1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Out of the way things to do in the South?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Downtown Sniper, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Hey guys,

My brother and I are planning a trip again at the end of February and the start of March for around 3 weeks.

Unlike my last trip where I bunkered down in Downtown Houston to see as many Rockets games as possible - we're intending to hire a car and drive around the South.

We have no intention of going to do tourist things or see big tourist attractions - we both love the South and want to visit random small towns and things of the sort.

There's a very, very rough guideline at the moment of flying into Houston for either the game against the Spurs on Feb 27th or the Pels game on March 2 - and if I can convince my brother - see the Rockets game in Atlanta later in March.

If something like that were to happen we'd be driving across Texas, Louisiana, Alabama and Georgia.

Any ideas for those states?

If any of you have suggestions about the South in general not just specifically on that route you'd think I'd drive to Atalanta - would love to hear it.

2. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

You should hang out in New Orleans for a while. Very walkable city. Bars stay open all night. You can drink in public. Its very diverse, and there's a ton of good food. Probably my favorite city in the States (albeit I haven't traveled to the north).

3. mikus

mikus Member

If I recall, Downtown Sniper, you are Aussie right? Bourbon Street in new Orleans will remind you a bit of King's Cross in Sydney. New Orleans is a great city to see, but you may also want to visit the Hill Country in central Texas and check out some of the Caverns or visit Fredricksburg.

4. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

In Houston: San Jacinto Monument (taller than the Washington Monument)

[​IMG]

On the way to New Orleans: Oak Alley Plantation

[​IMG]

In Pensacola: National Aviation Museum (Pictures never do this place justice)

[​IMG]

Georgia : Okefenokee Swamp

[​IMG]

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Stone Mountain in Atlanta, GA.

You can scale the mountain in about 1 hour.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

eat bbq in texas
    http://www.tmbbq.com/central-texas-bbq-road-trips/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MQRiWZOvRg8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Kv1sV6th-s0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#6 tinman, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Damn that BBQ looks good.

What are the lines like at the spot in Pearland?

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I drove by on a Tuesday morning around 10AM. There were three dude bro looking guys waiting already. I need to go on a weekday and eat.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ikeE-TPKtBU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Check out Selma. Driving there will give you both a flavor of where the Deep South is today and what it was during the Civil Rights Era. I can't think of another small town bridge so steeped in meaning.

Oxford is a cool stop with Faulkner's home and Ole Miss. Good eats and stuff there.

I also like the Vicksburg Battlefield.

There's also the NASA facility in Huntsville, AL.

And of course, there is The Blues. Ask locals for good out-of-the-way spots for Blues. Nothing like hanging out in some old shack of a place listening to an old Blues guy riff all night. Great stuff.

11. dragician

dragician Member

and you should check out Bellaire massage parlors... tha best in the bizinz.

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Play some music with the locals

13. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Consider stopping through Mississippi - some great spots there. Jackson is a surprisingly nice / scenic city if you stay in the nice spots. Clarksdale, home of the blues, is great for a stopover during the evening - several great blues joints, good southern food. And close by Clarksdale is Tunica, which is southern mecca if you're into gambling.

Alabama has some excellent state parks and natural beauty, particularly close to the Georgia state line.

Atlanta...you can spend days in Atlanta. The beltline is recently constructed and would be great to walk around. Stone Mountain would be a nice little hike for a view.

15. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

The Tail of the Dragon
    Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap with 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.
    http://tailofthedragon.com/