen in game 2

chadyang and ClutchFam like this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

It's hard to blame NBA when he just didn't have enough guys that brought it .

If green or shumpert or pj or Clint or house could have given us just a bit more offense we could have walked away with the win

3. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There's just no winning with y'all. He has Nene in, who was +7 by the way, and you get this ****. Instead let's say he has Capela in, who was trash all game and was a -17, and people will complain that Capela can't defend the perimeter. Or lastly he could decide to go small, bench both Capela and Nene, and then we give up a bunch of offensive rebounds and have the same threads about D'antoni being a moron. He can't win.

Tell me who you want to see at the 5 where you wouldn't complain.

4. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

We got robbed of 12+ free throws?. How is it hard 2 blame anybody but the refs?

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

JVG and Breen commented on this at the time. "People are going to ask 'why put in Nene right now? The answer is that they just missed two defensive rebounds in a row.'"

On the previous two possessions, the Warriors had grabbed offensive rebounds. MDA rolled the dice with Nene because our team forgot how to box out and put us in a jam. Get one of those two prior rebounds and everything plays out differently.

6. HookemHorns1250

We gave up multiple offensive rebounds late by going small, he was brought in to help with that.

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I liked the sub when it happened because we couldn’t get a damn rebound. But having him guard Curry was a recipe for disaster and turned it into a bad move.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I disagree, we lost some big rebounds late in the game there, either Nene or Clint had to be in and unfortunately Clint dipped his hands in butter before the game today.

I think a bigger issue is when KD gets hot like that he will literally make every mid range shot or get fouled attempting it. You have to make him pass it or he'll keep moving the score and you have to play perfect on offense and what do we do on the other end? Chuck up a 3.

So GSW is going down there building leads unless we hit chucked up 3s. It's

9. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Really? Does he "need" criticism? Who needs what now?

10. Mr. Space City

Because Capela was trash the whole game, and He went small before that, and Draymond was getting offensive rebounds at will.

He went with the 5 that was working so far and it didn’t work out for him.

If Clint was doing what he was supposed to then Nene would have never been in the game.

If he went with Clint, then he would have continued playing like a p***y and the rockets would have lost.

If he kept playing small then they would have kept getting offensive rebounds and the rockets would have lost.

You’re dammed if you do and your dammed if you don’t.

HstnSprtsFan101 likes this.
  11. JW86

JW86 Member

Seriously, **** all you fans for ******** on that move. If anything, MDA did it too late! The strategy of just Nene on Curry, mistake, but putting him in was the right move and I’m a believer of MDA coaching horribly most of the time.He deserves criticism for lack of timeouts, per usual, little adjustments made etc. but not this!

12. Why not?

Why not? Member

Why did we play Nene at all?? Or Shumpert?? Wtf was that about? House and Faried need all of those minutes. Are we really worried about Bogut's size?

Where was Austin Rivers???

MDA needs criticism for using a boneheaded rotation the WHOLE GAME. Only thing I can think of is that he is trying some sneaky ish where we roll those guys out next game after the Warriors prepared for a much less talented team (the one we played today). I don't know what the heck we are doing playing guys that should be out of our rotation entirely.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I would've liked late game doubling even with his **** game. I'd rather Iggy make an open shot or hand in front of kd than shimmy b**** covering up his turd performance.

But hey, maybe the numbers said he was stinking with clutch shots.

14. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Gotta have Clint in there, D'antoni can't allow his poor play to let him off the hook by having Nene in the game.

Clint needs to fight through these tough games, and D'antoni has to figure out which buttons to press during the game to get him going.

Poor sub by D'antoni, but the bigger issue is that Clint has to play better, and D'antoni has to figure out how to coach him up or something, you can't just sub Nene in every time things get a little hard. Clint isn't a kid anymore, he's getting paid $85 million, he has to show up for us.

15. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Rivers was sick, out for the game.

16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Sorry that was autocorrect, I meant MDA

17. Mike Breen

Mike Breen Member

Terrible coaching decision!

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Nene +/-: +7
    House/Shumpert/Harden: +3
    Capela: -17

napalm06 likes this.
  19. tslee98

tslee98 Contributing Member

What did Kenneth Faried do to get banished to the bench? He's almost as athletic as Capela and he has better offensive skills than Capela and Nene combined. I think he could have made a difference for the team. Maybe he doesn't fit well with Harden, but I think we should give him opportunities when Paul is running the show.

ClutchFam and jboslett like this.
  20. Why not?

Why not? Member

Ahh, fair enough. Thanks.